WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Wow! What a great thread and Shannon. When I looked at Yeoman'a pics of the white dial I was saving images and wiping drool off the iPhone with the same thumb
Any one catch this related link on the Yeoman site ? The comparison of the OS300 to the sumo ?
Orient 300m CFD0C001B and Seiko 200m SBDC001 | Yeoman's Watch Review

Like many of you I've been eyeing this brand and model for a long time. :). It's great to hear so much positive feedback on the accuracy of the watch
Be plunging soon LOL
Cheers !!
That article from Yeoman is quite an old one, have seen it a few times linked here and "elsewhere" too. Some people do think that the OS300 is more on par with Sumo in build quality and general presence, but with similar features to the MM300, and priced at a midway point between the two Seikos. I have to respectfully disagree - it is a worthy rival to the MM300 IMO, at least for budget constrained people like me.

Sent from my C6602 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I know you said white dial, but Seiya has the last gen orange dial with handwind/hack for $1,128 in stock right now. I've got an orange one and love it. A real beast of a watch. I'm not crazy about the bracelet, but it looks great on a variety of aftermarket straps, and I wear mine on a Bonetto Cinturini 300.D. You won't be disappointed!

SeiyaJapan | Grand Seiko | G-Shock | Seiko Spirit | Prospex | Marinemaster | Citizen | SALE ! 300M Orient saturation diver Automatic WV0051EL Orange
Yes I got mine from him earlier in the week, could not beat that price.

IMG_20130404_135311_zpsbcfa2a80.jpg

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have just ordered and paid for the latest model Orient OS300, I am meeting the European distributor tomorrow morning. He will bring all three versions (black, white and red) so I can pick the one I like most. It will probably be a choice between black and white. Being the traditional guy I am it will probably be black, sorry........

I paid the best price available, biggest plus is that it is within EU-borders so no additional taxes. Shiping would have been for free, but as I can't seem to make up my mind colorwise he suggested to meet in person, he would bring all three colors so I could choose on the spot. Now isn't that service?

I will show you what I've come home with tomorrow.............

Eric

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Dang Eric, I knew it you could not resist! :)
By the way the European distributor is a big PLUS for us, looking forward to your pick...

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Is the bracelet of the latest model different, it seems that there are no more polished parts?

Eric

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Is the bracelet of the latest model different, it seems that there are no more polished parts?

Eric
As far as I know, the bracelet has been updated, no more polished parts, top surface fully brushed to withstand more abuse they say... I prefer it!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Aside from the lack of polished bits, is there anything else different about the bracelets of the new vs. old models of this watch? Is the new one heavier or thicker? Does it taper less than the previous one? I prefer the simple look of the new bracelet, but I think it is a stretch to say it will "withstand more abuse."

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Aside from the lack of polished bits, is there anything else different about the bracelets of the new vs. old models of this watch? Is the new one heavier or thicker? Does it taper less than the previous one? I prefer the simple look of the new bracelet, but I think it is a stretch to say it will "withstand more abuse"
I'm 100% sure it's the exact same bracelet, actually "withstand more abuse" wasn't my statement you should have also include "they say" ;-)

Anyway, we are not talking about hardened steel here, if nothing else the lack of those polished parts make it a lot easier to refinish it if scratches occur.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm just going to respectfully disagree. Obviously the Rolex is better engineered (see 3000M vs. 300m) it's better finished IMO, and has a better movement IMO. There is no real comparison here except for outward appearance. Either way, thanks for sharing the comparison pics.
I am a graduate mechanical engineer and honestly believe that the Orient is better engineered. A depth rating is not a measure of better engineering trust me. I agree that the movement and the case are better finished on the Rolex...

41 - 51 of 51 Posts