WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I was in the market for a PO. I was back and forth between the all black and black and orange. I ultimately decided all black as I felt it would be more versatile. I sold it a while after.

I’ve always loved the signature look of the PO. One of my favorites was the orange numerals. I knew after I had sold it, I would ultimately want one again.

Lately I started looking around again, this time no back and forth, I knew I wanted that orange and black. I reached out to our trusted sponsor and AD Rob at Topper. They showed sold out on the site, he checked and they had one in stock. Gave him my credit card, asked him if he could remove 2 links hoping that should get it to fit well on my 7 1/2 inch wrist, and this morning I got my visit from UPS with my package.

Opened up the box with excitement, slapped it on my wrist, and it was a perfect fit. Ordering 2 half links as my wrist tends to swell more in the summer, and the half links made it work perfect the last time. Wish I kept them. and I’m not a fan of the exposed area when extending the clasp.

The way the light hits this dial and shines off the polished markers and hands gives this watch many different looks at various angles. Even the way the flat look of the rubber orange insert contrasts off the gloss of the ceramic bezel looks amazing. I am really happy I went in this direction. I did not appreciate the all black the way I am this black and orange. The numbers almost look like they are floating above the dial.
The watch has big dimensions, but the way it wears doesn’t feel like the dimensions read. Curves feel so right on these lugs, and the bracelet has the perfect amount of flexibility. It’s chunky, it’s heavy, and solid, but not clumsy at all. If I could change anything, I’d swap out the clasp for the older style. I really wish Omega would take a look at how Rolex does the Glidelock. When I adjust my Sub, it’s just another link that gets exposed. But that’s just nitpicking. I am so happy to have the PO back in my mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
…I really wish Omega would take a look at how Rolex does the Glidelock. When I adjust my Sub, it’s just another link that gets exposed. But that’s just nitpicking. I am so happy to have the PO back in my mix.
Looks fantastic! I miss my PO8900… partially regretting letting it go a few years back. It has such great wrist presence.

I’m a huge proponent of Omega’s adjustable clasp and have swapped it onto all of my omegas. However after experiencing the glidelock I am in the same boat as you - I wish the design was that regardless of whether it’s expanded or shrunk all the way, it’s just exposing or hiding bracelet links.

My uneducated guess for the rationale for this - since the flip out divers extension lives in that piece, it’s likely the most cost effective design to accommodate manufacturing of all 3 lengths of the clasp (3 position and 6 position with and without the diver ext).

That said, I would have also loved for the clasp to match the bracelet widths - on the SMP bracelet the clasp is flush width with the links since there’s no taper, but on the PO the taper means the clasp ends up being wider than the links.

All comes down to individual preference of course - the watch is gorgeous either way! :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Excellent choice. I totally get the orange/black attraction. In 2020 it was time for a PO on my 6.5" wrist. After months or deliberations with self, the verdict was a PO GMT 8605 (previous generation), with orange numerals on black background. Very similar to yours. 2nd choice would been the original 2005 edition with full orange bezel and 2500 movement.
Watch Analog watch Everyday carry Clock Watch accessory

·
Registered
99 Posts
Congrats! The very same model was my first Omega. I love the black ceramic and not just it’s contrast to the orange, but also the way it “shifts” hue based on lighting (from almost a dark chrome gray all the way to pitch black).

Lovely timepiece that can also take quite a beating!

Enjoy in good health.

·
Premium Member
15,623 Posts
Congrats!

I chose the all black a little over four years ago and it’s by far my most worn watch. I don’t notice the extension but I do appreciate the ability to adjust the bracelet without removing the watch from my wrist.

LOoOser in the brotherhood

·
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats. That is a great looking watch. I love your pics where the orange numerals seem to float above the dial. It fits your wrist very well. What are the dimensions?
Thank you!

This is the 43.5mm version.
43.5mm width
49mm height
16.5mm thick
20mm lugs
7.5 ounces.

Thank you everyone, a day on the wrist and I have found it to be so comfortable.

I’ll echo what others have said. The orange is just enough. I don’t mind an orange dial mind you, but this is the perfect touch, it doesn’t scream, it just talks. What I love about it is the many characteristics to the finish that reflect so well in different lighting environments. The gloss black on the dial and bezel transforms its look and color every time I look at it. Yet it remains perfectly legible.

I love iterations as Omega has updated the PO over the years while keeping the overall look distinct to the uniqueness of the Planet Ocean.

·
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After a weekend with it, accuracy of just +2 seconds after 3 days. Been enjoying this watch so much, I am so happy with this purchase. It’s a chunky beast that I hadn’t intended to purchase. I typically like to have some touch of orange in my collection.

I had been waiting for either a Polar Explorer or a White stick dial Datejust 41 on Jubilee. I wanted a White dial to add contrast to my collection, and these 2 were exactly what I wanted. Both had features I loved and nothing I didn’t. Both are hard to get. My plan was to purchase whichever one I got a call on. Last month, the call came in for the Datejust which I am so happy with. The advantage on this was that I now have something for dressier occasions that is completely different from the others which are all chunkier and sporty. Sub Date, Panerai Luminor, Panerai Submersible. If I got the Polar Explorer, that would had added the orange I wanted. That’s no longer happening. This fits into my collection perfectly.

So happy to add Omega back in my mix, and couldn’t be happier that this one is it!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Congratulations! OP you have no idea how much I have been holding back from getting that exact same watch. I really love it but I have to justify getting it since I already have the 8900 titanium version and the 8500 orange bezel version. Seeing it on your wrist it’s tempting me again and just might go for it.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Congratulations! I think that's my favorite Planet Ocean and someday I hope to add one to the collection. I agree that this is the better choice over the all-black bezel version; in my opinion, dive watches can handle a splash of color. Also, as a SF Giants fan, I find the orange and black to be a natural fit. Cheers to your new Omega!

·
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congratulations! OP you have no idea how much I have been holding back from getting that exact same watch. I really love it but I have to justify getting it since I already have the 8900 titanium version and the 8500 orange bezel version. Seeing it on your wrist it’s tempting me again and just might go for it.
You definitely won’t regret it. So much to appreciate about the thought that went into every detail of this design.

Nice choice

Thank you.

Congratulations! I think that's my favorite Planet Ocean and someday I hope to add one to the collection. I agree that this is the better choice over the all-black bezel version; in my opinion, dive watches can handle a splash of color. Also, as a SF Giants fan, I find the orange and black to be a natural fit. Cheers to your new Omega!
It’s funny, I’m a Mets fan, and that’s one thing I love about having Orange on a watch. Don’t ask me why, I’m sure baseball has something to do with it, but orange makes me think of summer.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
I love iterations as Omega has updated the PO over the years while keeping the overall look distinct to the uniqueness of the Planet Ocean.

They do a fantastic job don't they?

Somehow they pull it off so that there previous models remain just as desirable as when they were new, and the improvements on the new one a whole new experience. You don't feel like upgrading but adding.

I'm never letting this go

·
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They do a fantastic job don't they?

Somehow they pull it off so that there previous models remain just as desirable as when they were new, and the improvements on the new one a whole new experience. You don't feel like upgrading but adding.

I'm never letting this go
Really well put! Been wearing it a lot, and my happiness with it has grown. 10 days in and gained just 8 seconds. Accuracy of less than + 1 second per day, how can you beat that?

I find the bracelet incredible comfortable, but struggled with the clasp on and off over the last few days. The length, along with my wrist swelling made it feel a little tighter than I like at some points. I even looked into potentially swapping it for the older version. I think it stretched minimally, or I’m getting used to it a lot more, I haven’t dealt with that the last few days. Most people seem to prefer the expanding clasp, I’d personally be okay with it being more flush with the bracelet and a little thinner. But it’s growing on me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts