WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new member and new to fine watches. I have previously owned £200 quartz watches but now I am looking for a real watch, it will be a wedding present from my fiancee and a significant investement.

I started looking at watches a week ago and after some advice from a friend at work I was drawn to Omega watches.

After looking at some over the weekend I am very close to purchasing a Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronograph GMT (231.10.44.52.06.001) OMEGA Watches: Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronograph - Steel on steel - 231.10.44.52.06.001

Whilst looking at watches I heard a few things that I wanted clearing up.

Firstly, is this watch to be discontinued. One of the dealers couldn't get hold of it even though it is in the new section on Omega's website. Does anyone know why it has been discontinued?

Secondly, there seems to be some issue over how long the dealers in Southampton will remain accredited stockists/suppliers of Omega products. Currently there are three suppliers, Pickets and Pursors, Goldsmiths and Parkhouse. I understand that Omega are reducing the number of authorised dealers by 400 across the UK. Has anyone else heard of this and does anyone know how this will affect the guarantee from Omega?

Any help would be greatly received. As I said I am new to this but have been totally drawn to this watch. Its now a matter of sourcing it from a reputable supplier!

Thank you to anymone who can help!

pikesteve

·
Banned
22 Posts
A remarkable, nay, breathtaking watch and your taste cannot be gainsaid. It's quite possibly the best looking divers watch on mother earth. Have you handled one? The quality is unbelievable with lots of fine detail. It's a very serious watch! Here are some pictures of my friend's watch. The watch is certainly not discontinued, but on the other hand, Omega wouldn't make lots of these and it's a too pricey for it to be common like a planet ocean. Yes, you'll have to go to a good dealer and place an order with them and tough it out in the mean time. In many ways, this is the best way to go, as you'll be the first person to handle it, fresh from the factory in Bienne.

It's occurred to me that you may want some further advice, seeing that it's your first serious purchase. The watch is not a dress watch. In time, you'll see that. This is a limitation. Indeed, it's a sports watch, albeit a high end ultra luxurious sports watch. It's also not a watch that fits under a sleeve too well either. It's meant for summer, tee shirts and rolled up sleeves. I say this because you live in a cold climate and the watch will be covered up for most of the year. That is a pity as it's not that kind of a watch. I think you'll need to compliment the AT GMT with a smaller and thinner dress watch with something like an Hour Vision.

Finally, when and if, you do get the watch, use the GMT hand as a 24hr hand for your local time. When you travel, you can then adjust the watch for a second time zone.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Thats is one amazing looking watch you have there Capt., thanks for sharing....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I purchased one of the similar models (OMEGA Watches: Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronograph - Steel on steel - 231.10.44.50.06.001) back in April or May. I'm wearing it now actually. Great watch - I really like the way it wears. The only problem I have is that I've now been waiting since about a week after I bought the watch for some links to extend the bracelet. I said I like the way it wears, but actually it's pretty tight on my 8" wrist. I can't really wear the watch all day - I usually take it off at least once at work for a few minutes and I take it right off as soon as I get home at night. I've spoken to the dealer a couple of times and Omega has never shipped him the links. I've called other dealers and the service center in NJ and there appear to be no links anywhere in the country for the bracelet on my AT Chrono. If you think you will need additional links, I'd make sure they are installed when you purchase the watch or you may find yourself in the same situation I'm in. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Hi Capt.
Nice friend and watch you have there:-d... I know few fellow forummers does have this very nice AT Chrono GMT. IMO... it is a little pricey for it although it packs with a lot of fine details and have one of the best design and and mechanical.:-!

To the OP,
Worth to try from FAD... just maybe he has a piece ready for you?|> then again I really dunno the procedures importing into the UK.:-s

Hi DOA70,
Did you manage to try the FAD or the service centre?:think:
As far as the link, pins (in your case, screws;-)), most of the service centre does stock up on these small items.

I know because I have obtain the links and pins to my SMP directly from the service centre...

Cheers

I purchased one of the similar models (OMEGA Watches: Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronograph - Steel on steel - 231.10.44.50.06.001) back in April or May. I'm wearing it now actually. Great watch - I really like the way it wears. The only problem I have is that I've now been waiting since about a week after I bought the watch for some links to extend the bracelet. I said I like the way it wears, but actually it's pretty tight on my 8" wrist. I can't really wear the watch all day - I usually take it off at least once at work for a few minutes and I take it right off as soon as I get home at night. I've spoken to the dealer a couple of times and Omega has never shipped him the links. I've called other dealers and the service center in NJ and there appear to be no links anywhere in the country for the bracelet on my AT Chrono. If you think you will need additional links, I'd make sure they are installed when you purchase the watch or you may find yourself in the same situation I'm in. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi DOA70,
Did you manage to try the FAD or the service centre?:think:
As far as the link, pins (in your case, screws;-)), most of the service centre does stock up on these small items.

Cheers
I have spoken with the FAD three times over the months regarding this part. He is still waiting for them to arrive with no ETA, same with the service center in Secaucus NJ - which is the service center all of the other dealers I've spoken to would be ordering the links from. I've posted here in the forum as well seeking someone with extra links they would like to part with - I'm completely striking out. So much so I've considered selling the watch and purchasing something with a bracelet with easier to find components! I decided that was extreme and I'm now looking for a good aftermarket strap until my links come in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts