WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

81 - 100 of 198 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Got my pre-order in for the white commuter. I only own 40/41mm watches but recently tried on a BB36 and really liked the size (17cm/6.75 inch wrist).

Found it interesting how the 36.5mm case on the Traska presented on the video, looks like it will wear larger as can't see a lot of difference here compared to the 38.5mm Summiteer?

Anyway, looking forward to receiving my first Traska, heard good things about the brand

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I have a 7" wrist which I consider to be average. I have watches which range from 34mm to 45mm in size. When you hear people making the case for a larger watch, rarely if ever will you hear them mention comfort. The watches I wear most are in the 34-38mm size simply because I find them to be the most comfortable. That's not to say there aren't some big watches which are comfortable enough to wear for several days, but for me that is the exception rather than the rule. The measurement in width is also not the end-all to how large the watch actually looks. Dial size, case length, lug width, and case shape all factor in.

Larger watches on average size wrists are better for folks who have multiple watches. If you only have one watch, then all things being equal I think you are much better off with a watch in the 36-38mm range.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ordered Commuter in green and black. Tempted by the white, but always end up selling white dial watches. Hoping the size isn’t too small.

Also Freediver mint/ceramic, no date. Had the v2 and loved it. Looking forward to the improvements.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Waffling on pre-order. Never pre-ordered before and never done a microbrand.

Also torn between white and black. Would make a nice replacement for my SARB035 (which I no longer wear because it has a case of 6RisaPOSitis), but one of my complaints with the SARB (other than the movement) is that legibility in low, diffuse light situations is poor. I fear another white dial watch with high polish hands/indices will have the same issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
one of my complaints with the SARB (other than the movement) is that legibility in low, diffuse light situations is poor. I fear another white dial watch with high polish hands/indices will have the same issue.
This video shows some more angles of the watch (admittedly, in a well-lit environment) and then also some lume shots at the end:

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
This video shows some more angles of the watch (admittedly, in a well-lit environment) and then also some lume shots at the end:
Yeah, I saw that, but it only shows the watch in bright lighting and in darkness. The problem with the SARB is dim, diffuse light. Like twilight. Bright enough that you can see things around you, you can walk around without needing a flashlight and not trip over something, and bright enough to drown out the lume, but dim enough that you aren't going to be able to read something written on a piece of paper very easily. Like sitting in my living room at night with light from the TV, and maybe some light bleeding in through the door from the hall, but no other lights on in the room. The SARB is extremely difficult to read in those conditions. My higher contrast watches are not a problem.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Hmm... I do wonder what you'd say if you saw all the men back then wearing 33mm watches

Perhaps this is more to your taste?
View attachment 15642691
That's easy because men don't wear 33mm watches. The likelihood of them becoming "popular" is zero ... and that goes for 34 or 36mm watches with men.

While I would certainly never wear the watch you posted, they will probably sell thousands of them this year. Assuming that is "my taste" ... is just a silly attempt to push my buttons. Sorry you are offended by my opinion, but it won't change.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
At 36mm it is barely mid-sized. I am not sure what anyone with a wrist greater than 6 inches is thinking in considering this.
What size, in your consideration, would be minimum size to qualify as "masculine" on an average (7.25" circumference, 2.4" wide) man's wrist? Both diver (thick bezel) and non-diver (thin bezel).

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
What size, in your consideration, would be minimum size to qualify as "masculine" on an average (7.25" circumference, 2.4" wide) man's wrist? Both diver (thick bezel) and non-diver (thin bezel).
I can only speak for myself but I have the quintessential average sized wrist at 7 1/4. I won't consider anything under 40 for any style watch. I have a 36mm Datejust that I never wear because it feels and looks laughably small. I typically consider anything between 42 and 46 to be in MY strike zone but can understand anyone with my wrist size considering a 40mm watch of proper design. No one said anything about a "masculine" size ... but some are decidedly feminine. Go into any department store and look in the watch cases for men and women. Take an average. That is what the public is buying and reflects popular opinion.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I can only speak for myself but I have the quintessential average sized wrist at 7 1/4. I won't consider anything under 40 for any style watch. I have a 36mm Datejust that I never wear because it feels and looks laughably small. I typically consider anything between 42 and 46 to be in MY strike zone but can understand anyone with my wrist size considering a 40mm watch of proper design.
Proportionally, a 36mm watch on a 6.5" wrist is the same as a 40mm watch on a 7.25" wrist. A 40mm watch on a 6.5" wrist is like a 44.5mm watch on a 7.25" wrist. So, yes, people with wrists larger than 6" would absolutely find this watch an appealing size for the same reason someone with a "quintessential average sized wrist" would find 40mm appealing

No one said anything about a "masculine" size ... but some are decidedly feminine.
How exactly is one to interpret statements like "men don't wear..." or a photo of a woman's wrist donning a dainty watch? To say or imply something is feminine is to say it is not masculine, whether you use the word "masculine" or not.

