WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have renewed respect for the Apple Watch.

Of the two watches that need to be plugged in at night, my Apple Watch is the oldest. I rarely wear smart watches anymore, but may have just created my perfect beater.

I spend a lot of time playing with my vehicles and without fail, two things will happen when I’m in an upside down, knotted Yoga position under the dashboard of a child-size sports car. First, the tool I need is either in a pocket, outside the car door or lying on the car’s floor under me. The second thing that’s guaranteed to happen is my wife will begin to wonder where I am and call me.

When either of these things happen, I have to extract myself from the maze of pipes and wires and then weave my way back again once I get the tool or phone in hand.

I’ve recently picked up a Leatherman Track Bracelet and find it to be very apt at keeping the things I need at the ends of my arms. Tonight, I noticed my Apple Watch was off it’s charger and when I picked it up had an Epiphany. Together, they may be the best tool ever for messing around in cars.

With a bit of creative modification I’ve added the watch to the bracelet and now have a good number of tools AND my phone attached to my wrist. The watch uses up 2 links of the bracelet and I have small wrists (6.5”), but with a box of sockets balanced on my chest there are still enough links to bring me just about everything I need to my fingertips. And when my handler calls, I’ll be able to answer her without having to do the Watoosie.

Linking the watch was as easy as attaching a standard watch band adapter to the link connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,160 Posts
Cool. People don’t know how slick it is to have a phone on their wrist until they actually use it.

I knew I had seen this adaptation somewhere before, too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your wrists must be larger than mine. For whatever reason, my images are being blocked so I can’t show you what I had to do to save room for one more link. The watch uses up 2 links and the special link to hold it to the bracelet takes up another. With sub 7” wrists, I need every millimeter to get enough links together. Normally this may not be an issue, but the car I’m involved with is a Lotus/Renault combination with both English and metric fittings so I need every link I can get.

Once I figure out the photo thing, I can post a “how to” if anyone’s interested.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,160 Posts
That’s not my wrist, just a pic posted at Leatherman’s site for the tool bracelet.

You got me wondering, though:

To use the bits in the bracelet, you have to take it off, right? But then doesn’t the watch not take a call unless you put it on and unlock it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a first or second edition Apple watch. It only mimics what the phone does. It doesn’t lock down when I take it off. It’s as often as not plugged in and playing music through a BT speaker on the other side of the shop.

I can use the watch to answer if the bracelet is on or off. The speaker doesn’t pick up sounds so I have to shout loud enough for the phone to hear my voice.

I really don’t like having the phone part of the watch around at all, but it’s a favor for my wife. I started out using a cheap I&W tritium beater, but the Apple Watch has come in handy. I’ve added a photo of that as well. Hope they publish. Wish me luck.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts