WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

121 - 140 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
If you like fashion junk and try to be hip you’re probably right. However loads of brands and a lot of upmarket all seem to introduce more modest sizes lately. Do you by chance need to compensate for something small?
Funny how the puny watch brigade immediately goes straight to comments on manhood. Funny in the decade plus that this group slammed "large" watches as a fad we never did that. It seems I am not the one with the problem. Maybe some introspection is in order.

"Introduced" and "selling" are 2 different things.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Funny how the puny watch brigade immediately goes straight to comments on manhood. Funny in the decade plus that this group slammed "large" watches as a fad we never did that. It seems I am not the one with the problem. Maybe some introspection is in order.

"Introduced" and "selling" are 2 different things.
Not really. You’re the guy who feels the incessant need to put others down for wearing “feminine” or as secure people would call it smaller sizes...

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Because like it or not, they drive the market. Very few tiny watches, if any (especially for a large maker) are a commercial success. Again, buy what you like but the opinion that a 36mm watch looks good on males is not mainstream.

I don't know what you consider a "dinner plate" but my upper limit is 46mm going down to about 42mm. I assure that size is certainly more mainstream. I don't know what you think went "out of style" circa 2010, but very large watches were selling very well then ... My last 2 purchases were 46mm and 44mm. Lots to choose from because that is what the market demands.
I think I’d have to first care about what watches John Q. Public is driving the market with before deciding whether or not I like it. I just don’t get that far. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Not really. You’re the guy who feels the incessant need to put others down for wearing “feminine” or as secure people would call it smaller sizes...
My first comment in this thread was:

At 36mm it is barely mid-sized. I am not sure what anyone with a wrist greater than 6 inches is thinking in considering this.
Hardly insulting. You tiny watch fans are the ones who started with the insults, specifically directed at me. For anyone who is "confident" you certainly are defensive. I've said several times, if you want to wear a small watch, go ahead. I will continue to caution that this size is considered too small for most people that see it. If that doesn't matter to you, fine .... but sitting here pontificating on how wonderful this size watch looks on an average wrist is silly. It doesn't.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My first comment in this thread was:

Hardly insulting. You tiny watch fans are the ones who started with the insults, specifically directed at me. For anyone who is "confident" you certainly are defensive. I've said several times, if you want to wear a small watch, go ahead. I will continue to caution that this size is considered too small for most people that see it. If that doesn't matter to you, fine .... but sitting here pontificating on how wonderful this size watch looks on an average wrist is silly. It doesn't.
I clearly remember you saying 36mm was feminine. I don't think anyone cares that you said that many men won't buy 36mm watches. You are definitely correct in that regard.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
I clearly remember you saying 36mm was feminine. I don't think anyone cares that you said that many men won't buy 36mm watches. You are definitely correct in that regard.
I did ... later in the thread ... and they are. But I only stated so after being insulted.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
I inherited my grampa's watch, which is just shy of 32mm, and still seems occasional wear.

Look around at vintage watches and 34mm is kind of the norm for men's watches, certainly into the 70s. Just picked up a Gruen Precision, which is fantastic. The Explorer or Smiths which Sir Edmund Hillary climbed Mt Everesy were "puny," too...

Until the past year or so, lots of Seiko 5 sport watches clocking in at 37mm.

I was bummed to find out that Rusty was talked out of doing the Atticus Adventure series in 36mm, for 38mm. But still hardly "dinner plate" size.

In any case, I like smaller watches, even with a 7" wrist. 40mm watches with thin bezels just look too large, even if conventional wisdom is that I should be able pull them off.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Back to the topic at hand, I hope they release a no-date version of the Commuter in the future.
I was able to snag a white Commuter but I only did it impulsively. My tastes are no-date > frameless date > framed date. This watch with no-date in their mint color would be spectacular.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, not sure what you do with this when you realize how silly it looks. Maybe just stick it in a drawer.

You keep saying people should wear what they want but you seem oddly committed to the idea that a 36mm watch objectively looks silly, or looks silly to a majority of people, or looks silly to you. Why should anyone care? Wear what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Looks fine to me, but I suppose if I spent an inordinate amount of time obsessing over the size of watch other folks are wearing I might think differently.
Well, you certainly seem to be obsessed with size and attempting to make your point in this thread ... so do we believe your words, or your actions? If you think that looks fine, I think we found the problem.

You keep saying people should wear what they want but you seem oddly committed to the idea that a 36mm watch objectively looks silly, or looks silly to a majority of people, or looks silly to you. Why should anyone care? Wear what you want.
I ... me? I made a simple comment, not insulting or combative, and proceeded to be attacked by several people on this thread. Sorry for posting what the majority are thinking. I shouldn't have to be "oddly committed" to defending my opinion, but thanks to a few, I am.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
For whatever reason lots of folks seem to care as evidenced by the plethora of threads asking if a particular watch is too big or small for an X sized wrist. I don't spend much time thinking in those terms about my own wrist and watches, let alone anyone else. The biggest thing I care about in terms of size is how wearable the watch is. With most large watches I'm ready to take them off after a few hours because they feel very much top heavy after a while. I'm not one of those guys who likes wearing a strap or bracelet tighter than a banjo string. Considering I don't have all that much meat on my wrists to begin with it's not really an option for me anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Well, you certainly seem to be obsessed with size and attempting to make your point in this thread ... so do we believe your words, or your actions? If you think that looks fine, I think we found the problem.
My point in this thread is I like this watch enough to have ordered it. Do you have any other actions in this thread besides telling us all what size watch we should be wearing?

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
My point in this thread is I like this watch enough to have ordered it. Do you have any other actions in this thread besides telling us all what size watch we should be wearing?
Yes, defending my position when people keep needlessly keep quoting my posts and to refute the silly posts attacking me. If you (collectively) stop, I'll be happy to stop.

121 - 140 of 204 Posts