WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Ha, I have that particular G ordered! As far as finding a budget auto, you cannot go wrong with what you have already read about. There are some Victorinox's that seem to run in that range, Wenger is an ok buy (both Victorinox and Wenger are quartz), Invicta 8926 seems to be pretty successful, Orient Mako or Sub clone are all good buys. I'm not sure about a 8926 movement, did you mean 2824-2 ETA in the Croton's? Also, look for the Gruen automatics on eBay that often sell for around 60-80 and come stuffed with a real 2824 auto, mine is less than a second off a day.

·
5,110 Posts
Question:
I'm surprised to see relatively few croton recommendations. I understand they make a couple divers with the 8926 movement, and their japan-quartz movement watches are very reliable too. So.... Why aren't forum members recommending them as much?
I think Crotons are generally good watches in the low to medium price range and they do come with a lifetime warranty. Their main stumbling block seems to be styling... they just haven't come up with anything that appeals to a broad segment of the forum members. If you do find a Croton you like, give it a shot. The ones I've owned are well built and good performers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Croton does seem to try too hard on some of their designs - most of mine are in the "wear with a suit and tie" or to the holiday ball category. But, here is a Croton with Citizen Auto and 200 meter water resist - pretty tough watch for < $100. You may also want to consider looking at the Vostok Europe line - very nice range of affordable styles in jeweled auto movements. I am also a big fan of Citizen Eco Drive and Seiko kinetic models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts