Votes: 1 2.7%
  • NA

Votes: 5 13.5%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to take a poll of anyone who has purchased a new Omega and had a failure within the first 4 years.

I am looking like many to purchase my first nice watch and am set on the Speedmaster professional.

I have seen lots of discussion on where and how much to pay, and many folks say its worth it to pay thousands more for the Omega Warranty.

I am curious since the omega warranty is only 2 years how many have had a failure within that time period that needed warranty. I mean this watch went through a barrage of tests qualifying it for space flight, but is it so unreliable that a 2 year warranty is worth thousands?

In comparison to someone like jomashop that offers a 4 year warranty.

Now i get that the Omega warranty is worth more, but if the chance of failure is close to 0 in that first 2 years then how much is it actually worth? Does that chance of failure rise between years 2-4? (Only going to 4 years since, the 5th year is a service year anyway, just looking for new owner premature failure stories)

I find it odd that a car that usually lasts 5-10 years for most users comes with a 3-7 year warranty, where this swiss made timepiece that is supposed to be near the pinnacle of reliability and can be an heirloom piece used for 30+ years only comes with a 2 year warranty?

Is omega banking on the fact that the failure rate is so low that these "warranties" are used in a very low percentage of cases?

Are these failures catastrophic enough that a regular watch maker could not repair and only the experts at Omega can fix?

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
The winding stem in my FOIS locked down just a few weeks before the 2-year warranty expired.

The Seattle SC turn it around very quickly. No problems since.

Of my many new Omegas over the years, that's the only warranty claim I've had.

For that matter, that is the only repair I've had other than a mainspring replacement on my 105.012 Speedy Pro.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
You should modify your poll to be specific to the speedmaster professional as the other lines have completely changed movements over the last 4 years and changed the warranty for them to 3-4 years.

And, as has been pointed out many times with countless polls, the statistical probability of a reported failure on a forum is going to be higher than the general watch buying public because the tendency to seek help with a problem is a large portion of new forum dwellers.

And, for your information, the industry standard warranty is 2 years. The oils used today are good for 3-5 years so anything beyond 2 becomes less of a technical issue and more of a lubrication issue. Watch companies don't feel compelled to cover oil issues. Fwiw, 3 modern omegas in the past 13 years. No warranty or maintenance issues.

·
7,669 Posts
Had a brand new 2254.50 for 5 years with zero problems.

It's not just paying $___ more for warranty, you know you are not getting someones return or possibly repaired watch. You know if the unfortunate event happens that you need a repair, you are getting a watchmaker that knows the watch, is certified to work on it, and will use authentic, not aftermarket parts to repair.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Also, you're really not paying thousands more for an AD piece vs GM. Likely a couple hundred more, but if you're patient you can get a new piece with Omega warranty for nearly the same price as GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DougFNJ

·
Registered
872 Posts
Also, you're really not paying thousands more for an AD piece vs GM. Likely a couple hundred more, but if you're patient you can get a new piece with Omega warranty for nearly the same price as GM.

I've PMed him where I got my Speedy with Omega warranty at almost Jomashop prices. He continues to post these questions and threads. Not sure why.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've PMed him where I got my Speedy with Omega warranty at almost Jomashop prices. He continues to post these questions and threads. Not sure why.
Soooooo, where'd you get your Speedy? I'm in the process of looking too and will hopefully be buying in several weeks, trying to get as long a list as possible of places I know I can buy from.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because regular sense would indicate that 4 years of OK warranty would be better than 2 years of great warranty if chances of failure are very low during first 2 years.

Unless, reliability is very low on these watches and the omega warranty for shorter period is worth more than jomashop 4 year warranty.

Trying to get some actual stats on these matters rather than the standard hyperbole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I had a Speedmaster '57 Broad Arrow purchased from an AD. One of the pushers fell off (just fell off right i my hand - didn't even touch it) about 6-9 months into ownership. It was sent to Omega for repairs, including a misaligned date wheel.

I have a Speedy Pro now, with no issues. It's only 2 months old.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Consider that warranty from AD and GM are totally different things. I've read on this forum that Jomashop for example is very good when there is something wrong with the watch at the moment you buy, they will replace it no questions asked, but on the other hand they sucks when it comes to later claims.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
My general guideline is if the savings meet or exceed the cost of a full service, it makes sense to buy grey market...

·
Registered
344 Posts
The type of movement also makes a difference, I had a PO 2500c that was bought new and it failed. (fixed under warranty) Does that compare to the newer movements......

·
Registered
947 Posts
Never had a failure on a new watch but I had my PO 2500 serviced after 12 months due to it running fast. I expected this since it was NOS.

My SMP ran strong for 9 years before quitting. I try to now service it before that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had a two week old PO and the spring on the crown failed. If you can't imagine what I mean, when you unscrew the crown it's supposed to pop out (from the spring), mine didn't pop out. Omega boutique in NYC fixed it without issue.

·
7,669 Posts
Because regular sense would indicate that 4 years of OK warranty would be better than 2 years of great warranty if chances of failure are very low during first 2 years
I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. Something goes wrong in 2 years. Send it to Omega, have it fixed by the right people with the right parts the first time.

Send it in to a grey market jeweler, don't know who is working on it or if original parts.

We are talking about an expensive luxury item. Know what I am getting for 2 years or mystery shot for 4.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hmm, cars last more than 5-10 years, it's that many people trade their cars in because of the age, the mileage, or the upcoming maintenance costs, which may be loosely related to the warranty. As to the Speedy Pro, I have 3, one from the early 70's one from the 90's, and one from the 2000's. They've been reliable over the last 6 years of ownership.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I would guess that the failure rate is extremely small, like 1 or 2%. Slight adjustments during thr first 2 years would be much more common but still probably only like 5 or 10% of new watches need them. I totally made these numbers up but I bet I am fairly close on this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts