WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Just wanted to take the time to introduce myself and ask a couple of questions from the members here.

I just came across this website in my search for gathering as much info about Kobold as i possibly can. Most other forums have disorganized and very undeveloped Kobold sections and the level of this forum here impressed me.

About me. I love watches-point blank. Iv owned more watches than i care to admit and have had everything from lower end Seiko to most of the higher end. My current favorites are Panerai, Breitling, and AP Royal oak offshores(the only AP line i would consider).

Anyway the reason im here is because I'm interested in the kobold soarway diver seal in matte black dial. This watch looks awesome. And here is where the questions come in.Evey collector i know and all the jewelers i deal with are all unaware or have no interest in the brand. In fact from most of the people i interact with, if i get the watch than i will be the first to try kobold out. And here are the questions.

1. Compared to other high end watches, how does kobold compare (in feel, wear, and craftsmanship).

2. Are people that own the brand happy with the watch and will they buy another in the future.

Im generally curious and would love it if someone enlightened me. Now remember i never seen one for real nor have i ever tried one on so im completely ignorant. I did some research and chatted with personnel from Kobold and was about to make a purchase but decided to do more research and see what i come up with.

Any help will be appreciated.

Emil

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello everyone. Just wanted to take the time to introduce myself and ask a couple of questions from the members here.

I just came across this website in my search for gathering as much info about Kobold as i possibly can. Most other forums have disorganized and very undeveloped Kobold sections and the level of this forum here impressed me.

About me. I love watches-point blank. Iv owned more watches than i care to admit and have had everything from lower end Seiko to most of the higher end. My current favorites are Panerai, Breitling, and AP Royal oak offshores(the only AP line i would consider).

Anyway the reason im here is because I'm interested in the kobold soarway diver seal in matte black dial. This watch looks awesome. And here is where the questions come in.Evey collector i know and all the jewelers i deal with are all unaware or have no interest in the brand. In fact from most of the people i interact with, if i get the watch than i will be the first to try kobold out. And here are the questions.

1. Compared to other high end watches, how does kobold compare (in feel, wear, and craftsmanship).

2. Are people that own the brand happy with the watch and will they buy another in the future.

Im generally curious and would love it if someone enlightened me. Now remember i never seen one for real nor have i ever tried one on so im completely ignorant. I did some research and chatted with personnel from Kobold and was about to make a purchase but decided to do more research and see what i come up with.

Any help will be appreciated.

Emil
Emil,

I just purchased my first Kobold, Spirit of America for $1050.00, and I can tell you that this watch is the most beautiful watch I own. The workmanship is excellent. I can not find any flaws at all. I own an Omega and Oris as my top of the line watches and I think the Kobold bets them in quality. I would buy another Kobold in a heart beat. This is the only company I know of that you can talk directly to the owner, Mike Kobold. I am extremely happy with this brand and I highly suggest you buy from them and you would be disappointed.

Good Day
Ken

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
My collection includes Rolex, Omega, TAG Heuer, Doxa and Ball, and I can say with a straight face that my S/S SEAL is pretty much their equal on every level. True, you don't get an in-house movement like you do with Rolex, but the top-grade ETA 2824 is a highly accurate and time-tested workhorse. It's actually my favorite watch, and while it's hardly what one would consider a daily wearer, that doesn't stop me from sporting it in the boardroom, as well as on the beach. Another big plus in my book is the fact that I'm pretty much guaranteed to be the only guy in the room -- irrespective of what room I happen to be standing in -- that has one on.

Now I can't wait to see this new "Cousteau" diver that Mike has in the works. I've been saving up for a PAM 112, and almost pulled the trigger on one the other night, but I've decided to wait and see what this new Kobold looks like. My wife says I can only buy one new watch this year, so I don't want to shoot my bolt on a Panny if this new Kobold is more my cuppa.

So, in closing, if you have the means, and the SEAL Tactical is speaking to you, then go for it. I can practically guarantee that you won't be disappointed. It's tough, accurate (+1sec/day), unique, and legible. Basically, it's the ultimate tool watch. If you have any specific questions regarding the watch, I would suggest that you call Kobold. Chances are you'll get Mike on the line, and he'll answer 'em straight for ya. Name another company where that's possible...

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
In California?

if you are in/near Socal, Feldmar Watch in LA is an AD, and has the kobold line in stock, just in case you have the desire to try one on :)
DW

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone who replied. And definitely thanks for the Feldmar idea. I didnt know if there were any AD here in California and even-though I'm in Orange county, LA is not bad ( i used to go to school there). Generally where watches are concerned, I'm pretty good at filtering out watches that are nice and such, but in this case I'm stumped. I personally cannot figure out why none of my friends or fellow watch collectors steer clear of this brand. And believe some of these people have upward of 50 high end watches and yet no one would even consider kobold. And because of this, this caused me to question the brand much more than i generally do. A personal motto of mine is if i don't wear it than i dont keep it and i want to make sure i plan on wearing this watch.

To clarify something. My personal day wear watch is a breitling superocean and a panerai 111. I tend to gravitate toward sporty watches Even my Gerard Perrougoux watches are the sporty ones (Ferrari). I tend to go for the minimalist dial configurations. The kobold Seal looks like an awesome watch and attracted me completely. I have a very large wrist. In fact i can wear omegas, breitlings, straight out of the store without even sizing the bands since my wrist is so large. In fact AP royal oak offshores on metal bands are too small for me. I have to purchase an extra link so i just end up purchasing the leather strap version of the watch.

Anyway saying all that. I did call kobold and talked to someone named Ed and he was very helpful. I cant talk much about their customer service since most of the other brands i dealt with all had excellent service.

Anyway i love seeing pics of the seal so if anyone wants to take pics feel free. I searched the forum for pics and enjoyed everyone. But i do realize some people are just like me and couldn't take a pic if their lives depended on it (i hate taking and being in pictures he-he probably says more about my looks than the technology).

But like i said thanks to all for the wonderful replies.
:thanks
Emil

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Pam 112 is a great watch. I seriously believe everyone should have at the very least one Panerai in their collection. The base model is where its at. Either this or the pam 111. Both are beauties.

Emil

·
Registered
97 Posts
I love my SEAL and highly recommend the brand both because of the products as well as the service. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Welcome! If you can get over to try the Kobold watches out, that would be the best thing, but it sounds like the Seal would be a great match for you. It's a very big watch (44mm X 17mm), and wears big on the bracelet. I think the bracelet would fit someone with 9" wrists without a problem.

If you get the steel version it's also brutally heavy--the thing is a beast! I have the Ti version, which is a little lighter, but still heavy due to the inner iron casing (making it very anti-magnetic). My Seal has proved to be very tough in my experience, much as others have mentioned on this forum. It's a watch you feel like you can do anything with (heck--use it as a hammer!) and it will be fine. So far, I haven't heard of anyone hurting one, despite some pretty serious attempts :-!.

Most watch-collectors are skeptical of Kobold because Mike is something of a newcomer and raises the hackles of traditionalists. I've seen two typical experience: 1) collectors are skeptical until they see a Kobold in person, and/or talk to Mike--once they do, they see the quality of the watch, and are usually impressed enough to buy one; 2) my watchmaker asked me directly why such a watch would be as expensive as Rolex, and why--they he regulated the watch for me and had nothing negative to say at all about it. I could tell he was impressed with the build quality (the inside of the Seal is more impressive than the outside).

In short, get your hands on one and see what you think. Or buy one second-hand--the second-hand prices on the SS Seal are LOW! It's very little gamble, and you will be impressed.

Okay, one last thing--many high-end watches walk a fine line between being shiny jewelry and being useful tools. Most Kobolds (until the SOA) made no pretension about being jewelry--the dials are matte, the faces simple and clear, and the cases are just tough. They are the ultimate tool watch, but they don't have the shiny dial bits like Rolex does. Even without them, however, they have tremendous wrist presence.

My Ti Seal is the only watch I've had unsolicited comments about--all of the positive (I also own Rolex, JLC, Omega and Tutima).

Now go look for some pictures--I've posted loads of them.

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
456 Posts
Kobold is a relatively new company with a self imposed limit of only 2500 watches per year. Hence there are not that many out there in the wild. As the other members have stated that watches themselves are easily the equal of many other mid to high end brands that also have ETA movements.

The one major factor that distinguishes Kobold is the community and personal attention that Mike, Dan, and Ed give to their customers. It reminds me somewhat of the Paneristi community that's out there but on a small, more intimate scale. Mike holds different dinners and gatherings a couple of times a year, where he'll so prototypes and future projects and ask for recommendations and suggestions. He'll also do his best to accomodate specific requests. The servicing is second to none.

In the end it's more than just telling time that we're buying, it's the whole lifestyle-community thing and Kobold does that better than anyone.

My collection includes panerai's, rolexs, eberhards, etc... and the kobolds are my favorite...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Believe me when i tell you that everytime i see pics of the Seal it makes me look twice. I suppose the design is what attracts me. Iv seen so many variations of watch designs that when i first saw the seal i realized that here is a watch that is distinct. So yes definitely one way or another (whether now or in the future) I will have the seal in my collection. I tend to get a new high end watch every 6 months (i cant afford doing so earlier eventhough i have been known to cheat and i was saving up my money to purchase an AP royal oak ofshore in a nice black dial. yes i realize the price difference is insane but to me its more the wearability of the watch rather than the price. I judge watches on how much wrist time they get over how pretty they are. And its what got me thinking of kobold. I noticed some of you write in your posts that you give kobold much much wrist time. Is that because of the way they look or because of their comfortableness? Or is it because of the attention they garner? BE HONEST HERE.

For instance i know that when i wear my panerai i get allot more attention than when i wear my omegas or breitlings. AP is different. When i walk into a room of watch collectors its generally only two or three that wear an AP. This is probably why i like my breitlings (have had several). I don't get the attention and i can walk into any mall and feel comfortable that not everyone is starring at me (unless i walk into a jeweler ).

Thanks to all who took the time to post.

Emil

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
I owned a SS Seal and foolishly sold it. After regretting it, I was able to pick up one of the few remaining Ti Seals direct from Kobold. I think it is an amazing watch for the price, and I will never be selling this Seal.

Here are a few pics to help you out:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Okay, you asked for it! (pictures!)

I don't find that I get any attention with regard to the watch; although it is the only one that ever gets comments, they are infrequent. I wear my Ti Seal all the time because of how comfortable it is--I never would have thought that such a big watch would sit so well, but it does. I find it sits on my wrist even better than the thinner Soarway diver does for me.

Anyway, you wanted some pictures, so here you go. These will be Seal-focused--there are many others where I'm wearing the Seal while fishing, backpacking, holding/filleting a fish, etc. They give a nice idea of what it looks like from the perspective of another person.

My Seal is Ti, and the last few pictures show it with a PVD SS bezel.

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Okay, you asked for it! (pictures!)

you people are mean. In a very very very very good way. But seriously you are sooo awesome for taking such excellent pics(and im not kidding about excellent). I was doing much scrolling up and down that people at work probably thought i was indulging in extra curricular activities. Viewing your pics are worth a thousand words and im probably 90% sure thats will purchase it. In fact i might not wait until this weekend to go to the mall and check it out. Ed told me that i have 7 or so days to check it out and see. Funny thing is I'm trying to get one of my friends who has over 50 high end watches to make the same purchase. I sent him links and such and he said he will check it out tonight.

I swear we are all sick. Look at us and watches. most people get one or two watches every few years and its my impression that we here find any sorry excuse to jump and get another. Sheesh.

I must really be gullible but i cant get enough looking at the pics. I especially like the wrist shots because it puts things in perspective.

Im going back to my scrolling and let me say again.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Bless you all.

Emil

1 - 15 of 15 Posts