WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't want to mislead anyone, the difference appears to be a variation rather than anything really significant. The new AQ4000-51 series don't have the power reserve dial but have an A060 movement rather than the A010 used in all the other Eco-drive models. I notice that there is way for the wearer to ascertain the power reserve but I can't see anything on the photos provided by Mr Citizen. I like the idea of not having a fuel gauge but I don't like not having lume and I'd like to know the the diameter. The specs say "white plating" rather than the usual Duratect but that may merely be translation rather than an actual change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here is Citizen's own website: ??????????????????AQ4000-51E?CITIZEN-????????
Unfortunately i cannot read Japanese. Maybe some member can translate it?

What's interesting is that the bracelet and the case of the new AQ-4000-51 series look like an 1:1 copy of Seiko's SBGX0.. series,
almost in minute detail. The dials and the diameter are different, though.

Maybe it's just an upgrade of their A660 movement. The specifications are identical +/- 5 sec. and it's got the push piece
for setting the perpetual calendar, like on the Chronomaster.

The Eco-Drive feature makes it very interesting. No batteries any more! Set it and forget it, for years!
Still hope they will sell them in good ol' Europe one day.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Here is Citizen's own website: ??????????????????AQ4000-51E?CITIZEN-????????
Unfortunately i cannot read Japanese. Maybe some member can translate it?

What's interesting is that the bracelet and the case of the new AQ-4000-51 series look like an 1:1 copy of Seiko's SBGX0.. series,
almost in minute detail. The dials and the diameter are different, though.

Maybe it's just an upgrade of their A660 movement. The specifications are identical +/- 5 sec. and it's got the push piece

Still hope they will sell them in good ol' Europe one day.
Get yourself a copy of Google's Chrome browser installed, even if you're only going to use it for Japanese watch sites! It will translate each page into something like English on the fly. Here's that page's technical info from Chrome:

Basic specifications

Caliber No.A060
Accuracy± 5 seconds / year
CaseStainless
Surface treatmentWhite plating
GlassSapphire glass (99% Clarity coating)
BandThree tree during the breaking push type clasp
FunctionSecond hand stop function
date early correction function
0:00 just calendar update function
time difference correction function
remaining charge display function
Charge warning function
Overcharge protection
impact detection function
needle automatic correction function
Warranty10-year manufacturer's warranty
free of charge inspection

·
Registered
886 Posts
Rather, it should be variation of the A010 movement, eco-drive but with no fuel gauge. The A660 is not eco-drive.

·
Registered
721 Posts
....I notice that there is way for the wearer to ascertain the power reserve but I can't see anything on the photos provided by Mr Citizen. I like the idea of not having a fuel gauge but I don't like not having lume and I'd like to know the the diameter. The specs say "white plating" rather than the usual Duratect but that may merely be translation rather than an actual change.
These two new versions also use Duratect, specifically 'PTIC.' You can see the PTIC symbol...
...with all the other relevant model specific symbols just above 'Basic Specifications.'

The multifunctional secs hand now also handles PR indicator duties on this new calibre.
(see p12 of the full version pdf or on this mini version linked below the PR graphic and info is on the left side directly below the explanation of the crown positions)
http://citizen.jp/cs/guide-pdf/a060.pdf

Level 3 = Approx 210-160 days PR. (secs hand points to 15 min marker)
Level 2 = Approx 160-100 days PR. (secs hand points to 10 min marker, etc, etc)
Level 1 = Approx 100-3 days PR. (secs hand points to 5 min marker)
Level 0 = Approx 3 days PR. (secs hand moves in 2 sec intervals)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly! White plating and nothing about diameter! I habitually use Chrome so The Citizen site that is linked to Higuchi's Shopping site is automatcally translated...after a moment's thought!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If GregNYC is deterred from having one or several of them, buying directly from one of the dealers in Japan is really very painless and, at least in my experience, completely safe. I've bought a number of watches from Higuchi-inc.com and from Seiya and never had any problem. Other WUS members have bought from these and other dealers, also without difficulties as far as I know. Both the two I mentioned offer pretty good discounts, too.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Fran, maybe you are forgetting that you already know me? We have corresponded lots, and I'm an old hand at ordering from Japan.

I've been really busy with other projects but for some reason, just got interested in HAQ again last week! I was going to write you a PM and see how you've been doing.

Ronaldheld, I hadn't known about the Citizen Boutique in Times Square. I'll go today. I visited the one in Tokyo a few years ago, but no HAQ there....

--Greg

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I just returned from the NYC Boutique. No HAQ there. These models are just not in the U.S. inventory.

But I did find out that we can send our JDM quartz Citizens to the U.S. service center for servicing, including for things like hand mis-alignment. I even called the service center to make sure. Maybe others have tried this. Here's some info about it:

COA - Attn: CS Department
1000 West 190th Street, Dept. R
Torrance, CA 90502-1040

Tel. 1-800-321-1023 Ext. 4234

·
Registered
351 Posts
Interesting about the power reserve indication on the second hand.

I would be interested in an A010 without power reserve but I'm not yet convinced about the looks.
It's a shame they didn't copy the superior (GS inspired) looks of the automatic 'The Citizen'. The bracelet and hands in particular.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The PR-less movement is a welcome addition, I just wish Citizen was a bit more adventurous with their HAQ lineup. I already have dressy Grand Seikos, and adding any of the current The Citizens would be redundant. Maybe a Nighthawk-type model? A reissue of the Crystron diver?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Interesting about the power reserve indication on the second hand.

I would be interested in an A010 without power reserve but I'm not yet convinced about the looks.
It's a shame they didn't copy the superior (GS inspired) looks of the automatic 'The Citizen'. The bracelet and hands in particular.
I agree. Citizen have not been very creative at all with the Eco drive line of The Citizen. Whereas the Chronomasters came in a wide variety of case and dial configurations they seem to be stuck in a rut as far as the latest versions go.
Though getting rid of the power gauge is a major improvement.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm glad to see a variety of new models, but I'd like to see a greater variety of choices. I recently bought an AQ1040-53E for my father and it is a great watch.

For me, I have a 9F Grand Seiko with another one on the way. The new watch has a different case, dial, & bracelet than my other 9F watch. I was also glad to see Seiko make 9F dive watches. I would like to have a Citizen, but I'll wait until they have a model that really captures my attention (the AQ1040 was the nicest so far with titanium & lume).

I would also like to see classic models in gold on a strap in both the Grand Seiko 9F & Citizen lines. The only one right now is the GS SBGX038 & it doesn't offer a date (would love to see more day-date models too).

The variety of dials, cases, & bracelets in the GS line is much greater than in the Citizen line.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts