WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came by this one: Khaki Pioneer 2015 (Release date June 2015) on an Swiss AD's website. Does anyone know anything about this watch? Looks absolutely awesome - I was eyeing an IWC Portuguese but couldn't bring myself to shed that much money for a Valjoux movement. The new pioneer looks extremely good (and a lot like the Portuguese...). Not sure about the lugs, though.

Picture is from the internet.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I just came by this one: Khaki Pioneer 2015 (Release date June 2015) on an Swiss AD's website. Does anyone know anything about this watch? Looks absolutely awesome - I was eyeing an IWC Portuguese but couldn't bring myself to shed that much money for a Valjoux movement. The new pioneer looks extremely good (and a lot like the Portuguese...). Not sure about the lugs, though.

Picture is from the internet.

Navy Pioneer chrono. showed up in the Worn and Wound preview back in Jan (?) 43mm case using an H-21 (60hr reserve based on the 7750), MSRP $1895 US. At the time I think they were talking about a fall release. The navy pioneer 3 handers all use that same case/lug design (though the old 3 handers are smaller than 43, a new Gold PVD 3 Hander is supposed to be 43 and the LE was 46.5(!)). Despite the throw-back wire lug look, they do have standard spring bars hiding in there.

worn&wound | Hamilton 2015 Line Preview - worn&wound

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Navy Pioneer chrono. showed up in the Worn and Wound preview back in Jan (?) 43mm case using an H-21 (60hr reserve based on the 7750), MSRP $1895 US. At the time I think they were talking about a fall release. The navy pioneer 3 handers all use that same case/lug design (though the old 3 handers are smaller than 43, a new Gold PVD 3 Hander is supposed to be 43 and the LE was 46.5(!)). Despite the throw-back wire lug look, they do have standard spring bars hiding in there.

worn&wound | Hamilton 2015 Line Preview - worn&wound
Pretty cool, thanks - really looking forward to this one!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My AD called Hamilton for me today - the Navy Pioneer Chrono will go on sale at the end of June. Haven't pre-ordered it yet, I haven't decided whether I'll go for a silver-dial Pan Europ or this one. Sold the black Pan Europ because I never quite warmed to the black dial (I'm more of a classic design kinda guy), but I really miss having a robust every-day chrono around. I love the Pioneer, but it might be a tad too dressy. I need to compare both of them in the flesh before I can make a final decision.
On the other hand, I've always wanted an IWC Portuguese but can't for the life of me bring myself to paying 7000$ for the same movement that I get from Hamilton for 3x less. And the Pioneer strongly resembles the Portuguese (at least that's my opinion)

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
This is stunning and the perfect size for me. Maybe I will be able to swing one on the second-hand market some day. . .

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is stunning and the perfect size for me. Maybe I will be able to swing one on the second-hand market some day. . .
I have 6.5" wrists - wearing a 36mm Datejust right now and it doesn't look stupid on me :)

55mm lug-to-lug would mean it extends beyond my wrists about 4-5mm on each side. I'm sure this is intentional with this kind of lug design, but I'd have to try one on before I buy one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts