WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As of yesterday evening I too are an official G-Shock owner. :) A very nice GW-810BXD which I chose after much debating with myself and hanging around on this forum.

I've always owned Casio watches
= A digital with count down, stopwatch and side-led which was very weak, resin band
= W-87H with leather band (no countdown, but illuminator and 5 year battery)
= W-94HD-7AVHEF (steel bracelet, advanced countdown, advanced stopwatch (with alarm) and illuminator)

Of the first 2 the band broke. The first I never replaced, because I saw a new one. But the second got lost because the band was ripped. The third was a steel bracelet, but the casing was made of plastic. When I fell with that one a year ago, the spring pin tore out of the case. I've tried to repear it with hardening kit, but it wasn't durable any more. So I went a period without a watch until now.

I wanted something that lasted longer than appr. 2 years, thus a G-Shock looked nice.
The size, look and functionality of the GW-810BXD made me give in.
It's accurate (duh) and 'ever'-lasting and came in a nice tin :)

And it wasn't that expensive. I've always payed up to 40 euro (50+ bucks) for above watches, so the 125 dollar (excl. shipping, 95 euro) that I payed for something this durable wasn't bad at all.
Because the 810 series is a 5 band waveceptor, I could buy it from America other wise I would have had to pay 220 dollars (169 euro) for it here in the Netherlands (and seen it for even more).

I won't start collecting G-Shocks (I'm not a collecting-kind-of-guy), but if I have to buy a new one: G-Shock will be on the top of the list!

I've reviewed the watch:
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=45589
and shot some pics:
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=45580

Regards,
Maarten

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
thx Maarten, I just read your excellent review. I'll be interested to see how you like the reverse display long-term. Opinions generally are divided on the forum re: reverse displays. Many of us (me included) like them, they look great, but some reverse displays can be a pain to read under certain lighting conditions.

I have a Nissan Stainless coffee mug that I use everyday in the winter -- it matches the 810-BXD perfectly. I think they belong together ;-)

welcome

·
Registered
133 Posts
oh woaw, i too have a nissan stainless mug that i use everyday.. all year round tho!.. the best!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,587 Posts
Hoi Maarten,

Welcome to the club and a fellow Dutchman too:-!. Good to see a review of the GW-810. I think it is a watch you like or you don't like. I haven't made my mind up for it yet, but I normally prefer Resin models over SS models.

Like Freediver I have a weakness for negative displays, so I think your watch looks pretty cool. I live in Middelburg, which is almost exact halfway Rugby and Mainflingen. My 5-band Mudman therefore often switches from transmitter location therefore.

Wear your watch in good health,

Hi Freediver,

I have just one G-Shock stainless steel G-Shock thermo Mug for my collection, but at my office I have a very cool SS thermo mug for my ginger tea...

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
oh woaw, i too have a nissan stainless mug that i use everyday.. all year round tho!.. the best!
edgar and sjors,

mine has been to hell and back and it keeps on truckin'. It's one of the few things I own that has performed better than advertised.

it has the threaded lid that tightens down and is leak-proof. one turn and the coffee flows.

check these pix (the watch is maarten's pic), are the nissan mug and the 810-bxd not made for each other??

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
hi maarten,

from me a nice welcome to the forum as well. I added a few words to your GW-810BXD review.

regards, holger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts