WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Not to be picky :) But a hacking, GMT, Diver would be a most amazing timepiece. They have the movements and Mako cases....
I agree. This watch has all the missing pieces, I just don't care for the whole delivery. If they made a diver with these elements, or even a sportier dress version of this current watch, it would be on my wrist in no time.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
28800 bph movements are nice for a central sweep second hand, for that vintage "luxury watch" look and feel (i.e. Rolex 6538, preserved for history in GOLDFINGER's pre-title sequence), but really doesn't add anything to accuracy considering the quality of today's movements. Oh, it's "nice" to see the sweep second hand moving a bit more smoothly around the dial, but really how many times a day do any of us use this? (Me, when I grind coffee, but 21,600 bph is sufficient for that.)

An exception would be chronos. I have a watch with, apparently, a Shanghai 3L movement (7750 clone), the high beat rate is wasted on the seconds sub-dial (makes it a little hard to see if it's running, actually), but comes in handy for the central sweep second hand of the chrono. Now that's a good application of a 28,800 bph movment IMHO.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I agree chrome, I have a hammy jazzy. It looks the like small seconds @9 stops moving sometimes, but the chrono center seconds is OK. Like many before have said numerous times, the center chrono hand is a bit choppy :(

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Maybe we should all e-mail orient USA and ask them to start asking Japan to send them our way. What do you guys think?
I emailed them, and they responded saying they thought it was a JDM watch. It clearly isn't, or it wouldn't be on orient-watch.com, or have a 'distributors' link at the top of the micro-site (Classic-Automatic GMT | ORIENT WATCH) for finding all the international distributors, including Puritime.

I don't think they are following new releases as much as we are, and it could well be that Orient makes this available to them in the near future. Based on the micro-site, they seem to see this watch as a pretty big deal and want to push it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think a very good feature in a quite good model,
hack, handwind, power reserve, and GMT in one watch, just wondering about the price.

And if it is an international model, it should be not hard to find it everywhere maybe in 2-3 months ahead?
Btw this model is DJ02003W, anyone know this EJ02003W?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just joined this site because I'm enamored with this watch, which apparently has been rumored/sighted for some time without it actually being sold anywhere. Probably not smart to judge without seeing it in person, but I'm thinking of it as my first watch and to commemorate graduating from college. I hope yuber5 is right that it should be everywhere in a couple months... just in time!

I just emailed Puritime and am tempted to ask the domestic marketing address in Japanese.

Design is similar to WV0531ER (domestic tag) which sells for about $200, but I'm guessing it'll be quite a bit more than that since orient-watch.com bills it as "our new flagship model." I'm guessing it'll be more expensive than the other world time watches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No response from Puritime. Considering that it has been 5 weeks since their product announcement "for immediate release" and watch bloggers have seen the watch in person, I wonder what could possibly be taking so long.

I'm going to write the Japanese marketing contact....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heard back from Orient Tokyo.

Polite but somewhat puzzling response. (They also got my name wrong, which is a bit annoying.)

Orient HQ says that the DJ02 is a model "currently being sold in select regions." "The on-sale date/season for the US is undetermined." This is my own translation of their Japanese response.

The implication in Japanese is this: It is slated for release in the US, but when has not yet been determined. If it weren't slated for release in the US, they would have said "The selling in USA is undetermined," and say nothing of the date/season for starting to sell.

Curiously, despite basically telling me that US distribution is in the planning stages, they also said they'd pressure Puritime into answering my inquiry. Now I feel kind of like I'm in the wrong for getting anxious.

I had also asked about the price at least in general terms, but perhaps unsurprisingly, they did not comment on the price even in general terms.

Of course, if HQ can't really tell me much, I'm not sure what good it is to pester Puritime. Since I was thinking of this watch as my very first watch, I wonder if I should look into other classy watches. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
It might show up on one of the Singapore sites (Watches88, skywatches) before OrientUSA gets it, so it is worth checking in with them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyone have any news regarding the release of this watch? I emailed Orient enquiring about it and recieved this response.
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, we don't have any distributors in Australia, and we don't have any net shopping system.
We don't think you can buy ORIENT watches in Australia.
Recently, some person buy the watches by internet shopping, however those are not official sales.
We don't know they are real ORIENT watches or not.
In addition, they don't give you the guarantee booklet, and some troubles are already happened.
Sorry for your inconvenience.
Best regards
ORIENT WATCH CO., LTD

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Anyone have any news regarding the release of this watch? I emailed Orient enquiring about it and recieved this response.
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, we don't have any distributors in Australia, and we don't have any net shopping system.
We don't think you can buy ORIENT watches in Australia.
Recently, some person buy the watches by internet shopping, however those are not official sales.
We don't know they are real ORIENT watches or not.
In addition, they don't give you the guarantee booklet, and some troubles are already happened.
Sorry for your inconvenience.
Best regards
ORIENT WATCH CO., LTD
That is a typical response, actually. Seiko also sent me something like that, but I was indeed inquiring about their curiously termed 'net shopping system'. Come on, everyone knows (at least every WIS) that watches always go from factories to ADs and then to the retailers, including online stores. It's the only reason why online prices are always much lower, because they got massive discounts from ADs for buying in bulk. Sometimes it's even worse, a (not always rogue) AD employee opens up a webstore and sells his own company's merchandise for 50% off! I know this because I knew a chap who ran such a "business" locally. If ADs only sell to end users (not us, obviously) then how can any AD survive for years, let alone decades?

Thread jacking rant over.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
What a coincidence that you brought this up, Mark! I was saving up for the DJ02 but finally decided that it's a bit TOO dressy for me. I already have the beautiful Orient 60th Anniversary for those rare occasions. I took that fund and ordered the new M-Force as soon as you posted it this past weekend. What can I say...it's love at first sight. I was slightly disappointed when I learned afterward that it has folded end links instead of SEL. But in reality, it's not that big of a deal. Rolex Submariners never had them until recent years and people actually argue that the folded end links were more comfortable. I'm hoping to be able to post my first ever watch review when I get it this weekend.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.