Go into any department store and look in the watch cases for men and women. Take an average. That is what the public is buying.
For what it's worth, it seems the fashion today is for women to wear relatively larger watches that completely envelop their wrists. Michael Kors ladies line of chock full of watches 40-44 mm. I associate a watch that totally covers the top of the wrist (or beyond) to be a feminine style.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Proportionally, a 36mm watch on a 6.5" wrist is the same as a 40mm watch on a 7.25" wrist. A 40mm watch on a 6.5" wrist is like a 44.5mm watch on a 7.25" wrist. So, yes, people with wrists larger than 6" would absolutely find this watch an appealing size for the same reason someone with a "quintessential average sized wrist" would find 40mm appealing

How exactly is one to interpret statements like "men don't wear..." or a photo of a woman's wrist donning a dainty watch? To say or imply something is feminine is to say it is not masculine, whether you use the word "masculine" or not.

For what it's worth, it seems the fashion today is for women to wear relatively larger watches that completely envelop their wrists. Michael Kors ladies line of chock full of watches 40-44 mm. I associate a watch that totally covers the top of the wrist (or beyond) to be a feminine style.
So you asked me a question so you could argue with me and be combative. Apparently you are triggered. Ignore. Wear a puny watch if you like.

Again, the men's watch case at any department store would refute your definition of "feminine style".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Waffling on pre-order. Never pre-ordered before and never done a microbrand.

Also torn between white and black. Would make a nice replacement for my SARB035 (which I no longer wear because it has a case of 6RisaPOSitis), but one of my complaints with the SARB (other than the movement) is that legibility in low, diffuse light situations is poor. I fear another white dial watch with high polish hands/indices will have the same issue.
If you're thinking about it just pre order it now and wait for more reviews on social media. You can just return it when it ships out in march and it will be sold out by then if you wait.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
So you asked me a question so you could argue with me and be combative. Apparently you are triggered. Ignore. Wear a puny watch if you like.

I asked you a question so I could understand the context of your opinion. I then presented my own opinion, framed within the context you provided. I'm sorry if you found that combative, it was not the intent.

Edit: This last bit was added while I was quoting
Again, the men's watch case at any department store would refute your definition of "feminine style".
I base my opinion on what's feminine on what's in the ladies' case at the department store. Plenty of big (relative to the average lady's wrist) watches there, as the "boyfriend watch" trend is all the rage right now. You're welcome to disagree, that's the beauty of opinions. They aren't wrong. But I can't help but feel that perhaps you found my own opinion on what fashions are masculine or feminine a bit triggering as well...

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
If you're thinking about it just pre order it now and wait for more reviews on social media. You can just return it when it ships out in march and it will be sold out by then if you wait.
Seems the white is already sold out, so problem solved. Since this was advertised as a "limited quantity pre-order", I assume that there will be watches available in March for those who didn't pre-order? Still thinking about the black dial...

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's easy because men don't wear 33mm watches. The likelihood of them becoming "popular" is zero ... and that goes for 34 or 36mm watches with men.

While I would certainly never wear the watch you posted, they will probably sell thousands of them this year. Assuming that is "my taste" ... is just a silly attempt to push my buttons. Sorry you are offended by my opinion, but it won't change.
I have the same size wrist as you and have been gravitating towards smaller watches myself. I think the trend is for standard three hand watches in the enthusiast market to shrink down to 36-38mm. Rolex, Tudor, and Seiko are obviously going that way, with microbrands like Halios, Lorier, Traska, and Zelos as well. Omega is going to have a hard time due to their co-axial movements being a little thicker.

That said, we all have our different tastes. I think wearing a bunch of vintage watches lately has re-calibrated what looks good to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same size wrist as you and have been gravitating towards smaller watches myself. I think the trend is for standard three hand watches in the enthusiast market to shrink down to 36-38mm. Rolex, Tudor, and Seiko are obviously going that way, with microbrands like Halios, Lorier, Traska, and Zelos as well. Omega is going to have a hard time due to their co-axial movements being a little thicker.

That said, we all have our different tastes. I think wearing a bunch of vintage watches lately has re-calibrated what looks good to me.
Precisely, none of this toxic, "A real man wears X" BS. We have different tastes. It isn't "unmanly" to wear a 34mm watch just as it isn't "manly" to wear a 44mm watch. You wear what you like, let us wear what we like.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
I wear watches 32mm to 42mm.

Was psyched about this release but circumstances mean I missed the initial pre-release for white and green versions. Bummer. Hope there will be another opportunity at regular pricing...

·
Registered
79 Posts
The case size of the Commuter is perfect, but I much prefer the design of the Summiteer, so I preordered a blue one!

81 - 100 of 198 Posts