WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I joined a few months back but haven't yet posted. It's a rainy day here on my vacation in the woods of western Michigan, so I'm indoors, perusing Russian watch info online. What else is new? I figured this would be a good time to say hi.

A little about me:
My name is Matt and I am a hobbyist / modder / collector with a relatively serious Russian watch problem. I bought my first Vostok in Dresden on October 3, 1990. I can remember the date because it was reunification day in Germany. I was traveling with a band and we had played Dresden the night before. We had the day off and I was walking around the city, thinking how cool it was that just yesterday, this was the DDR, now it's... just Germany. I happened upon an old office building converted into a makeshift flea market. Inside, the small offices were filled with stuff for sale spread out on the desks and tables. Everything was for sale. Dehydrated potato flakes and evaporated milk to Soviet MIG parts. I recall the office furniture was for sale as well. It was as if some government bureau had just abandoned the place and the newly unemployed employees figured, well, let's sell stuff. I spotted a table of interesting Soviet memorabilia. I pointed to the Komandirskie with the cool tank on it. I think it was 5 DM, so I bought it and wore it for years. It still runs, to this day!

Fast forward to about 6 years ago when I discovered all of the cool variations of Vostok for sale online. I bought several used watches from various sellers because they were so cheap, but would immediately discover that a movement soaked in vegetable oil isn't really "serviced". I began stripping them down and trying to get them to function with some luck. Balance wheel from one, barrel from another. Let's just say I have quite a pile in the parts drawer. This led me to discover Meranom, where I could order a new movement and transfer the old dial and hands. Then, I started ordering cases and bezels... and it got out of hand.

Lately, I have mostly been piling up 3133 chronos. Today, I'm wearing my favorite among them, the fabled "final run" OKEAH from batch two, or maybe three (four?), of the final run of this beauty.

Sorry for the long intro, but like I said It was raining. Now it's clear and the outdoors is calling. I hope all who read this are having a wonderful day, and thank you to all for the deep well of helpful knowledge I have found in the pages of this forum.
-Matt (3AKA3)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum!
I was traveling with a band and we had played Dresden the night before. We had the day off and I was walking around the city, thinking how cool it was that just yesterday, this was the DDR, now it's... just Germany.
Did your band happen to be at the Berlin Wall? 😂

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Welcome! As you've probably noticed there is quite a bit of knowledge here on Russian / Soviet time pieces. I am not one to ask when it comes to such things as I am new to collecting Russian/Soviet watches but I've asked quite a few questions here and have always gotten responses. I've bought a handful of new Vostok watches but I particularly enjoy searching and finding older ones, some have been lemons and others are working quite well but when I purchase them I don't spend much money. Overall I think I prefer the older somewhat beat up case, little bit of fading on the dial preferably soviet era time pieces ... they just feel a little nostalgic to me

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome! As you've probably noticed there is quite a bit of knowledge here on Russian / Soviet time pieces. I am not one to ask when it comes to such things as I am new to collecting Russian/Soviet watches but I've asked quite a few questions here and have always gotten responses. I've bought a handful of new Vostok watches but I particularly enjoy searching and finding older ones, some have been lemons and others are working quite well but when I purchase them I don't spend much money. Overall I think I prefer the older somewhat beat up case, little bit of fading on the dial preferably soviet era time pieces ... they just feel a little nostalgic to me
Me too, I like a watch that looks like it has a story to tell.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Welcome, Matt...

You have come a long way in your watch journey - you should have lurked here since years ago. LOL.
Anyway, that's quite a unique collection you have and may you wear those in good health.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Welcom, my friend

You did share very nice personal story about your watches. And your story speaks in very good way how watches can be something more than just mechanical item...Real, interesting and huge stories/memories can be behind them.

Enjoy here, among friends.

Послато са SM-N985F помоћу Тапатока

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Welcome comrade, there may still be time for you to get an incredible deal on a some Russian "watches for real men."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome, Matt...

You have come a long way in your watch journey - you should have lurked here since years ago. LOL.
Anyway, that's quite a unique collection you have and may you wear those in good health.
Welcom, my friend

You did share very nice personal story about your watches. And your story speaks in very good way how watches can be something more than just mechanical item...Real, interesting and huge stories/memories can be behind them.

Enjoy here, among friends.

Послато са SM-N985F помоћу Тапатока
This intro is so cool! Thanks man, I've read sort of Palahniuk's story right now)))).
thank you guys for the warm welcomes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome comrade, there may still be time for you to get an incredible deal on a some Russian "watches for real men."

thank you, comrade. Very interesting watch!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Back home from the woods and I dug out my old tank.

View attachment 15500220
Hello Matt, is this the Komandirskie tank that you bought in Dresden on October 3 1990?

If it is then it would prove a theory of mine that production of black 306 tank dials with "CCCP" marking at 6 o'clock ceased well before the end of the SU in December 1991, hence the scarcity of watches with such dials...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Matt, is this the Komandirskie tank that you bought in Dresden on October 3 1990?

If it is then it would prove a theory of mine that production of black 306 tank dials with "CCCP" marking at 6 o'clock ceased well before the end of the SU in December 1991, hence the scarcity of watches with such dials...
Hi Avidfan, yes, this is the one.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hi Avidfan, yes, this is the one.
For Komandirskie collectors this is really interesting, as it proves that what are often called "transition" dials with no country of origin at six o'clock and often thought to be from 1992 or later were actually made in the last couple of years of the Soviet Union (at least for the 306 black tank dial) and it also explains why there are no contemporary images of black Soviet tankists in any of the catalogues...

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
For Komandirskie collectors this is really interesting, as it proves that what are often called "transition" dials with no country of origin at six o'clock and often thought to be from 1992 or later were actually made in the last couple of years of the Soviet Union (at least for the 306 black tank dial) and it also explains why there are no contemporary images of black Soviet tankists in any of the catalogues...
very interesting

1 - 17 of 17 Posts