WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post.. I've read a few of the threads on here and everyone seems like keen watch enthusiasts which is great. I've been for a few years now, although im still really only getting started. Just to show you I've attached a pic of my collection thus far.

As my fellow australian's may know the second hand market for quality watches is pretty slim in this country. I've bought a couple of watches from ROLEX OMEGA PANERAI CARTIER watches by Nicholas Hacko, watch dealer Sydney - Australia and have been reasonably satisfied. I've found a couple of others and my question is has anyone bought from them (below), if so were they happy and is there anyone else you'd reccommend.

Watch Dealer. Buyers, Sellers & Traders of Secondhand Luxury Watches
Armadale Watch Gallery
Watches

Cheers:-!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Okay, I have not dealt with the three you mentioned but I have heard nothing untoward about them. As you said it's a small market so these guys do have reputations to keep. The first site you have listed I believe is for consignment stock, private sellers.

I have dealt with Brisbane Vintage Watches, Fredman SVW (Sydney Vintage Watches) same owners and The Watch Gallery, which is different from the Armadale Watch Gallery, all have been great to deal with.

There are others but I know little about them. The Swiss Watch Box in Perth, Kalmar Antiques, Ferntree Gully and Watch, Master Watchmaking in Sydney.

There may be more but these are the ones I'm aware of. They all have websites, let me know if you have trouble finding any sites.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi,

I havn't found anymore except those listed above on line. I have bought from Hako & Fredman. Best of all is the WUS forum, i have bought 2 second hand watches from local (Aussie) posters from the forums with no problems.

·
Registered
862 Posts
With the prices some of the local second dealers charge, you might be better off buying new from some of the recommended overseas ADs and taking advantage of the strong Oz dollar. Happy to PM some recommendations if you want. I can't comment on second hand pieces but Perth is probably the last place I'd buy a new watch. I guess it's to be expected in a city where a $10 pint of beer seems like a bargain.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I bought a very nice Seamaster 1961 from Kalmar Antiques in the queen Vic' building. It was and remains an incredibly beautiful example.....although at $2600 was not cheap. They were great. They know their stuff and don't sell rubbish. They also have a very nice range of used and vintage.

I have heard great things about Hacko, really, although his resale prices were not one of them.

A local forum or subsection for Aus would be great. It certainly would make buying and selling a whole lot easier and less stressful.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I bought a very nice Seamaster 1961 from Kalmar Antiques in the queen Vic' building. It was and remains an incredibly beautiful example.....although at $2600 was not cheap. They were great. They know their stuff and don't sell rubbish. They also have a very nice range of used and vintage.

I have heard great things about Hacko, really, although his resale prices were not one of them.

A local forum or subsection for Aus would be great. It certainly would make buying and selling a whole lot easier and less stressful.
Ive always been afraid to walk through the doors of Kalmar... which is a pity because i keep eyeing a Submariner in the window, i just know i need more money!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks brisman I'll take a look at the sites you mentioned. I have looked at the Swiss watch box's site and been to their shop. Whilst I'm sure they'd be fine to deal with I was not impressed with their prices or the quality of the second hand stuff they had - comparable prices to 9/10 eastern states stuff for watches that are 6 or 7s. Don't know about you but im pretty particular about my watches and that just won't do.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yes, hako's a bit on the expensive side hence why I'm looking for other places to buy from. My friend recommended him and he's certainly professional and buying from him provides peace of mind, but not the place to get a deal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the prices some of the local second dealers charge, you might be better off buying new from some of the recommended overseas ADs and taking advantage of the strong Oz dollar. Happy to PM some recommendations if you want. I can't comment on second hand pieces but Perth is probably the last place I'd buy a new watch. I guess it's to be expected in a city where a $10 pint of beer seems like a bargain.
Thanks omjlc I may take you up when I'm ready to buy, probably not for another few monts atm. Yes definitely not, everything is crazy expensive, I was reading an article recently and the a grade Perth office market is currently the 7th most expensive in the world, ridiculous.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi Danny

I have dealt with several local dealers over the last few years, all (apart from Clockmaker) based in Melbourne.

Watchtrader is owned by Darryl Middleton who is a good guy - highly recommended. I have sold several of my watches through him.

Armadale Watch Gallery is owned by Shonie - I have mainly dealt with Bruce, his off-sider. Another very good and reputable operator - they have a nice selection of watches (especially Rolex), and their prices are usually pretty reasonable.

The Watch Gallery is owned by Chris - not purchased from him before, but he seems reputable and would do so without hesitation.

Watch Time is owned by Lewis - have purchased new watches from him but not second hand. Seems reputable.

Clockmaker is owned by Nicholas Hacko - reputable but his prices are often a bit 'out there'.

HTH

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just on a side point are you a member on Hako's email subscriber list. He has had a lot to say in the last 24hour about cost of repairs through big watch groups, interesting read
Yes I am actually. Very interesting read, he certainly makes his oppinion known. Those service prices he reffered to are ludicrous. Certainly a worrying trend, I wanted to buy an IWC and a JLC at some stage...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Danny

I have dealt with several local dealers over the last few years, all (apart from Clockmaker) based in Melbourne.

Watchtrader is owned by Darryl Middleton who is a good guy - highly recommended. I have sold several of my watches through him.

Armadale Watch Gallery is owned by Shonie - I have mainly dealt with Bruce, his off-sider. Another very good and reputable operator - they have a nice selection of watches (especially Rolex), and their prices are usually pretty reasonable.

The Watch Gallery is owned by Chris - not purchased from him before, but he seems reputable and would do so without hesitation.

Watch Time is owned by Lewis - have purchased new watches from him but not second hand. Seems reputable.

Clockmaker is owned by Nicholas Hacko - reputable but his prices are often a bit 'out there'.

HTH
Thanks fo the information bhall41, I have noticed some watches on the sites I mentioned that are quite attractive, but I'm not too keen to buy from people/sites I'm not familiar with. We do part with large amounts of money essentially on trust after all, especially when we buy sight unseen, so references help ease the mind.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Thanks fo the information bhall41, I have noticed some watches on the sites I mentioned that are quite attractive, but I'm not too keen to buy from people/sites I'm not familiar with. We do part with large amounts of money essentially on trust after all, especially when we buy sight unseen, so references help ease the mind.
No worries - I approve of your watch wishlist BTW.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I'm yet to purchase from any of them, but have spoken or visited the following:

watchrader.com.au - Darryl seems to be a good guy, and he has quality stock that is serviced/and or in great condition. We spoke at length when I was looking to move a few watches through him and found him very personable. Very knowledgeable, and the only reason I haven't sold/bought through him is that I can find better deals myself and have the ability to sell watches on my own.

Armadale Watch Gallery - Have been in before. Nice stock, good service and accomodating. Would hapily purchase from there. In fact they have a few nice examples in there at the moment which I've been eyeing off...

Watches (Antiquorom) - Good variety of stock, accomodating staff and decent prices.

I usually purchase Anonimo's, as well as having a thing for Linde Werdelins at the moment, so none of these stores generally carry a selection (bar Antiquorom which occassionally has 1 or 2) of these hence me not purchasing from them. I always keep a look out for what they have in stock though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No worries - I approve of your watch wishlist BTW.
Thanks, you may have noticed the first one is awfully specific. I've been wanting one since I saw it a few years ago, I'll be looking to get it some time this year hopefully. Everything else is up in the air. I'm actually also very interested in getting some sort of swiss skeleton watch that looks good but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The only one I've seen is the Oris Artelier Skeleton, not sure about Oris though.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Thanks, you may have noticed the first one is awfully specific. I've been wanting one since I saw it a few years ago, I'll be looking to get it some time this year hopefully. Everything else is up in the air. I'm actually also very interested in getting some sort of swiss skeleton watch that looks good but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The only one I've seen is the Oris Artelier Skeleton, not sure about Oris though.
Nothing wrong with Oris except that the watches on your wishlist are in a different league.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Walked in Brisbane vintage watches and got myself some nice stuff there. I had to agree that 2nd hand stuff in Aus is much more higher than other part of the world. Paid some top bucks for some watch i purchased there but satisfied with the purchase (last item that i will ever sell)

Never buy any stuff from other dealer mentioned here but i had to admit some of them have nice stuff in store. |>

1 - 20 of 87 Posts