WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased the Oris Big Crown Pointer date all steel from ShopNBC. I am awaiting Fedex to deliver it and I have one question. I know it has an acrylic crystal on it and I am wondering how durable it is and if I have to do anything special to make it last. I want the watch to last a very long time and want to make sure I dont do anything that could do damage to it. Thanks.

·
1,260 Posts
Nothing special. Acrylic will scratch, so you might not want to wear it in situations where it will get hit a lot - but the BC Pointer is not a "sports watch", so you probably wouldn't be wearing it in those situations anyway.

If you do get some scratches, acrylic will polish out nicely. I think it is called Polywatch - it is a product for polishing acrylic crystals. I saw a test where they took an acrylic crystal and intentionally scratched it up with sandpaper. Polywatch made it look virtually brand new.

Enjoy your new Oris and welcome to the Oris Club.

Chris

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Chris for the pointers. I kept reading up on the watch and they said that the acrylic is better than mineral because you can buff out the scratches on the mineral. I do wish the exibition caseback was saphire, but that was not a deal breaker. I really cant wait any longer for Fedex to deliver the watch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello,

I have an Oris TT1 divers blue face stainless steel bracelet great watch. I also have an Omega Speedmaster pro. which has an acrylic crystal I want to reasure you that any scratches can easily be polished out. Acrylic crystals are alot stronger than sapphire and mineral crystals as it is of a softer material and is nearly shatter resistant unlike sapphire which is hard and although scratch resistant can shatter or chip if knocked hard enough.

I use polywatch which is a cream and rub the crystal with a cotton wool ball for two minutes any scratches are completely removed. If you ever did break the crystal acrylic ones are far cheaper to replace. Visit the Omega forum on this site and look for Jean- Michaels website for speedmasters one there you will see a deeply scratched crystal be polished and looking brand new again. Really do not worry I am a perfectionist with the appearance of my watches if scratches could not be easily and completely removed by myself I would not have spent £1500.00 on that watch

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simon St said:
Hello,

I have an Oris TT1 divers blue face stainless steel bracelet great watch. I also have an Omega Speedmaster pro. which has an acrylic crystal I want to reasure you that any scratches can easily be polished out. Acrylic crystals are alot stronger than sapphire and mineral crystals as it is of a softer material and is nearly shatter resistant unlike sapphire which is hard and although scratch resistant can shatter or chip if knocked hard enough.

I use polywatch which is a cream and rub the crystal with a cotton wool ball for two minutes any scratches are completely removed. If you ever did break the crystal acrylic ones are far cheaper to replace. Visit the Omega forum on this site and look for Jean- Michaels website for speedmasters one there you will see a deeply scratched crystal be polished and looking brand new again. Really do not worry I am a perfectionist with the appearance of my watches if scratches could not be easily and completely removed by myself I would not have spent £1500.00 on that watch
Thanks for the tips Simon. Do you know where a good place to buy the cream online?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used Google and entered polywatch. I live in England and was given a watch dealers website in Sheffield England. You can also use a product called Displex which does the same as polywatch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Kenage,

You can polish your crystal time after time with polywatch Etc.every week if you wished not that you would need to. As it only removes microns of plastic which during polishing fills any small scratches.If you ever got a very deep scratch ( I havent as yet) you would need to gently rub the crystal with a fine glass paper to the depth of the scratch no further or less then polish using polywatch for two minutes in the opposite direction and the crystal will look as new. Visit www.speedmastermission .net and look at (how to section )on polishing a crystal I hope that this helps. Rolex Omega Oris etc widely used acrylic crystals in the past as do Omega Oris And Tag
now on some models tag have a Monnaco watch Steve Mqueen £2500.00 with one which I have polished for a friend.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Simon for all the info. When I do polish the crystal I have to make sure none of it gets on the case or bracelet correct?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I will order some shortly after I get the watch. The Fedex guy is not fast enough for me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just looked at the site Simon. I had to use google because your link didn't have the address correct. It really re-assured me that the acrlic crystal will be ok with the watch. I will make sure to use scotch tape to protect the bezel and the rest of the watch from the paste.

Do you know if the bracelet on the Oris is pins or screws?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts