WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys:
Post just brought it to the house, you're seeing it as I am, I have to run to an appointment but took some quick shots of the unveiling. I'll have more impressions later, I haven't even tried it or read the owner's manual! But first impressions are - awesome! 131 grams, 45 mm wide, 44 mm high and 13 mm tall. Curved case so it fits like a glove. Wish the rubber was a bit thicker, but overall, I'm way impressed!

UPDATES
Got back from my appointment and read through the owner's manual, which is a single sheet of paper. It shows the various bits on the watch and how to set it.

CROWN
The crown could be a bit bigger - I never had a Bullhead watch before, so it seemed a bit strange at first to pull the crown up on the top, but I can dig my finger in there and pull it and I can set it when I'm wearing the watch, which is more than I can say for most side-crown watches!

The crown has 2 positions; they click out smartly as the crown is pulled. First position sets the date; it takes about a full turn to forward the date, which surprised me because it is more distance than I expected but not a problem once you know this. At first, I didn't understand why the date wasn't moving when I turned the crown only 1/4 turn or so!

Second crown position sets the hands in the normal fashion and the watch hacks, of course (listed as a Miyota Japan OS10/OS1A movement; SR927W battery).

CHRONO BUTTONS
The button on the left is "A", it starts, stops and restarts (if desired for a split timing) the chrono seconds counter, which is the sweep seconds hand, not the small seconds hand in the right side sub-dial. I think this is correct Pil/Mil style, so if you need the chrono seconds counter function at night, you can see the big sweep seconds hand better than the little dial.

When you stop the seconds hand with the A button, press the B button on the right and the chronos are reset back to Zero. When you do this, the sweep seconds hand will quickly move all the way around clockwise back to zero, even if it was stopped at just one second. Cool...

SUB-DIALS
The sub-dial on the left counts off minutes up to 60. Now there's a third dial on the bottom with markings 3,6,9 and 12. There is nothing in the manual about this! Strange -- I assume though it counts off hours, one hour every time the left-hand sub-dial gets to 60 minutes. But the instructions specifically say that the watch will only count to 59 minutes 59 seconds. I'll send an email to Chris Weigand to see what's up.

The right-hand sub dial is a continuosly moving seconds; it moves no matter what the rest of the watch is doing, unless, of course, the stem is pulled out, so you can hack the watch. It looks weird to have the bigger sweep seconds hand moving asynchronously with the sub-dial seconds hand, but amusing.

The chrono function buttons are a bit flabby feeling; no strong detent. It seems slightly easy to press one or the other by mistake as I'm fitting my hands down to grab the crown, so those with bigger fingers may find this a bit of a problem.

DATE WINDOW
The date is hard to read because it uses small and thin numbers and almost what appears to be a light gray or off-white paint. Not a problem, and I'd just as soon not have a date anyway!

STRAP
The watch strap is 26 mm wide at the top and 22 mm at the tip, just before it angles in. The band material (I think it's silicone) is only 3 mm thick at the lugs, which I think is a bit too thin; I'd like to see 5 mm at least. But it will be easy enough to change.

Otherwise the strap is very comfy and the combination of case size and band length allows me to find the perfect hole for my 7.125" wrist to get everything perfectly snug but not too tight, not too loose. The watch wears high, but feels good and nearly disappears because of the curved bottom shape and comfy wide strap.

CRYSTAL
The crystal is sapphire and AR coated on both sides; thus the blue look in my photos. The face is actually black but appears blue even to me, depending on how the light hits it.

LOOKS AND STREET CRED
The screw heads around the top look great and business-like, and the PVD coating is first-rate. The A5 looks like a bad*ss watch, for sure! I bet this one will get loads of comments.

By the way, who knew the orange lume would actually glow orange? Not me -- I assumed it would luminize (is that a word?) as white, not orange. Very cool!

Definitely the best/nicest quartz watch I own. My feeling is serious timekeeping watches like Pil/Mil watches should be quartz anyway, for the accuracy and stability and hacking ability also. This one definitely fits the bill!

UPDATE 3: Took the oyster off (see pics below) and put the original Lum-Tec strap back on -- it was more comfortable (i.e., stretchy).

UPDATE #2 - More Photos:
Here's the true face color, plus I remembered I had a 26 mm oyster silicone strap from Panatime, so I threw it on to see how it would look, what do you think?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can't wait until my Lum-Tecs are ready to ship. The anticipation is a killer.

Beautiful lume for sure. Hope you give us a in-depth review soon.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Nice :-! I love the B&R case style but the flat case doesn't sit that nicely on the wrist. The curved case looks like a great solution. I like the bullhead setup, too.

And wow that's some lume! What ISO and shutter speed was that taken at? Obviously the exposure was less than a second. Mebbe ISO800, judging from the noise? How long does the lume keep glowing? Can you use it to read in th dark? :-d

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice :-! I love the B&R case style but the flat case doesn't sit that nicely on the wrist. The curved case looks like a great solution. I like the bullhead setup, too.

And wow that's some lume! What ISO and shutter speed was that taken at? Obviously the exposure was less than a second. Mebbe ISO800, judging from the noise? How long does the lume keep glowing? Can you use it to read in th dark? :-d
Like it says right on the photo (;-)), f8.0 for 2 seconds. The camera was set at 400 ISO; it's a Nikon D70 and I'm using a Nikon 60 mm Micro (macro) f2.8 autofocus lens.

I charged the lume with an LED flashlight for a few seconds. It doesn't take much to get the lume going - when I sit at the desk and then walk down a semi-dark hallway, the lume is already semi-activated.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lum-tec looks great! :-!

What's that watch you're wearing during box opening? It looks great too.
Haha! I stuck that in there, wondering if someone would ask! ;-)

Picked it up on the WUS sales forum, it's a Vostok Aviator automatic, 44 mm across. One of my favorite beaters.

I put it on the white stitched Glycine strap I had laying around. It was +1:30 when I got it, and some messing around brought it back down so it runs almost exactly to the second all day long when I'm wearing it.

If I lay it down face up overnight, it gains about 10 seconds, but if I wear it or lay it crown up, it runs within a couple of seconds every 24H. It has the 2416 movement and excellent lume. The watch comes in PVD also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts