WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I was looking at this watch the other day. Somehow I missed the 8 SPY spec. I wonder how they are achieving that. Apologies if I am being a complete idiot but aside from careful construction I cannot see anything about the underlying technology that is being employed to achieve HAQ status.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
There are several reviews I've found that mention that 8 SPY. I'd like to see something from Junghans, tho.

My other concern is battery life.

The Max Bills are using the same movement, and look to be just a tad less. These puppies are not cheap.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Not sure it's crossed the pond yet. Junghans USA doesn't show it, and neither does WatchBuys.

Reactions: ronalddheld

·
Registered
351 Posts
In the manual for the J101.65 movement it says:

>>Even without time synchronisation the time shown is always extremely accurate The time deviation range that is possible in quartz mode has been minimised to +/– 8 seconds a year. When worn normally, the watch’s actual deviation is thus 8 seconds a year at most.<<

Battery life is 2 years according to the manual.

Interestingly they are also developing an app for phone synchronization that uses radio signal (no mention of BT)
I know people have made these before, but an official manufacturer app is nice.

These are available in the UK at a 300 GBP premium over a standard quartz £790 vs £490 for a Max Bill.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Actually it might be NFC. NFC's intended as a transient connection, and it shouldn't take much to change the time zone. That's what they said it was for.

2 years...ugh. Not that bad, I suppose. It really does tick off the points otherwise, if it's as advertised, and the size is great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking though the Firstclass watches website. They are currently offering £150.00 off watches over £300. I do not have any connection to the website. I just noticed the offer and thought it might be of use.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I was looking though the Firstclass watches website. They are currently offering £150.00 off watches over £300. I do not have any connection to the website. I just noticed the offer and thought it might be of use.
Looks to be a UK offer. I'm getting 10% off watches over $175, which would still help.

Funny thing. Our resident measurement lovers would probably love to test the 8 SPY...and on that basis it'd be quite appealing, as it's half the price of a 9F. BUT, having the RF makes that impractical, if you actually intend to wear it.

I'm not looking right now. Had I not gotten my Meister hand wound (at about 30% off list)...I might be more interested, but I did. I'm *trying* to hold the line to pieces that have been on my short list for a long time now, or have something compellingly different. That's down to an Omega with a coaxial escapement, and the Citizen caliber 0100. And this has a fairly big strike against it for me...battery.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Nice watch, it even has lume ! They claim it's the "World’s most elegant radio-controlled watch" which is unfair to Seiko and Citizen. Maybe too expensive ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
2 years...ugh. Not that bad, I suppose. It really does tick off the points otherwise, if it's as advertised, and the size is great.
Given Junghans expertise with solar, it's a shame they didn't combine the two technologies to make the ultimate HAQ.

I might still get one, despite the daft battery life.

7 spy + RF sync + Bauhaus styling, what's not to like?

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Given Junghans expertise with solar, it's a shame they didn't combine the two technologies to make the ultimate HAQ.

I might still get one, despite the daft battery life.

7 spy + RF sync + Bauhaus styling, what's not to like?
I have to suspect they're going for aesthetics, especially with the Meister. Solar requires the dial to pass light through to the cell under the dial. Plus, it'll increase the overall thickness.

That said, I'm hoping this is the version 1 of the movement; getting 8 SPY AND connectivity AND RF all in one package is quite the accomplishment. Version 2 with solar may come out down the line...even if it's in a slightly thicker movement, and therefore more into a sport/field style watch.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have just noticed a video/animation promo of the new watch on the Junghans website and it mentioned that the high degree of accuracy is achieviled through a patented 'light barrier' system. Googling 'Junghans light barrier' led me to a press release that contains some pretty dreadful waffle. Here's the best of it :

1. "...maximum time deviation of 8 seconds per year" - despite this boast in the press release, the actual product spec on the website (now strangely removed, along with any mention of '8 SPY', but still available (in German) in the user manual) adds the not-unexpected caveat that this rate is contingent upon 'normal wear'. Standard sort of thing, these days, of course. The stated SPY will be achieved only if you wear the watch consistently, maintaining a fairly stable temperature.

2. Regarding the 'light barrier' system, the press release states "The ITC technology (Intelligent Time Correction) ensures that the position of the second hand is compared with the most recently received time information 1,440 times per day - and adjusted when necessary". 1,440 times per day. For those keeping count at home, that's once per minute. I suppose it sounds more impressive to say 1,440 times per day. So they use a 'light barrier' to check whether the second hand is where it is expected to be once per minute. In other words, this does not, directly, have anything to do with the 8 SPY claim after all. What's important is how closely the IC is tracking time since the last sync.

3. "Even greater accuracy comes from the SHM technology (Smart Hand Motion), which ensures that the watch is even more precise, thanks to the half-second steps of the second hand." Okay, so they have decided to make the second hand move twice per second. Nothing to do with improved accuracy. You could argue that with certain measurement techniques, a greater number of ticks per second allows for a more precise reading, but this is not related to the accuracy of the watch.

4. "The Meister MEGA from Junghans is not just precise, it is also convenient to operate. Time synchronisation of the movement takes place automatically every day." Just like every other RC watch in the world, then.

All that being said, I am still interested to know what approach Junghans have taken to achieving their stated spec. My two existing Junghans HAQs are fantastic performers and whilst I cannot attest to the quality of their more recent offerings, I would love to see if there is substance behind the waffle.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sometimes it is very hard to separate the technical characteristics (the good ones) from the advertising. According to what Tom-HK said, actually we have just a lot of advertising and not really much of technical informations.

As for the claim regarding accuracy related to the wearing pattern, I think it is just an honest claim since it is a true statement for every watchmaker, not just for Junghans...

Nevertheless I expect these new Junghans to be good watches with a lot of accuracy, not mentioning a very classy look.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I don't mind the assertion that they're the most elegant...at least for the Meister. OK, I'm probably a touch biased, just having picked up a Meister hand wound a couple weeks ago. :) But the straight, 3-hand Meister models are classic dress pieces...even formal ones with the right dial colors. I like the looks of the S100, but it's a sport-dress. And I have a Seiko Dolce, which is the dressiest RF Seiko. The Meister's more elegant.

Besides, that's pure puffery. :)

Yeah...nothing in there seems to relate to the fundamental rate accuracy outside the sync window, or at least not to a large degree. I suppose tracking the second hand regularly might avoid small-scale drift due to the movement itself, rather than due to the rate, but I've got no idea how significant that could get.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Way too pricey for a 2 year battery watch. My $300 four year old Citizen RC & Solar does a perfect job.

It looks nice though.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts