WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this beautiful watch in a trade and it was a little rough to put it mildly but after hours of polishing and a new mesh its as good as new. This is a 40mm with an rare ETA Big date 2896 movement.It wears more like a 42mm round watch with excellent fit and finish.I now have the options of a black OEM braided Gator ,strap Ostrich in light brown and a mesh. Now I am loving the mesh.
Here is the before

I do like both but the mesh is a great look too.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Nice! The case is shaped a little like the Vacheron Constantin quai de l'ile (without the double-stepped and more intricate lug shape ... also, Panerai?).

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the same watch. It's my favorite. So elegant, unusual, and beautifully balanced. I love the sound if makes, and the way the date numbers move independently and in opposite directions.

I actually love that ostrich. Where did you get it? The lugs are a weird 23mm as I recall.

Congrats. I consider mine a keeper.

D

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
Very nice job! Did you just use a Cape Cod Cloth and a rag, and polish it by hand, or did you use a tool like a Dremel, with a polishing attachment? Any more "before" photos? Maybe some detail shots of before and after? I love seeing pieces being brought back to like-new condition. |> Cool watch, too. Looks great on ostrich strap and bracelet.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Very nice job! Did you just use a Cape Cod Cloth and a rag, and polish it by hand, or did you use a tool like a Dremel, with a polishing attachment? Any more "before" photos? Maybe some detail shots of before and after? I love seeing pieces being brought back to like-new condition. |> Cool watch, too. Looks great on ostrich strap and bracelet.
Thanks to all for the great replies. I used a Cape Cod with a lot of man hours to completely remove the finish. The Ostrich strap came from World of Watches.I have also found a bracelet from Strapcode that will work perfectly on it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I actually like the Ostrich too. So I saw your note about World of Watches, found the 23mm, it was marked down from $200 to $70, then there was a promo offer that just popped up saying I could have it for $25.

So either I just got a "camel" (tan) original ostrich strap with contrast stitching for $25, or I just lost $25.

Stay tuned!

I like the before AND after by the way. I have the original stainless bracelet for this watch, and it is wonderful, but the only flaw is that it doesn't micro-adjust, so the two-way deployant sits a bit off-kilter, and that is a little disappointing. But I was lucky to find it with the stainless. I bought the OEM croc strap on eBay afterwards.

This is one of my keepers.

d.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I don't normally like these sort of watches, but this is very nice. Is the face a lite grey? It looks very rich with the silver hands.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its actually gray but when the sun hits it its a light blue. Very unique dial which I like about it.Its actually has pretty decent lume for a dress watch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts