WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got given this little lot today - pretty stoked. Ref 105.003-64, also known as a "Ed White", Pre Professional.

It'll be a lot of work, and I don't know if everything is there - but its always worth reviving a Speedmaster (I hope) :think: I see new dials are still available - which is very tempting, and it has lost one of the sub dial hands :-(

In between the rust and likely missing parts - this will be a lot of fun! The movement is a Lemania 321, and see new dials are still available, which is VERY tempting.

Wish me luck, this one won't be done in a hurry.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Good luck with that one Kris - it looks a bit difficult to me!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Cool project! Fingers crossed for you. I would be handing it off for sure so I could get it on my wrist ASAP!

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,634 Posts
Oh very nice! If they made one of those in 1964 it would very much be on my wish list.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good luck with that one Kris - it looks a bit difficult to me!
Difficult? Perhaps... Do you mean the rust or the complexity of the movement :-d?

Cool project! Fingers crossed for you. I would be handing it off for sure so I could get it on my wrist ASAP!
Thanks. While I'd love to wear it and have it finished, much of the fun for me is in the rescue :-!

The plating is in good condition, but there are some rusty screws that look like they will be challenging.

So far only 2 movement bits missing/broken - hour wheel (missing) $27 and the stop lever for the hour recorder (broken) $30, plus a few screws.

For the case, need crown $38 and pushers $39, sub dial hand $16, crystal $32 and probably dial $152.

= $372 + freight. I guess it will cost double this for parts in the end.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Looks a fun project, will be great to see the end result. Dont replace to many of the original parts and please post a detailed account of the job. Speedy in one of my fav pieces so a big good luck.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks a fun project, will be great to see the end result. Dont replace to many of the original parts and please post a detailed account of the job. Speedy in one of my fav pieces so a big good luck.
Hey Joe, thanks.

Don't worry - I won't replace too much, but most I listed are simply missing/broken, like the crown and pushers, so little choice there. The dial, since I can buy a real one, I think I will replace as this one is pretty bad - but I will keep the original parts of course. It has got wet at some point, which limits how gentle on can be when bringing it back, and from googling around it seems this one is a bit special, so I will be as careful as I can be not to destroy its historical relevance.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
One of my all-time favorite watches. Good luck on this...the end result will be such a kick-a$$ watch.

I wish I had the skills some of you guys had. I was trying to self-teach myself how to service...but graduate school got in the way. After my thesis is done I'm going back to learning. I've seen how you guys are able to restore watches and it adds a whole new element to this hobby.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,634 Posts
They made these in '64. Different hands, but that's all. No excuses :-d
They did? Yay!

Ahhh... looks like I need to start saving, or as someone said to me recently, start selling some of my unnecessarily large watch collection - though of course the latter is a gross overstatement as I probably only just get into three figures.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know where you can sell a certain auto.

Yes, these are more expensive than I realised. Thank goodness spares are available!

I am becoming more and more enamored with this watch.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
A speedy is certainly on my list. Actually my wife admits to owing me one...

Nice score Trim - Looking forward to seeing the progress.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Look forward to seeing this one on your wrist.

A much sought after and expensive watch indeed.
I'll bet this watch'll hardly be off your wrist when restored.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A speedy is certainly on my list. Actually my wife admits to owing me one...

Nice score Trim - Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Thanks!

Look forward to seeing this one on your wrist.

A much sought after and expensive watch indeed.
I'll bet this watch'll hardly be off your wrist when restored.
I'm looking forward to it too. On the other hand, I've just spent hours attempting to dismantle it - and now my shopping list is longer. It is rustier than it looks, and I'm really stuck on a couple of screws. I'll get there, but no shortcuts here sadly.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I am wearing mine on my wrist as I type. Something about this watch that makes it special even without the NASA connection.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I am wearing mine on my wrist as I type. Something about this watch that makes it special even without the NASA connection.
Heh, yes Joe. This one went to the top of my resto list.

So, update. I've been on holiday for over a week - away from home, but I did get a little done before I left.

I'll be honest - I've really struggled with the rust and getting the screws out. I can see why the watchmaker that originally started to dismantle it, put it away in his draw. If this was any ordinary watch, it would be a parts watch, since that is not an option, the only thing left to do is press on.

Fortunately the balance & hairspring are OK, this will clean up fine. Phew.

Working on dismantling the chrono mechanism, note left handed screw

This is the switch from the dial side, mmmm rusty.

The important wheels and runners have gotten off rust free, the levers and screw are where the damage lies.

Progressing

Could not remove this screw from the spring (the long one) for the hour lever, even after long term soaking in releasing fluid and rust removal the head is fused to the spring. I ended up sacrificing this part, which is proving unfortunately difficult to source.

Got off OK on these hour counter parts, hammer, gear, heart etc all survived...

Almost done on the top plate, removing the escape cock screw was one of the most difficult. The escape wheel was rusty and will be replaced. The hook spring did not survive due to extensive rust, but I have purchased a replacement.

The worst of it, is that unfortunately the operating lever screw will not move. After 3 days of soaking, heat and lots of love, it is still stuck. The problem is, the shouldered design of the screw, means that any rust under the head (rust expands) jams the screw head, the lack of clearance means any particles stay in place. So I have some difficult choices to make here - my priority is making sure I don't damage the plates. I have ordered a new lever and screw, but I am not sure if either will be available - but I probably will have to drill out the screw, unless anyone has any magical ideas.

Top plate off (with the operating lever still stuck), some internal rust to the steel parts. I think I can probably clean up the crown wheel and centre - we'll see. Click and spring are fine. I have sourced a new winding pinion, clutch and stem - so those parts will be replaced.

Train is removed.

FYI (US$):

Current spend: $96.40 (Operating lever spring, hour wheel and stop lever) + $95 (escape wheel and crown) + $15 (stem)

Current orders (not confirmed): $116 (screws, lots of screws - plus some levers) + $40 (Hour lever spring)

Future spend (est): Still need, pushers $70, 1 hand $20, crystal $60 + who knows.

Wish I hadn't added this up - a number of parts cost more than I usually pay for an entire watch. :-(

Still, it will be a cheap for a pre moon Speedmaster :-!

Next update won't be for a while I am afraid.

EDIT: one last thing, I am keeping the original dial, clearer heads have prevailed on this - especially as the new ones from Omega are flat(ish) rather than the pie-pan of the original, which I didn't realise.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Subscribing to this thread! Great pics and best of luck on the project. I can't wait until my 105.012 66 is back from restoration.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
When you mentioned changing the dial I did think it would be different. Are you going to have dial restored or just leaving it. Thanks for sharing looks like you are doing ok at the moment, and just to keep you going here is a pic of mine, its not vintage its new but still great.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts