WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a 10years old glashutte pano resserve xl. Is it a mistake buying an unworn watch that old from a mechanical perspective?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
I wouldn't say it's a mistake, but I'd definitely want to bring it to a watch doctor for a quick check-up, to be safe. 10 years is a long time.
^^ This. You have to wonder about the state of the lubrication in the movement.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
With a watch that old, there better be a really nice discount because I would assume at this point it is running out of spec and would need at least a basic service

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
After a decade I would be concerned about the oil drying etc ..... so a service would probably be in order, but since there should be no actual wear on the parts I wouldn’t call it a bad deal. Depends on the price of the watch, the discount for being NOS and the cost of the service. Also I would consider if it’s a watch I intended to keep a long time and how much I’d wear it and if nothing similar was in production anymore.

·
Registered
10,707 Posts
Modern lubricants do not dry out, so, unlike others above, I would have absolutely no concerns since I assume (and this is the key part) the seller has tested it see if it were both running and accurate--if so, it should be fine just as it is, with no need of immediate servicing. I do, however, consider all "NOS" in the same class as used, and whenever I buy used, I do assume that it MAY need servicing, and factor that cost into the total of what I would be willing to pay for the watch--I would NOT, however, get it serviced immediately simply because it is 10 years old, but only if it were not running smoothly, consistently and accurately--pretty much the same criteria I use for determining when to service any watch.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
The "shelf life" of movement oils currently used is about 7-8 years. That said, I believe you shouldn't even think of wearing it before it's serviced.

·
Registered
206 Posts
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet are gaskets/seals. For all you know, some seals may have already failed, especially if lubricant has pooled in area after sitting for a long while (regardless of breaking down or not.)

I would have the watch pressure tested and checked for accuracy. If it passes, consider a service in the near future (within a year or so) rather than a normal service interval of ~5 years from purchase.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,759 Posts
Wouldn't bother me in the least. I'm assuming it's an out of production watch that you found for a good price. If not, then it might bug me slightly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
71,277 Posts
I’d want a really hefty discount because the first thing I would do was send it for a service and the cost of that would have to be factored in.

·
Banned
113 Posts
Take it to a watch doctor for proper check up, 10 years is enough for a watch to develop a mechanical fault, if still under warranty then it’s better deal.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Why has this watch been unworn for that long? Is this sitting at a dealer or where?

Reactions: Watchbreath

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
As Jaco Pastorius would say, "Fret not."
It may need a little lube up, but if it has just been sitting in it's dark box for 10 years, it is probably fine. Keep an eye on it and if the accuracy is way off, then hopefully a mild service.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I would be sceptical that a watch so valuable would sit around unused and unsold for 10 years. I just don’t see it. A grey market dealer bought it and could t shift it for 10 years? Surely he would drop the price to sell it at some point in that period.

I’d treat it as used, and I’d also be wary that it may be a used watch that has received some amount of polishing by someone other than the manufacturer. I would inspect it closely, ask why it hadn’t been used or sold in the last 10 years, and factor in a service as it if was used.

You do get cases where some watch parts have been stored away somewhere for a decade by someone who forgot about them, but a whole watch? I’m sceptical.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
If I liked the watch, I would buy the NOS. Like others have said, factor in a service when negotiating. I would then wear the watch to see what it's doing and service when needed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Official service in GO for them will be ~ 800$.
So in case price is good enough to give them into service after buying then it may be a good deal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts