WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys i have just joined and looking to buy my first watch. I came across a watch i like but on a post i read this "Sub homage being bigger" what does all this mean?. The watch i like is an Orient Ray but not sure how big the dial would be as i would prefer something with a big dial. Any suggestions thanks!

·
Premium Member
71,391 Posts
Firstly, welcome to WUS. To give to some sort of idea how it looks here is the blue Ray on my 6.75" wrist. Ignore the fact that it looks too tight - some watches justmake my wonky wrist look that way.

IMG_1800.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firstly, welcome to WUS. To give to some sort of idea how it looks here is the blue Ray on my 6.75" wrist. Ignore the fact that it looks too tight - some watches justmake my wonky wrist look that way.

View attachment 11190146
That looks really nice, wanting something all black like the black ray. What watch is in your picture? also what does all these homeage etc mean thanks.

·
Premium Member
71,391 Posts
You mean all black like the Ray Raven? (Pic below). The watch above is the blue Ray generation I. A homage is usually a watch that looks similar (to a greater or lesser extent) to a more famous/expensive watch.

IMG_1727.JPG

·
Registered
260 Posts
You mean all black like the Ray Raven? (Pic below). The watch above is the blue Ray generation I. A homage is usually a watch that looks similar (to a greater or lesser extent) to a more famous/expensive watch.

View attachment 11190226
Lmao! I love how you just whipped out a raven like 'you mean like this one?' That's great you got both and also unexpected, which makes me smile.

We don't have to talk in abstracts here. The homage the Ray references is the Rolex Submariner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome!! Just a quick word of advice - don't listen to the H8er's about wearing an homage watch! Educate yourself then buy and wear what you like - period end of!! If it was up to some people, wearing an homage is reason enough for re-education or doing a nickel in San Quentin. I own Rolex, Invicta, Orient, Bulova, Armida, Steinhart, Casio, Citizen, Seiko, Tag, Tauchmeister, and a few others - yes even some homages and I really do enjoy them all! I get scorn for a few of my watches but hey - it's my money and I buy what makes me happy!! This is a great forum with a lot of brilliant and knowledgeable members and don't hesitate to ask any and all questions - I did and it really saved me time and money and also discovered brands I was unfamiliar with which I ultimately purchased some! I also recommend looking at the smaller / boutique Watch makers (i.e. Armida, Helson, Stowa, Tempest, Steinhart - really good stuff). Cheers and enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Firstly, welcome to both the forum and the hobby/addiction! Longislandwatch is having a sale on orient divers. 160-170 for a brand spanking new ray or mako. Check them out, Marc is good people. That's a good place to start for an inexpensive watch and also getting used to mechanical watches as well. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
We don't have to talk in abstracts here. The homage the Ray references is the Rolex Submariner.
Allow me to grumble a bit at this. ;) But before doing so let me also explain to the OP that there are essentially two definitions of 'homage', one a more legitimate design choice to incorporate and highlight one or more features of a well known, illustrious watch design in the 'homage' watch. The other definition of homage is a straight-up copy/replica of a well known/expensive watch, just with a different brand name slapped on to make it legal.

In watch circles there tends to be more respect for the first type of homage than the second, although there are plenty people who don't agree and either wouldn't go near even the most respectful design-homage, versus other people who have no problem at all with a full replica minus the branding.

With that said -risking to turn this into another homage-debate, I know- I don't think the Orient Ray is an homage to any specific watch. I think it takes design cues from various dive watches, making it a bit of a 'fashion diver' in that it uses all the mainstays of an archetypal dive watch, without closely copying any particular one. In fact some design features of a dive watch are pretty much dictated by the ISO standard (which the Orient doesn't meet), such as having large lumed markers and having to use a different shape for the markers at 12, 6 and/or 9.

Another watch in that category of fashion diver would be the Seiko Sea Urchin:

As opposed to a 'real' ISO standard diver like the SKX007 / 009. (Sorry, mandatory mention.)

Anyway, back to the Ray; if the Ray is a Sub homage then several dozen other watches would also be a Sub homage including those made by Omega, Certina, Seiko, and many others. In fact I think the Certina is a whole lot closer to a Sub than the Orient is, largely due to the faithful reproduction of the dial markers:

Or even Omega..

And others go to insane lenghts to do a full on replica, like Squale:

The above even goes so far to straight-up copy the Rolex cyclops magnifier on the date and the mercedes hour hand. Boo! Also in that category are Steinhart and a handful of Chinese copycat brands like Parnis.

Anyway, back to the Ray. Get one! Black is fine too. The current model doesn't have the extra day pusher. Which is objectively better, however I do like the aesthetic of having another thingy there. (Homage to the Seamaster Pro's helium escape valve? :) )

·
Registered
260 Posts
In that less than $250 budget, I'd get the skx013k2. That smaller 38mm diameter with the jubilee bracelet. It just fits my wrist better than a 42mm 007. For the Ray, like the blue ray better. BTW, I believe Orient is owned by Seiko.

If hantms would lend me a few thousand dollars, I'd get the Submariner over 16 variations or Rays and SKX's.

Dear OP, that's just me personally. Please don't let my tastes influence you.

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient, Aragon, Deep Blue, Bulova, Swatch, Gruen Pocket Watch, Illinois Pocket Watch, Vostok
2,773 Posts
I love the Orient Mako's, Mako XL, Rays and USA models. Especially the blue dials.

The Orient Planet Orient is pretty darn nice too.
I enjoy my four Orients a lot.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks so much guys you all have been so much help! have a better standing of homeage, to be honest it doesn't bother me if it may look like another as its what they do on all items now a days. Could you guys recommend all black watches like they ray if thats ok. if not i can go ahead and buy this :).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im not too fussed about the brand more the movement and the build quality which is why i like Orient/Seiko as i have read they reliable which i need for a first watch as i read that it cost more to service/fix then the watch itself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts