WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow watch collectors:
I love watches - have been ever since my dad gave me a beat up seiko manual wind when I was an eight year old kid (back in 1969). I've got a box full of watches, including a Hamilton Converta III, Zenith El Primero, Breitling, Ball, Omega, and an assortment of other vintage and modern Swiss, German, and Japanese wristwatches. My wife thinks I'm a nut.

My father gave me this Omega Constellation back in 2006, about 3 months before he passed away. He told me that he bought it from a store in Chicago sometime during 1958. The case back, serial number, and caliber points to it as being a watch made in 1958. The serial number is 16253215. I'm hoping someone can tell me if the dial is correct for this particular model (I don't think it is). The word "Constellation" on the dial is not in cursive, which is not consistent with Constellations from 1958. I remember that my father had it repaired sometime during the mid 1980's. The crown broke so he had it replaced with a new crown, and also had the watch completely cleaned. I'm guessing the dial was replaced with a new dial when he had the crown fixed.

Let me know your thoughts about the dial. Thanks!!

Omega Const 1959.jpg
O_const_2.1.jpg
O_const_case2852_1.jpg Omega_c_1.1.1.jpg

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Welcome! Very nice Constellation. I believe the dial was redone/refinished rather than replaced. This wasn't unusual back then, it probably started to show some age. It's a nice piece to remember your father by. :) Here are two originals:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply Kyle - you've got a couple of very nice watches! So the non-cursive "Constellation" dial is correct? Thanks again!
--------------------

Welcome! Very nice Constellation. I believe the dial was redone/refinished rather than replaced. This wasn't unusual back then, it probably started to show some age. It's a nice piece to remember your father by. :) Here are two originals:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Thank you for your reply Kyle - you've got a couple of very nice watches! So the non-cursive "Constellation" dial is correct? Thanks again!
--------------------
Well, the dial itself (the metal) is original to the watch, but the paint now on top of the metal is not original. The Constellation should be cursive. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, helps very much. Thanks!!
---------------------

Well, the dial itself (the metal) is original to the watch, but the paint now on top of the metal is not original. The Constellation should be cursive. Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts