WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

As the title says, i'm in the fortunate, yet very frustrating place of trying to decide between two watches. The IWC Aquatimer 2000, or the new Omega Planet Ocean. Both are roughly the same price (i'm UK based at around £3,500ish) so isn't down to cost... purely the look, build quality, timeless factor and reliability.

To set the scene, I used to have the first PO 45.5mm a few years ago when it came out. Had it for about 18months, then sold it when my wife lost her job etc etc etc. I missed it dearly and needed another watch and so bought an Oris small seconds 47mm with orange accents. I bought this as a 'cheaper' replacement and I do really like it, but it has never never given me the same pride of ownership I had with the Omega. I can't put my finger on it, but I don't particularly feel anything towards it, whereas I thought I had the Omega for life!

So, long and short of it... I want to sell my Oris and buy something which will give me that pride of ownership feeling back!

I went to try on both of the above watches at the weekend and like both and I am just totally stuck which way to go! Before anyone says 'buy both'... I will not be buying both. I want one watch, that goes with everything, that is sporty yet classy enough to look smart on occasions.

Does anyone on here have both and can they compare? Do I go with Omega again as they are a known quantity? They now have an in-house movement with 4 year warranty and a 10 year service interval, or do I go with an IWC that I have always thought was a step above Omega and less likely to feel the need to change??

My concerns are... I buy the omega (the new one does look awesome) but then see it everywhere in every jewellers and risk feeling it isn't 'exclusive' or 'high end', or do I get the IWC and then feel i've bought a 'cheap' IWC that has an ETA movement and i've just paid for the name!?? I also wonder whether the yellow on the dial of the IWC will date it over the next 5 years or so, or is that being picky!? Arrrrgggghhhh help me... i'm going insane! :)

Anyway, over to you guys for help!!

Arty

p.s I will post this into the IWC forum for balanced opinions

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you give me any reasons why? What did you find that made the decision an easy one? I just need help in pointing out the pro's and con's.

Thanks

Arty

·
Premium Member
7,166 Posts
Can you give me any reasons why? What did you find that made the decision an easy one? I just need help in pointing out the pro's and con's.

Thanks

Arty
The only thing "special" about that AT 2000, IMO, is the sapphire bezel insert. Even then, I'd prefer a ceramic bezel insert. The movement alone in the new PO makes it a far more interesting piece. I also think the dial design is boring on the AT 2000. Looks very plasticky to me. I dislike the proprietary lug system, as I like being able to use all kinds of different straps, bracelets, etc. on my watches. The lume scheme used to be kind of unique (and it still looks good), but the new POs do it better, IMO. Also, in my eyes, diver's watches are not what IWC is known for; this also happens to be one area where Omega has always been innovative and a leader in the industry. When I think of IWC, I think "Portuguese," or "Pilot," or maybe even "Ingenieur." When I think of Omega, it's definitely "Speedmaster" and "Seamaster."

EDIT: A few more things that may, or may not, matter to you (but they're important to me):

• I love the 42 mm sizing for the PO. I think it's the best size for diver's watches, period.
• I love the 20 mm lug width of the PO. Many people prefer an even wider strap/bracelet. I don't. IMO, 20 mm = perfection.
• The PO is the latest and greatest; the AT 2000 is an old design now. May or may not matter to you. (BTW, if you must go IWC, just go LNIB for $2,800-3,400 on rubber.)
• If you're going to go for color, orange is a better technical color for diving, apparently. Looks better, too, IMO.
• Strap choices are far better with Omega. They really spend the effort to design some excellent straps/bracelets.
• As you've mentioned, better warranty, etc.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
For an all-round daily watch, PO. I'm a huge IWC fan but I would still stick with my PO over an IWC-AT. The PO can be dressed up nicer. Although I would love an AT in my collection, I like IWC's Pilots, Portofino & Portuguese more.

If you said PO vs a Pilots, Portofino or Portuguese... I'd have to think hard.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
PO for sure. I chose my gen 1 PO over the AT. The new PO is amazing....if I didn't have the old one already I'd get it

I also like IWC but it would only be for mark XVI or Ingenieur

Good luck

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Reactions: ssalb

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
This isn't even as close as people think. Even if you're in love with the name IWC, the PO is, as Dixan noted,a far more interesting watch with the 8500 movement.

That, coupled with the fact that the PO simply looks sharper, classier and more handsome by far IMO...makes it a no-brainer. And FWIW, I'd choose the old PO over the IWC as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I really didn't expect the IWC to get such a beating!! :)

I do like the fact that the 8500 is an in-house, but is it finished with the same attention as an IWC? Is the case as well made, what's the durability of the bezel mechanism? etc etc etc

I think to be honest, what it will come down to is less about the look and more how it makes me feel. Otherwise i'll go insane!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
While I'm a huge IWC fan and I'm definitely (if finances allow it) going to own at least one in the future, but for some reason the Aquatimer just do it for me. The old and new PO are stunning as far as I'm concerned, so I'd say go for the PO!

Hi Guys,
My concerns are... I buy the omega (the new one does look awesome) but then see it everywhere in every jewellers and risk feeling it isn't 'exclusive' or 'high end', or do I get the IWC and then feel i've bought a 'cheap' IWC that has an ETA movement and i've just paid for the name!?? I also wonder whether the yellow on the dial of the IWC will date it over the next 5 years or so, or is that being picky!? Arrrrgggghhhh help me... i'm going insane! :)
I hardly think you have to worry about that. While IWC generally is further up-market than Omega, think about this: how many people in the UK can actually afford a £3500 watch? Definitely not a lot. Just count a 100 people on a street/train station, if 5 wear a £3000 watch that's a lot...

Because high end products look stunning, people focus on them and think 'everyone' has them, while that's definitely not the case.
Just look at cars: in The Netherlands a lot of people complain that 'nowadays everyone drives an Audi', but if you actually start counting the amount of Audis on the road, it's very small. Less 'present' cars (usually cheaper) simply get ignored/overseen, so people get an (incorrect) perception. I reckon the same thing happens to watches, so in other words: don't worry about it :).

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I bought both the 2500 cal PO and the AT within a few days of each other back in April.

It's pretty close between these two but eventually I found the dial of the IWC a bit boring, although the bezel and lume was stunning. I eventually sold both and I now have the PO8500 on order. Comparing that PO with the IWC and it's not even close, as others had pointed out. Someday when IWC makes an Aquatimer with an in-house movement it will be a contest again, but right now Omega is on a different level.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Interesting thing about IWC is that it caters to 2 different luxury market segments: an entry level with their ETA-based offerings (Aquatimer, Mark XVI, Classic Pilot Chrono, some Portofino models), and high-end with their highly complicated watches featuring manufacture calibers. I think Omega is positioning itself in between these segments with its new manufacture calibers.
Both Omega and IWC are luxury brands selling mass-produced watches. There is absolutely nothing exclusive in IWC watches unless you are paying tens of thousands for their complicated offerings. Omega has a lot more recognizable name, thus it sells a lot more watches. If IWC could sell a million watches a year, they would gladly do so.

While I prefer PO to Aquatimer, it all comes down to what you like better on your wrist. Don't worry about what other people think. Buy what makes you happier. Both are excellent watches.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Just get what you like and what speaks to you more when it's on your wrist. I like the PO and the Aquatimer and own both; I like the Aquatimer so much that I purchased both the white and black/yellow variant. The latest 8500 PO is not a relevant comparison as the Aquatimer is now going on three years and with the in-house movement, the 8500 PO is anywhere from $2000-$5000 more than the current Aquatimer depending on which PO variant is chosen (assuming you're not looking into the in-house Vintage Collection Aquatimer, the Deep Two, the limited editions, or the rose-gold models). However, between the 2500 PO and the current Aquatimer, I'd take the Aquatimer.

While I'm no die-hard of any particular brand as evidenced by my collection, in general, IWC is one of the brands I like quite a bit.

From experience reading these types of threads, they usually don't go anywhere and gets reduced to a bunch of mud-slinging from loyalists to each brand which is why you should base your decision on whichever watch appeals to you more as that ultimately is the most important criteria to satisfy.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
IIf IWC could sell a million watches a year, they would gladly do so.
They are a long way of that - they sold 79822 in 2009.
They just need to get their name out there more, and then their away.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks very much for all the opinions so far chaps! Very much appreciated!

I must say, I did expect more opinions in favour of the IWC (especially on the IWC forum), but so far, nobody has plumped for the Aquatimer over the PO!! Very surprised!

I was trying to think of it in a car analogy and I imagined IWC to be like Mercedes Benz, with the Omega being more like a BMW. The Mercedes being historically the higher grade car with fantastic build and refinement, the BMW still has great build, but is the more young and sporty of the two.

I think deep down, my heart says get an IWC as it's a bit different to the 'norm', but my head is saying the Omega is bang up to date, chunkier and has an in-house movement!! Hugely convincing towards the Omega... I just have that nagging itch for an IWC for some crazy and totally unknown reason!

Out of interest, does anyone know if IWC expect to bring out a new model any time soon??

Arty

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Out of interest, does anyone know if IWC expect to bring out a new model any time soon??

Arty
IWC debuts its new models in January at SIHH so the only way to know for certain is to wait and see what is unveiled at the 2012 SIHH. The IWC Pilot lineup will be revamped for sure.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think deep down, my heart says get an IWC as it's a bit different to the 'norm', but my head is saying the Omega is bang up to date, chunkier and has an in-house movement!! Hugely convincing towards the Omega... I just have that nagging itch for an IWC for some crazy and totally unknown reason!
To me the Aquatimer actually felt chunkier and taller, likely because the IWC bracelet is thinner than the PO bracelet.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
IWC is one of my favorite brands. Both are great choices though. I own the Aquatimer and the 2500 Cal PO and they are both excellent. No right or wrong answer here. What ever feels and looks better on your wrist is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I understand the urge to have an IWC. It's a great brand with some truly iconic models. I personally really like the Portuguese and would like to have one in my collection if I could justify to pay $13K for an oversized dress watch. It's already hard to justify a $7,400 Portuguese Chrono because of its lack of date and rather common Valjoux 7750. I like some higher end Portofinos, but not enough to buy. I like Pilot Mark XVI, but not on my wrist as it looks too small. I like the Big Pilot, but it looks ridiculously large on my wrist. I like the Pilot Chrono, but IWC worked hard this year on moving it out of what I consider a fair price range for the watch. I might still consider a leather strap model (MSRP $5,100). I looked at Aquatimers, but didn't like the plasticky-looking dial. Also, I already have 2 divers in my collection and don't really need a 3rd.

So it's not easy... :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is easy. The PO 8500. I tried on one the other day, and it's beautiful. There are some IWC watches I like, such as the Mark XVI and the Portuguese Chrono, but I'd much rather have a PO and a Speedy in my collection. As I mentioned, I tried the PO 8500 and wanted to buy it right there. But, you have to follow your heart and go with the one that sings to you the most.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts