WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a seiko black monster from amazon, movement is about 10 seconds + per day right now, which doesn't bother me

My minute hand is a bit out of sync with the hour hand, it looks like the hour hand is centered at a number when the minute hand is somewhere between 56-58 minutes

Is this worth sending back?

·
Registered
380 Posts
happens sometimes. I knew it would drive me nuts when I got one of my pieces last year. I thought about it and knew I would focus on it everytime I wore it. So, I heeded the good advice from folks here and sent it back to get it fixed. Made me feel much better actually. Amazon is good, if you send it back for a replacement, they'll actually send you a replacement before you even send the defected item back, they give you 30 days, and since the item is defective, you dont have to pay for shipping. The only problem is there is no guarantee that the new watch will be any better. I guess thats the catch of buying before seeing, ie online. But usually the price difference is well worth it. If youre near a Seiko outlet, go there and sign up for email alerts, sometimes you get nice coupons in the inbox and makes the outlet price very near online prices and you get to go to the store and touch. Lots of luck, Grandeson

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much does it cost to get these kinda things fixed if I take it to a local watch repair guy? I've been wearing it for a few days, just noticed it, so realized I might not be able to send it back

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
It's an easy fix for any experienced watch repairman/woman. Would not recommend taking it to someone that only does bracelet adjustments or battery replacements though...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
When you set it, did you make sure to advance the minute hand at least five minutes ahead of the current time (before turning it back to the proper time)? If you did not, it may explain the discrepancy.

Just got a seiko black monster from amazon, movement is about 10 seconds + per day right now, which doesn't bother me

My minute hand is a bit out of sync with the hour hand, it looks like the hour hand is centered at a number when the minute hand is somewhere between 56-58 minutes

·
Registered
380 Posts
When I had it done it I believe had been worn. But since it was under warranty+(bought from an AD) I sent it to one of their service centers, try contacting manufacturer directly. Amazon is great with returns though. I have reset hands on my own as well, just got to be careful with marring hands and/or dial when removing hands. I wont do it again until I get better hand removers then what I have in my beginners kit.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

According to Seiko standards this is acceptable, and probably half of the watches that roll off the assembly line are not "dead-on". Within a couple of minutes is a pass for QC. The reason for that is that there is a little bit of "slack" with the movement, and it depends on what direction the tension was on the gears when the robot popped on the hands.

If the seller went through and didn't ship every watch he had like that, half his watches would be "unsellable".

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is a common problem even with more expensive watches. I also have IWC, Sinn, Omega and Longines and of those 4 watches, only one of them is aligned correctly. The other three are all off by 3 minutes (or more). A little disappointing, but what can you do? Considering all the horror stories you read about watches going in for warranty service and coming back in the same (or worse) shape makes me hesitant to get it fixed for such a minor problem.

All my Seikos are spot on, but that's because I mod them myself. Although I just remembered I do have an Alpinist that is also spot on.

If it were a 7s26 Seiko (sub $200) I'd fix it myself, but for anything greater, I wouldn't touch it for fear that I'd mess something up. Not a huge loss of I mess a 7s26 up and I can always get a replacement movement cheaply if I need. No way I'm opening up my IWC to fix the hands myself; way too much risk for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts