WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 120 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ended up canceling my order for a Commuter black. I didn't see myself wearing it as my SARB033 fits a similar bill and gives me better feels.

Still got an order in for a Commuter green and Freediver mint.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Precisely, none of this toxic, "A real man wears X" BS. We have different tastes. It isn't "unmanly" to wear a 34mm watch just as it isn't "manly" to wear a 44mm watch. You wear what you like, let us wear what we like.
Lol ... who said anything about being "a real man"? I did say wearing a too small watch may look feminine, and I'll own that - not the same thing really. Wear something appropriate for your wrist size ... but it seems many think a 36.5mm watch is appropriate for them. Based upon photos I've seen, it is not. You do you.

BTW, where did your other responses go?

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Nice looking watch if a bit vanilla.

Late 2020/early 2021 seems to be the year of micros going for the OP/Datejust vibe. We've already seen it with the Monta Noble and Astor and Banks Fortitude (I'm sure there are others) and now Traska has thrown its hat in the ring.

In this case, we're even seeing the contrasting colored dots outside of the hour markers that were present on the previous generation OP.
Yeah, this is a clear OP homage...but the Noble? I’m not a huge fan of it, but I don’t see it. It has plenty of its own unique design elements. To be honest, I don’t really see it at all unless I start stretching it a bit and presuming that was Monta’s intention.
Speaking of the OP, I saw the Tiffany is reselling for 12k on DavidSW. Thought I’d throw that in there just in case someone was in need of a laugh.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Yeah, this is a clear OP homage...but the Noble? I’m not a huge fan of it, but I don’t see it. It has plenty of its own unique design elements. To be honest, I don’t really see it at all unless I start stretching it a bit and presuming that was Monta’s intention.
Speaking of the OP, I saw the Tiffany is reselling for 12k on DavidSW. Thought I’d throw that in there just in case someone was in need of a laugh.
The Noble was clearly designed to play in that sporty/dressy style of watch that watches like the OP/DJ and AT reside. I wouldn't call it an "homage" to anything in particular, but it was done in that same style and would appeal to anyone looking for a versatile sports watch or a more affordable alternative to an OP, DJ, or AT. The Commuter is in that same style, but draws far more... inspiration... from Rolex.

I find it refreshing to see the micros moving away from dive watches and venturing into other styles. The OP/DJ/AT style of sports watch is extremely versatile and one of my favorites.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Love that Commuter will absolutely buy it if/when "they" release it without that damned date window........
What genius/sadist thought it was a splendid idea to do the very first proper "Oyster" homage (that I am aware of) and then ruin it by putting an "Omega" date window on the bloody thing......it's depressing as F........Covid19!....hehe that's a good one CSTMS (Chuckles Softly To My Self)
Cheers guys

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thought an image comparing the Commuter to the OP 39 this might be helpful.

Pretty damn obvious it's inspired by the OP, but here's some more comparison info:
Commuter vs OP39
------------------------------------
316L + protective coating vs 904L Oystersteel
36.5 vs 39
Date vs No-Date
Miyota 9x vs SUPERLATIVE
Box Sapphire (AR Coating???) vs Flat Non-AR Coated.
Flat Brushed Bezel vs Curved Polished Bezel

My personal design thoughts:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Commuter:
Prefer the crystal, large crown, steel type, bezel, and Logo/Branding.

OP39:
Prefer the handset, size, baton to dial ratio, no-date, case shape.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That is a Beaut nice to see the two next to each other
yeah the left one is a true GADA the Right not so much.....obviously depends on your disposable income but still it will only be DA and definitely NOT a GA.

·
Registered
218 Posts
And of course even IF you decided to treat yourself to the Original and finally get the Crown (after years of saving) the AD will NOT find you "Worthy" of one and will not even put you on the waiting list : (
(For the new ones of course)
He might as well say Pesant kindly leave the store.

·
Registered
150 Posts
And of course even IF you decided to treat yourself to the Original and finally get the Crown (after years of saving) the AD will NOT find you "Worthy" of one and will not even put you on the waiting list : (
(For the new ones of course)
He might as well say Pesant kindly leave the store.
A vacation and or putting money into my kitchen remodel is probably going to beat a Rolex most days.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
I said “vibe,” as in same class or type of watch. I was careful not to write “homage” due to what it’s come to mean to WIS. Please don’t put words in my mouth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lol ... who said anything about being "a real man"? I did say wearing a too small watch may look feminine, and I'll own that - not the same thing really. Wear something appropriate for your wrist size ... but it seems many think a 36.5mm watch is appropriate for them. Based upon photos I've seen, it is not. You do you.

BTW, where did your other responses go?
It's not appropriate according to your taste. If we use your taste as a basis, then it would be equally as valid for me to say a 41mm OP is inappropriate, no?
Re: other responses this is only my 3rd one, I think you have me confused with someone else.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
It's not appropriate according to your taste. If we use your taste as a basis, then it would be equally as valid for me to say a 41mm OP is inappropriate, no?
Re: other responses this is only my 3rd one, I think you have me confused with someone else.
If it were exclusively MY taste we were talking about .. but it isn't, as I already pointed out it is POPULAR taste. Go to any department store and look in the mens watch case. Are they marketing 36mm watches to men ... the thousands of men who purchase mainstream watches and drive the market? No ... no they aren't. The tiny watch fans on this forum are in a small minority ... and frankly even here most of these watches struggle to be a commercial success. My favorite line over in the "Hot Takes" thread in the public forum is "A lot people think they want a sub 40mm diver, but most won't actually buy one". Your comment about a 41mm OP is irrelevant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think we should move on from this and get back to talking about the watch. Different people like different sizes - I like 36mm as do others on here, but Pallet Spoon above is correct in saying it isn't mainstream popular taste. I think we can all agree on that and get back to talking about the watch itself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it were exclusively MY taste we were talking about .. but it isn't, as I already pointed out it is POPULAR taste. Go to any department store and look in the mens watch case. Are they marketing 36mm watches to men ... the thousands of men who purchase mainstream watches and drive the market? No ... no they aren't. The tiny watch fans on this forum are in a small minority ... and frankly even here most of these watches struggle to be a commercial success. My favorite line over in the "Hot Takes" thread in the public forum is "A lot people think they want a sub 40mm diver, but most won't actually buy one". Your comment about a 41mm OP is irrelevant.
You're right, it's a small market, somewhat niche but it's a market that exists and many big companies seem to feel is worth serving (not as much as larger sizes but that's not the point)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thought an image comparing the Commuter to the OP 39 this might be helpful.

Pretty damn obvious it's inspired by the OP, but here's some more comparison info:
Commuter vs OP39
------------------------------------
316L + protective coating vs 904L Oystersteel
36.5 vs 39
Date vs No-Date
Miyota 9x vs SUPERLATIVE
Box Sapphire (AR Coating???) vs Flat Non-AR Coated.
Flat Brushed Bezel vs Curved Polished Bezel

My personal design thoughts:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Commuter:
Prefer the crystal, large crown, steel type, bezel, and Logo/Branding.

OP39:
Prefer the handset, size, baton to dial ratio, no-date, case shape.

View attachment 15644689
This is a great comparison. When the OP39 (white dial) first came out, I immediately was attracted to it. After doing a little research, I decided to find out of I could buy one from one of my local ADs. Nope. After trying for nearly a year, I gave up. I was not (and still not) willing to pay the 15% - 20% grey market price. Now that is has been discontinued, and prices range $9k - $12k, I put the OP in my rearview mirror.

I looked at the Monta Noble, but something about it was off. And the price definitely held me back. This Traska Commuter is the first watch I found that I'd seriously consider. The size is a tiny bit small, but it is a beauty.

Reactions: john_marston

·
Registered
150 Posts
This Traska Commuter is the first watch I found that I'd seriously consider. The size is a tiny bit small, but it is a beauty.
Yeah, I wish it was a 38, but oh well. If you haven't seen them yet, Astor & Banks have released the Fortitude and RZE is releasing a three hand sport watch called the Endevor that might scratch the itch too.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Assuming I was even remotely concerned with what non-watch people are wearing, I guess I'm confused on why anyone would care what watch John Q. Public is buying at the mall considering 99% of it is junk to begin with. I don't listen to crappy music simply because it's popular. Why would I feel differently about watches? Even if what anyone else is wearing caused my give-a-**** meter to register, if I cared about staying on the cutting edge of what's fashionable it's worth noting the dinner plate watch trend peaked about 10 years ago and I just don't see it coming back.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Assuming I was even remotely concerned with what non-watch people are wearing, I guess I'm confused on why anyone would care what watch John Q. Public is buying at the mall considering 99% of it is junk to begin with. I don't listen to crappy music simply because it's popular. Why would I feel differently about watches? Even if what anyone else is wearing caused my give-a-**** meter to register, if I cared about staying on the cutting edge of what's fashionable it's worth noting the dinner plate watch trend peaked about 10 years ago and I just don't see it coming back.
Because like it or not, they drive the market. Very few tiny watches, if any (especially for a large maker) are a commercial success. Again, buy what you like but the opinion that a 36mm watch looks good on males is not mainstream.

I don't know what you consider a "dinner plate" but my upper limit is 46mm going down to about 42mm. I assure that size is certainly more mainstream. I don't know what you think went "out of style" circa 2010, but very large watches were selling very well then ... My last 2 purchases were 46mm and 44mm. Lots to choose from because that is what the market demands.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Because like it or not, they drive the market. Very few tiny watches, if any (especially for a large maker) are a commercial success. Again, buy what you like but the opinion that a 36mm watch looks good on males is not mainstream.

I don't know what you consider a "dinner plate" but my upper limit is 46mm going down to about 42mm. I assure that size is certainly more mainstream. I don't know what you think went "out of style" circa 2010, but very large watches were selling very well then ... My last 2 purchases were 46mm and 44mm. Lots to choose from because that is what the market demands.
If you like fashion junk and try to be hip you’re probably right. However loads of brands and a lot of upmarket all seem to introduce more modest sizes lately. Do you by chance need to compensate for something small?

101 - 120 of 198 Posts