WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my name is Jean-Philippe, I'm a 35 years old french firefighter and professional scuba diver (so excuse in advance my poor english).

My story with G-Shocks begins in 1983 with a birthday gift from my grand mother : a DW-5000, needless to say I was the proudest boy on earth...b-)
I wore it day and night for about 10 years (!) then I bought my second one to go to the army, a DW-5900. When I was in Paris I saw the first illuminator watche, and I had to buy one absolutely ! It was a DW-6600, a really great one, one of my favourite G's.
In beetween my grandmother (her again !) bought me a DEP-600, the only non-G shock I ever got.
For the fun my ex-girlfriend bought me a DW-003 G-Lide yellow with a double velcro band (hey... it was the 90's and the color was cool !)
Then, no more G-Shocks for a while, till my 30th birthday, when I decided to get a nice Frogman for my job. In fact I obtained a Seaman DW-9950... Man I love this watch !

The fact is : when I wear a watch, I wear it night and day, all year long, wherever I go, surfing, snowboarding or scuba diving for the job... So my G-Shocks are quite...dead when I change :oops:
But two days ago I saw on the web that I could change the watchbands and even the "bezel" (I didn't know the word, and I didn't know it could be changed !) so I decided to slowly repair my watches, and give them a second youth.

But I also decided to begin a little collection of G with my favourite model : the frogman of DW-82XX or DW-99XX series, and most specifically the Men in colours models (depending of the thickness of my wallet, of course). By the way... I'd love to see a MIRO frogman !!

Oh ! I forgot in my "collection" (in fact it's not a collection because I wear each watch I have) a G-Shock I have been given by my fire department for the scubadiving : I don't know the reference but it's not a very nice one, it's like if the metal round of the frogman was in cheap grey plastic, I have to find it (no more battery and the little "loop" of the band is destroyed)

Voilà ! G Shocks are not my only passion in life, I'm a big fan of Jeeps of all kind but most CJ7, CJ5 and JK Wranglers... (I own one Sahara JK Unlimited), I also like stuff like Leathermans and Maglites (hem hem... I realize now that I write it that I must have a problem with my virility, or something like that :think: )

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
dude, welcome to the forum !!!

u have to show us ur DW-5000. that is just way tooo sweet.

and your grandmother has such great taste in Gs.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Welcome, Jean-Philippe. :)

And don't worry about your English - as you can see, it's better than mansrow's. :-x

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :-! It sounds like you've found the right place.

You've really experienced the full range of G-Shocks over the years. You'll have to post some pics. :)

BTW - Jeeps and the other stuff do indeed go nicely with G-Shocks. You gotta love rugged well-made stuff that lasts.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Hi Jean

Welcome to the asylum!

I am sure a lot of members would love to see a photo of that old DW-5000 if you still have it.

Mitch

·
7,428 Posts
Hi Jean,

Welcome to the forum :-! I have to echo members requests for that photo of the DW-5000. I look forward to many more posts, and remember, you too can abuse Mansrow ;-)

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Welcome to the forum JP! And yep yep love those jeeps too...:p:p:p:-!:-!:-!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Jeeps and the other stuff do indeed go nicely with G-Shocks. You gotta love rugged well-made stuff that lasts.[/quote]

|>|> nicely said Riley.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much for your welcome guys ! :-d
You're right, I love that kind of stuff that lasts, I just hope G-Shocks will have such a great career than the Jeeps... 65 years old and always in fashion...

Well about the DW-5000 I'm afraid I won't be able to put a picture of it, after many years of service, it is retired... well...in the trash :oops:
The watchband and the bezel totally went into dust, only the display module (?) remained. I used it as a "table watch" for a time, and then throw it away I think, I don't remember well...

Well, I wouldn't want that the same thing happens to my Seaman, does anybody knows if the Seaman's bezel can be found aftermarket ??

·
Registered
79 Posts
hello jean!

welcome to the forum and don't worry about the English..its perfectly fine.:-!..another question..did you use your frogman for your diving trips?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts