WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New Orient Blue Mako - Second Hand Pauses at 44

997 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  scoville 
#1 ·
I just registered today, but I've been lurking for a while.

I got interested because the Movado watch I got for college graduation just stopped working. I wanted to get a dive watch, but I wanted bang for buck, and I didn't want to go big on my first one in case I don't like the thicker, automatic divers (the Movado was very slim). So, after a lot of reading, I decided on the Orient Blue Mako.

I received it from Amazon.com yesterday, and I immediately adjusted the links (I have a very small wrist - took out four links). After adjusting the links, I "wound" the watch according to a search I did here - I basically held it parallel to the ground and made circular motions for about 5 minutes.

I've noticed that the second hand pauses at 44 (just before the 9). It only pauses for a very quick time, almost like a hiccup. But, I also noticed that it lost ~5 minutes over the course of six hours yesterday.

Do you guys have any suggestions or diagnosis?

Thanks,

Will

See less See more
#4 ·
If you bought it from Amazon, they should be able to exchange the watch, otherwise, Orient provides a 1 year warranty and the watch must be return to Orient's USA service station in Los Angeles, CA (Puri-Time, inc).

I have had my blue Mako for about a month and no problems with it.

#9 ·
I also have had problems with Orient, I had a Quartz Chrono and after 1 month the large second hand did not work nor did one of the other sub dials. I sent it back to Orient for Warranty service (the movement is all they cover anyway) and they told me they would have to charge me for repairs due to Abuse. The watch was Brand New --- I will never buy or recommend another Orient -- Auto, Manual or Quartz ever again!!

#10 ·
I bought a mako directly from Orient about a month ago. It was DOA. Wouldn't work out of the box.

So, I contact Joey at Orient and he responds by assuming that I don't know how an automatic watch works. Very insulting. o| I contact him back to say that I'm aware and that the watch isn't actually working.

I was going to have to pay shipping (and possibly more) to get it fixed by Orient. Ok, I understand shipping costs if I'm sending it back because it breaks on me well into the warranty period, but it never worked to begin with. And even a return would have been shipping + restocking fee out of my pocket for a watch that never worked.

Unacceptable.

To fix the problem I just bought the same watch from Amazon and their exemplary return policy took back the dud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.