WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just returned from a trip to Taipei to visit my father and he passed on to me a 1655 orange-hand Explorer II. I am aware of their inherent value but one issue I have is wheter or not I should start refurbishing it or leaving it in original condition. Coincidentally, it has pretty much been worn everyday for the last 30 years.

Frankly, the decision to refurbish will be based on what impact this will have on value as I have intentions of selling or trading this piece.

Will post pics in a few days.

·
Registered
9,962 Posts
hello, congrats...you have IMHO one of the top iconic Rolexes. I have 2 1655's, both bought new...my dad and I bought them in '73. They are my favorite watches and get worn a lot. I had both renovated at Rolex serv. ctr. Some prefer their watches to have the aging patina, I prefer them sharp like old cars that have been kept mint and shiny!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Wow, get those pics up pck823. Can't wait to see them and what you get for it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is my first attempt at posting pics here...not the best pictures from a staging standpoint - I have a lot to learn about that after seeing some of the beautiful photogrpahy here...

I took the band off to give the whole works a gentle soap and water bath - the water was black afterwards!

By the way-if anyone has inventory to trade, this is what I'm looking for:
GMT Master stainless ref 116710 (new style w/ ceramic bezel)
GMT Master 18K ref 116718 (new style w/ ceramic bezel)
Yachtmaster ss/platinum ref # 16622 (I think this is the latest)
Baume&Mercier ladies Capetown 18K/dia ref MOA08517

I've read that some collectors prefer original condition watches but ultimately if I can find the right trade, I may or may not refurbish this one. It does look a little rough, but everything is there and nothing is broker per se.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts