WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I’ve been lurking on WUS for almost 1 year now since I was bitten by the horology bug thanks to YouTube and plenty of free time due to the pandemic. I’m located in the Northeast of the United States and am currently a high school history teacher and track coach. I would like to share my best recollection of when my interest in watches first began, some of my first watches, and finally my current collection.

If I remember correctly, my first ever watch was a black and red X Games-themed digital watch that my parents bought me from JCPenney prior to an overseas trip to Australia during my 6th grade summer, so around 2002 I believe. I loved that watch (I was a big X Games fan at the time) and wore it until the strap broke. I then acquired a gasp fashion watch from JCPenney, a J Ferrar brand dive-style watch with a blue dial and orange hands. The bezel was terribly loose, the bracelet cheap, but I wore that watch a ton. In the following years I owned a Fossil watch, and a Timex easy reader style with an expansion band, along with a few Timex digital solar sports watches. There were periods when I didn’t wear a watch at all, and other times I wore one everyday.

Fast forward to say 5-7 years ago and I purchased a Timex Expedition Chronograph, not knowing its function but liking the look.

Fast forward to the pandemic and I fell down the rabbit hole of Watch/Horology YouTube, mainly as a result of looking for a watch to wear at my wedding. 1 Orient Bambino later, I now own a collection of 10 mostly “affordable” watches that I love for either the design/function, sentimental value, or a mixture of both.

I am looking forward to contributing to and learning from this community. Below is my current collection:
Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Font

Below is the “oldest” watch purchase, a Timex Expedition Chronograph. Next is the first major gift my wife gave me for our first Valentine’s together as a couple, a Perry Ellis dress watch. Third, a field-style Timex I gifted myself for Christmas about 2 years ago. Fourth, another present from my wife, for our first anniversary as a couple, a Fossil Chronograph with a special inscription on the case back.
Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Watch accessory

Now to my wedding watch from this past October, an Orient Bambino, my first automatic watch and one filled with joyous memories of course. Next a Hamilton Khaki Quartz that was a phenomenal day-of wedding present from my wife.
Watch Analog watch Product Clock Watch accessory

Next, two true beginner watch enthusiast picks, the Casio Duro and the G-Shock DW5600. Then a Timex I discovered when helping my dad clean out my grandpa’s nursing home room after his passing in November 2021. I don’t know it’s story but it’s a connection to my grandpa. It was originally on a bracelet that after cleaning was still a little dirty, so I order this Gulf livery strap to match the orange seconds hand. Last but not least, a DIY Watchclub vintage-pilot-style watch that was a birthday present from my wife this year (I’m so very lucky!) I assembled it in just under 2 hours and of course have a special connection to it.

Watch Analog watch Product Clock Watch accessory

Thanks for reading and will see you around the forums!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forums and nice collection of watches. Look forward to your participation. I see you have the Timex chronograph. Have you looked into any cool stop watches?
Thank you! I honestly don’t use the chronograph complication as I don’t necessarily need it, I originally just liked the look before learning more about their use. For coaching track, I use digital Ultrak stopwatches. I have not gone down the stop watch rabbit hole yet and will be staying far away (my wallet is already groaning just hearing about it ha). Though I did see a really nice Breitling stop watch in an antique store in Bangor, Maine on our honeymoon but did not purchase it. A missed opportunity perhaps.

·
Registered
Citizen, Seiko, Hemel, Elliot Havoc, Timex
241 Posts
Welcome to the Community - nice collection!
I’m a noob myself but I can tell you there are some great supportive folks here that won’t enable you at all … much … really … honest …
🙄

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can pick up some cool vintage ones and some Russian ones that are very accurate and cheap. I hope you enjoyed Bangor. Just never ever go there in winter!!!
I’ve dabbled a bit in researching both vintage and Russian watches, but I’m happy with my collection, for now ha. Those options may be in my future though.

It was really wonderful, we stayed outside Acadia down a dirt road on a lake in the fall, it was beautiful. We previously were in Lake Placid in February two years ago, despite the frigid conditions it was awesome! Just have to bundle up!

·
Registered
770 Posts
A nice broad collection. i agree your Grandfather's watch looks great on that strap and I know it must feel good to wear it and the memories that brings. Your wife sounds like a keeper. Will be curioius what you get next. I have the Hamilton Khaki in its mechanical version and enjoyed winding it daily while I wore it. It could easily have been my one and only but. . . .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A nice broad collection. i agree your Grandfather's watch looks great on that strap and I know it must feel good to wear it and the memories that brings. Your wife sounds like a keeper. Will be curioius what you get next. I have the Hamilton Khaki in its mechanical version and enjoyed winding it daily while I wore it. It could easily have been my one and only but. . . .
Thank you so much, giving it new life and just seeing it in my watch box is a nice way to remember him, as he was my last living grandparent. My wife definitely, definitely is a keeper, I’m so very very lucky. :)

I like the ease of the Quartz but have always liked their mechanical options too. And ah the myth of the one and only, I hear you!:LOL:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If you stick around here for more than a year, I can almost guarantee that a portion of your current collection will be shuffled off to make way for pieces that further define your ideal aesthetic. Building a more focused visual profile takes time but it's also part of the fun.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
22,168 Posts
Welcome, great collection! I almost missed the G-Shock on the pic. The Timex on colorful strap just looks like a fun wear!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts