WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered the Orient Pocket watch.... I've never owned a pocket watch but with the features this one offered and the beautiful face how could I resist? lol

The watch arrived today, well packaged and in a nice Orient box, perhaps nicer than the old style black/aluminum boxes.

Open the box and BAM, the first thing you notice are the blue (almost purple) hands. While I doubt these are furnace blued, as they are too glossy, the blue really pops on the off white dial. The texturing is also very well done as it looks very intricate. The little silver stud hour markers are applied and are actually elevated from the dial which looks great. The power reserve dial is also done well and about 20-25 winds will get you near 40 hours of reserve. The movement decoration cannot keep up with the beauty of the face, but again, at $200ish I can't expect the world. It's got a decent finish but with most of the movement under a plate, there really isn't much to see back there. A nice touch was dual sapphire which only makes sense but I'm sure there are companies that do front sapphire only. Accuracy has yet to be tested but if Orient maintains its track record, it should be excellent as AFAIK, this is a newly developed movement, most likely a mid-range auto minus the rotor assembly. One thing I notice is the flared spoke balance wheels which is another nice touch and in ETA world, is only included in Top/Chronometre spec IIRC. Overall, the watch has some heft, being heavier than I expected but not a rock by any means. The crown winds easily and slowly gets more resistence as you near full PR, pulling out the crown gets you a nice solid click, no play in the stem, just an overall solid feel in the winding/setting mechanisms.

I don't do scores but I'd have to give Orient an A on their first pocket watch attempt. You get mid/mid-high range features at an entry level price. Dual sapphires, nice solid SS, intricate dial, mid range movement. The only thing I'd improve upon would be finishing the movement a little more nicely as the rest of the watch is so refined, the movement looks rough in comparison. I can't wait to stick it in my pocket tomorrow for work. Here are some pics. Thumbs up Orient.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
That is a very nice timepiece.

You going to start wearing a waistcoat so that you can carry it?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Good for orient for going in this direction. I've been considering buying one to live with my vintage pocket watches. It would be more of a curiosity for me, but I do really like the idea of a company building a traditional pocket watch for the modern era. With any luck this won't be the last pocket watch Orient makes.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I was a bit off in saying that this was their first... they do produce a Royal Orient version that offers tighter accuracy and a 50 hour PR but nearly the same design.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Nice buy, but what I'm wondering is that since this is an automatic pocket watch, will it the rotor get enough turns in the pocket to keep it ticking?

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it's a handwinder....the movement is a newly developed automatic movement sans the rotor assembley.

·
Registered
608 Posts
This is a really classy pocketwatch, definitely on my list of watches to buy this year, especially after reading this post. The hands really do pop. Thumbs up to Orient. Wear it in good health!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
This is a beautiful watch that I've been looking at for months.
My only reservation is that it's too small. Some posts seem to suggest that it is a wrist watch movement that accounts for its demunitive size.
francobollo

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
It seems to be closer to a 10 size pocket watch than a 12. At 12 size it would be small, but workable. At 16 it would be optimal.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, at 40mm it is small, however, that makes sense as they used a watch movement vs. a pocket watch movement (like the 6497).

·
5,150 Posts
Thumbs up for the review, buddy. It is a very nice looking watch and, being an Orient, should give you sterling service.

I'll copy this into the reviews section for future reference.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Very nice looking piece and it's good to see something current. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
IMG_1896.JPG
Mine says 'hi'!
At 40mm, it's indeed smaller than other pocket watches but because it's small, i can actually put it in the little pocket meant for coins on my jeans (without the coins of course). I wonder why Orient doesn't make anymore PW. This one has been around for a couple of years already.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i can actually put it in the little pocket meant for coins on my jeans (without the coins of course).
I have wondered if pocket watches are ever warn anymore, but thanks to a slip in the snow I discovered a few days ago that it is not wise to ware a wristwatch while using crutches. Either the watch gets major swirlies on the buckle or wares a hole through your shirt cuff. With cell phones getting bigger, it is hard to always have one available for timekeeping as it is imposable to carry anything in your hand. A small one that fits is a modern "watch pocket" sounds great to me.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Plenty of people wear a pocket watch. I wear one myself from time to time, and the coin pocket in a typical pair of jeans is big enough to hold a 16 size watch, so this one should fit there with ease given it's exceptionally diminutive size.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Plenty of people wear a pocket watch. I wear one myself from time to time, and the coin pocket in a typical pair of jeans is big enough to hold a 16 size watch, so this one should fit there with ease given it's exceptionally diminutive size.
I recently bought a vintage pocket watch for summer use when I stop wearing wrist watches. I was surprised that it didn't fit in my coin pocket of my jeans when I tried recently. I had a moment of dread thinking that I had slaved to buy the PW on auction only to not have it fit in my coin pocket but then remembered the PW was really aimed for the summer months and I'll be wearing shorts that have larger coin pockets. :-d The Orient should be small enough if I ever did want a pocket watch to fit in the coin pocket of my jeans.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts