WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abraxas spotted this left-crown UX with the GSG9 (the German federal police anti-terrorist unit) logo on a Japanese website:

For comparison purposes, here is the standard UX:

This version (with the crown on the left, and the logo) will be supplied to the GSG9, and will be freely available from Sinn in the future as an alternative to the standard UX with the crown on the right. Watch this space. ;-)

As Mr. Schmidt pointed out during my visit at Sinn, the GSG9 specifically requested the crown on the left side of the case, as well as the large diameter of the UX for ease of reading. The left-crown variant of the UX will replace the EZM2/Hydro in GSG9 service.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thanks for the great info Martin. Very interesting stuff. After looking at the pics for a bit, I am not too taken with the GSG9 version of the UX. I like the original UX. The crown position of the original is not an issue and I like the more uncluttered look.

·
Banned
373 Posts
I think it's a bit strange that they put the GSG9 logo on the dial. I can think of it as a marketing gag for a limited edition. But if I were with the GSG9, I'd prefer a watch not shouting in big letters "look who I am" even when I'm not in uniform. Now, the GSG9 is a police unit, not a military unit, so this might not be much of an issue to them. Just IMHO.

That having said, I am really looking forward to receive my UX.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
ferdinand said:
I think it's a bit strange that they put the GSG9 logo on the dial. I can think of it as a marketing gag for a limited edition. But if I were with the GSG9, I'd prefer a watch not shouting in big letters "look who I am" even when I'm not in uniform. Now, the GSG9 is a police unit, not a military unit, so this might not be much of an issue to them. Just IMHO.
I think the H&K MP5 submachine gun clutched in their hands would give them away before the GSG 9 logo on their watch dial ever did. ;-)

Seriously though, I can't imagine when I'd let someone get close enough to me to peer over my shoulder to read my watch dial as the ~5mm GSG 9 logo is hardly what I'd describe as "big letters."

I think the watch is very cool! B-)

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
XTrooper said:
I think the H&K MP5 submachine gun clutched in their hands would give them away before the GSG 9 logo on their watch dial ever did. ;-)
:-D :-D :-D

I was surprised myself, and certainly would have envisaged a sterile dial for a military/police watch in case of undercover action ... as it is, I specifically double-checked with Mr. Schmidt and he said that the watches going to GSG9 would have the logo, and that they used to mind having the logo, but no longer. B-)

Which is not to say that everyone needs to agree that this is a good idea. ;-)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Indeed, the GSG9 version will be nice as it appears. As for the logo and crown issues, I think we should just let them, the 'professionals', decide what kind of watch they want. I would certainly think that if the logo presented an issue in the past, that they would not be ordering more EZM's with logos B-).
Now the only issue is when and where will they be available. Having the old EZM2 and a UX would be a nice procurement.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I contacted Rob at Watchbuys to see if he had any info about this upcoming model. I wanted to put my name on a wait list if it was possible. Rob said he knew nothing about this model and believes the picture shown is only a photoshopped pic and no real watch exists. He mentioned meeting with Sinn in the upcoming weeks so hopefully more info will be forth coming.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some more updates on the new version:
- The photo is of an early design study, and the design is not finalized yet.
- Changes may still be made to the design at this stage.
- I expect more news to be available around June.

Such is life on the edge of forthcoming developments ... ;-)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't find the left hand crown an issue but I do find it a little too crowded on the dial.

Maybe a simple GSG9 emblem without the words UX and HYDRO could be neater? Just my 2 cents :-D

Still, if only I had the money :roll:

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some more news from my conversation with Mr. Schmidt today:

Work on the GSG9 variant of the UX is continuing, as the unit are asking for a special aspect of the watch which is not that simple to implement, and it may take a little while. (No further info - sorry ;-) ). But you can expect the crown at 10 o'clock.

B-)

·
Banned
373 Posts
Crusader said:
Some more news from my conversation with Mr. Schmidt today:

Work on the GSG9 variant of the UX is continuing, as the unit are asking for a special aspect of the watch which is not that simple to implement, and it may take a little while. (No further info - sorry ;-) ). But you can expect the crown at 10 o'clock.

B-)
I just stumbled over your posting while browsing the archives. I'm wondering whether this technological change has something to do with the assumptions posted in the "UX out of production" thread.

I also wonder what kind of geek feature they might have requested. Integrated garotte to take out sentries? Mini-rocket launcher as emergency backup weapon? Mr. Bond is going to run into serious troubles once his enemies get hold of a GSG UX! ;-)

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ferdinand said:
I just stumbled over your posting while browsing the archives. I'm wondering whether this technological change has something to do with the assumptions posted in the "UX out of production" thread.
No. :)

As far as I understand, the GSG wanted the crown on the left, and a larger, more visible second hand. Whether these goals can indeed be achieved depend on many factors, so I don't know what the outcome will be ... sometimes one realizes at a surprisingly late project stage that a certain requirement is nice-to-have, but not essential, and would make a project much more expensive, resulting in the requirement being dropped or lowered.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I do hope they will soon agree, as I will be keen to see the final product ;-) and possibly buy it if I have the money :think:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi,

a presentation will be minimum sept. 06.....

And I have read in a german forum, that the delivery time for now orderd UX-models will be minimum january, 2007....

cheers
U2inSpe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts