WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This watch was teased by Traska on their Instagram page a couple weeks ago, but now the full details are available on their website. Good to see more watches being offered at smaller case dimensions. This release is intriguing to me, and appears to present a nice, affordable oyster perpetual alternative. $565 USD retail, and pre-order for $515 begins on January 10th. What do you guys think?

Commuter | TRASKA Watches
The sport watch for any occasion.
www.traskawatch.com
www.traskawatch.com

Specs:
36.5mm case diameter
44mm lug to lug
10mm thickness
20mm lug width
Miyota 9019 movement
Box double domed sapphire with underside AR coating
100m water resistance

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Nice looking watch if a bit vanilla.

Late 2020/early 2021 seems to be the year of micros going for the OP/Datejust vibe. We've already seen it with the Monta Noble and Astor and Banks Fortitude (I'm sure there are others) and now Traska has thrown its hat in the ring.

In this case, we're even seeing the contrasting colored dots outside of the hour markers that were present on the previous generation OP.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice looking watch if a bit vanilla.

Late 2020/early 2021 seems to be the year that some of the more respected micros as going for the OP/Datejust vibe. We've already seen it with the Monta Nobel and Astor and Banks Fortitude (I'm sure there are others) and now Traska has thrown its hat in the ring.

In this case, we're even seeing the contrasting colored dots outside of the hour markers that were present on the previous generation OP.
Yes, definitely an understated look, at the risk of being a bit boring, but nicely done IMO. I think its good that the micros are putting out some OP/datejust alternatives, particularly with smaller case dimensions.

I like the flat brushed bezel, applied indices, and the design of the brand name and logo. I wouldn't mind them doing away with the date, but at least it isn't at the 3 o'clock. I think I may be picking up a white version myself.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! I immediately think Rolex when seeing it.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Definitely aims to be an affordable oyster perpetual 36/black bay 36 alternative. I do like the choice to go with a flat brushed bezel and a box sapphire crystal though, which are unlike the O36 and BB36

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Definitely aims to be an affordable oyster perpetual 36/black bay 36 alternative. I do like the choice to go with a flat brushed bezel and a box sapphire crystal though, which are unlike the O36 and BB36
Yes agreed! But non wus would not see these differences. Especially on first glance.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not bad, would consider more if it had a see-through caseback and a tool-less micro-adjustment.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Seems pretty similar to the Lorien falcon, though you get a lot more for your money. Both are similar dimensions, and homages of vintage watches. But you get the fantastic hardness coating, ar coated sapphire, and a fully articulated bracelet with the Traska.

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Seems pretty similar to the Lorien falcon, though you get a lot more for your money. Both are similar dimensions, and homages of vintage watches. But you get the fantastic hardness coating, ar coated sapphire, and a fully articulated bracelet with the Traska.
I’d argue the Falcon is more original in design while the Traska is much closer to a Rolex. The Lorier bracelet is fully articulated as well. As for a see through case back, I guess it’s a matter of taste but I don’t derive any real joy from looking at a Miyota 9 series.

Reactions: DC_Brown

·
Registered
152 Posts
Would be perfect without the date window and a see through caseback. Why can't they just make things perfect? Why?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I’d argue the Falcon is more original in design while the Traska is much closer to a Rolex. The Lorier bracelet is fully articulated as well. As for a see through case back, I guess it’s a matter of taste but I don’t derive any real joy from looking at a Miyota 9 series.
I hear you on the miyota case back. The Neptune was basically a Tudor midsize diver, I guess the falcon has the waffle dial. I think both the lorier and traska homages are heavily inspired by Rolex/Tudor designs. The traska reminds me more of a Halios to be honest though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It’s cool, and I’ll be straight up that I’ve been looking for a black OP homage. The design is great, because so few watches (outside of Seiko and GS) maintain the truly rectangular indices, which I love.

I’d get one in a heartbeat in a bigger case, but will pass on this. (38mm case & 45mm L2L are tried and true hard minimums for me). Not everything needs to be 42mm, but I’m not loving the trend in micros to sub-38 case sizes (e.g. Lorier)

Hopefully the case hardening treatment comes out better than on the Summiteer. I had one, and not only did the case and bracelet come out much darker (and duller?) than the promo pics suggested, the treatment also made the watch a fingerprint and smudge magnet. I get that all happened as COVID was going down and Jon had to change factories, so they deserve a second chance. But still hoping it turns out better.

Reactions: Pallet Spoon

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like it a lot. I'm annoyed though that I signed up for the Traska newsletter specifically for this 36mm and the new Sumiteer revamps and got no such letter! Nothing in the spam either.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like it a lot. I'm annoyed though that I signed up for the Traska newsletter specifically for this 36mm and the new Sumiteer revamps and got no such letter! Nothing in the spam either.
I don’t think they’ve formally announced anything yet, either via newsletter or social media.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
I'd reserve just a bit of judgement till I've seen a good video review, but it actually looks quite impressive from the pictures. While it may have a bit of an OP look, it's definitely not a homage. Beautiful dial, excellent Traska case finishing. The bracelet appears to be a fully articulating true 3 section oyster style. Box domed sapphire is a nice touch. The dinner plate crowd will be turned off by the 36.5mm size, but I think it's perfect for this watch. I suspect the pre-orders will sell out in a few hours.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts