WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased two chinese movement watches from ebay: alpha radiomir automatic and a Pam homage. I like the cusion case and the simple look of panerai styple dials.

I didn't want to "pirate" the panerai name and at the same time did not want to pay premium money for the swiss homage versions as I understand they are assembled in Asia anyhow. So I got one that is pretty much without branding.

Just wanted to know if I made a wrong decision to buy a chinese version as I have heard many horror stories of chinese movement watches, but at the same time, I read from a post that 6497 is fairly simple movement and that the chinese movement is fairly well done as opposed to chinese 7750. Am I to expect them to fall apart months from now? One is auto and the other is copy of 6497 with swan neck regulator.

Another question: how does the swan neck regulator work? what is it? the seller states that it helps in accuracy of the movement, but how?

Also, crown work in panerai like watches?

Here are some pics.

I am a newby to watches, and thanks to you all, started my collection with Hamilton Khaki chrono and Daniel Mink diver from TJ maxx. I love both watched. They are very well made and love the 7750 movement with its swirl now and then to remind me of its presence on my wrist, very awesome.:-!

Any opinions or comments will be much appreciated and have Happy Holidays!

864d_1.JPG 8375_1.JPG 55_12.JPG

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Congrats on your selections also, not to get in the technical part of this so you can understand much better "Believe it or not lots of parts come from ASIA" some of the big brands out here get there stuff from there as well cheaper to produce (BAD LABOR LAWS) so dont fill to bad enjoy your watches for what they are and as long as your not trying to pass them off as something there not then I think its ok plus its your money anyway Right:-!

There is always a crapshoot when buying these, if it last a year, then you got your monies worth, if longer then you really know what you've got. As far as the asian copied 7750 well some work and others dont but im sure they will truly master it soon give them sometime JMHO

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hey Ken I started to jump on one of those but backed off affraid of what might happen after I get it. (Used one)

Im glad yours still work, have you done a comparison to any other 7750 just to see the feel and or the finish or did I miss that already

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Aeromatic with Chinese version of the 7750 is still runnig fine after 3 months.

That is one nice watch.:p
The lume looks not too bad either. Great pics.

I am not trying to disclaim Chinese 7750. Just rephrasing what I read on other fora. I did read that they have new Chinese 7750 which is very reliable on some other forum.

Just wanted to find out how reliable the movement in my Pam homage is.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
That is one nice watch.:p
The lume looks not too bad either. Great pics.

I am not trying to disclaim Chinese 7750. Just rephrasing what I read on other fora. I did read that they have new Chinese 7750 which is very reliable on some other forum.

Just wanted to find out how reliable the movement in my Pam homage is.

Well I have to admit that this is a replacemet as the first one was faulty. After the first one became fully wound it started to gain about one second every minute, but the replacement works fine. By the way, the pictures are those of the eBay seller.

jak, I hav'nt compared this Watch to another 7750 as yet, but I have a couple on the way with 7750 movements. So let you know how they compare when one arrives.

Don't blame you for backing off from a second hand Aeromatic, you never know, it could have a problem too. At least with a new one you get a two year warranty.

Merry Christmas, Ken.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Thanx Ken, and Py I know you werent trying to disclaim it, I was just letting you know incase you didnt because some people dont take to kindly of these type of watches as for me I own at least 3-4 of these type of watches and all have been great for the price I paid for them and I hope that yours will be also. I figure if one goes bad then it will be trashed partially except for the case because that I can re-use for another movt.:-!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts