WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had been on the lookout for a new chronograph for the last year or so and never really found a watch that felt right for me. It just arrived last night, so I was able to take some quick photos with my iPhone. I will follow up with some better photos when I can.

It is a Jaquet Droz Hommage Londres 1774 Chronograph GMT.

I am uncertain as to its exact date of manufacture. J*D Secaucus informed me that only one of these watches had been sold by an AD in the USA (ever), so these watches are quite “odd ducks”. I am having Jaquet Droz search the serial number. I know that the model was introduced at 2003 Baselworld and was sold for ~3-5 years after that.

It is polished stainless steel, and a very comfortable 41.0 x 13.1 mm in size. The hour and minute hand are lumed. The dial has rhodiated appliqué Arabic numbers and concentric finish on the two silver bi-compax registers with blued indicators. The numbers are whimsical in their design and vary in size around the chapter ring. The crown has a sapphire cabochon as a nice touch. The three pushers are large and quite comfortable for a cam based chronograph. The GMT function works smoothly and pricely, advancing the 24 hour register ahead 1 hour per push. The case is WR rated to 30 m and has a sapphire display back.

It is a manual wind watch, powered by the venerable Lemania 1873 (like a Speedmaster). The movement was finished either by Lemania or by Frederic Piguet (J*D had no watchmaking capability back then) and a GMT function was added in the 6 o’clock register position. It is one of the nicest finished 1873s that I have seen.

I had been looking for something thin enough to wear under a shirt cuff, with a nice chronograph movement and no date (easier to set up in a rotation). I had not seen this watch until recently. As you can imagine, I am quite pleased.

J

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts