WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
1,212 Posts
Re: New PRW-3500 -- some quick pics!!

Hey guys, I have been waiting for this one, had it on order, and it was shipped immediately when this new model was released in Japan. I just received it today - here are a few quick pics. ;-)

I have to say, I'm very happy with it. The look and feel of it surpasses my expectations. I was already familiar with what to expect from the module.

I also have a PRG-270, and this one was about 1.5 times more expensive than the 270. And you know what? It shows with this PRW-3500. Primary differences -- 3500 has a metal (and rotating) bezel, better quality buttons, a much better (no doubt stronger) strap attachment system, 200m WR, atomic, and a strap that feels like it is of higher quality. (less of a "plasticky" feel than the strap on the 270) Don't get me wrong, the 270 is GREAT for the money, but IMO this one blows it out of the water - as you might expect for the price difference. I'll add some side-by-side pics at a later date. If I were going on a hard-core outdoor adventure and needed a Protrek to stand up to all kinds of nasty elements and rough duty, I wouldn't even think twice -- would pick the 3500 any day of the week.

Hope you enjoy the pics! :) Sorry for the lousy indoor shots but it's a bit cold outside right now for a photoshoot -- at about 17 deg F! :-d

thanks for pics.i wanted to know if bezel is as shiny as some pictures show.so bezel is not shiny but "mellowed down " color.i like its color.
one weakness prw 3000 had was its strap structure.casio should use this strap ( used in 3500) in every protrek.its the most tough and comfortable strap plus fits on many of protreks.
but size of prw 3500 is bit larger .i wish they had given same looks in prw 3000 or prg 270 size.
anyway good looking piece.prices will not come down though for few months atleast.its titanium strap version is coming out next month than may be resin strap one prices come down a bit.

PRG260 56.3 x 50.6 x 15.6mm / 87g
PRG270 54.6 x 52.4 x 14.4mm / 67g
PRG550 56.8 x 49.3 x 14.2mm / 79.6g
PRW3000 56.0 x 47.0 x 12.3mm / 62g
GW9400 55.2 × 53.5 × 18.2 mm / 93g

PRW3500 56.9 x 53.4 x 14.5mm / 89g
gwn 1000. 44.9 × 55.8 × 16.2 mm

· Registered
1,212 Posts

No problem. I'm not sure the bezel tone comes through really well in my pics since the lighting wasn't great. The bezel is only shiny on the parts where the "N," "S," "E," and "W" are. The rest of the bezel is more of a matte finish. Outdoor pics, when I can take them, should show the bezel color a little better.

Curious why you say the prw 3000 has a weak strap structure? You don't mean where the strap attaches to the case, do you? Cause it looks real similar to the 3500's method of attachment.
not weak per se.i ment compared to prg/prw 550/250/260/3500 strap....prw 3000 strap is also thinner/narrower and softer and that atleast gives feel of being less strong.dont know how it behave over time though

· Registered
1,212 Posts

The PRG550's 100m WR, both the PRG260 and PRW3500 are 200m WR. I guess it adds more weight to make the case with higher water pressure resistance. On top of that, the PRG260 also uses the bulkier V2 sensors, that's why it's the heaviest.

Oh wait... the PRW3500 is 2g heavier than the PRG260, now I am stunned...
v2 sensor does not necessirily mean heavier watch.prw 3000 and prg 240 were one of lightest protreks i ever used.they were almost equal in weight to prw 3000/prg 270

· Registered
1,212 Posts

Time for some new pics!! Rocat, hopefully these are what you need to help you make a decision.

I included some comparison pics with the 270, 3000, and a Ranger!! :-!

Now the 3500 and 270:

Now the 3500 and the 3000:

Finally the 3500 and the Ranger:

awesome pictures.will really help us in deciding.
the size of 3500 is large.it even seems bit larger than rangeman!i wish casio had made prw 3500 the same size as 3000.because there are many large sized g shocks and protreks but for women and men with smaller wrists options are few.

anyway 3500 is very well made watch its clear from pictures and reviews.
i was about to pull the trigger on gulfmaster all black model.gwn 1000c.
but now i am in doubt.
gulfmaster has killer looks and is an ana digi watch (i wanted ana digi as i have a lot of digital watches).only thing that makes me worried now is that gulfmaster is not so popular if we see g shock forum and etc.either it was sold less due to high price (or whatever)or something.. but due to its unique strap structure if in future its production is stopped than we may not find a new strap for this watch .so it means almost 400 /500 dollars gone to waste.but if i get 3500 than any strap can fit on it,even non casio ones.

what you people suggest.how long will gulfmaster strap last with heavy use like mountain climbing etc in your opinion?once bitten twice shy!in past i could never find strap of some models of my casios when i needed them the most...and gulfmaster,s strap is such that no other strap can fit this watch!so i am in a limbo....wish all casio protrek/gshock straps were interchangeable!

· Registered
1,212 Posts

yes.rangeman wears smaller than 3500 because of bezel placement and structure.also 3500 is more round and this makes it seem larger..but depth wise 3500 is clearly flatter.

as for gulfmaster.its looks tempt me ,otherwise I usually prefer protreks

· Registered
1,212 Posts

lets see if 3500 is released in more color schemes.and cloth leather strap as well.but I will wait a bit before ultimately getting one may be.
when is the baselworld?any idea?

· Registered
1,212 Posts

What do you guys think...
will this replace the 3000? Or will it coexist for years to come?
Rotating bezel, for what purpose? Is there something on the screen to show a measurement, like a compass arrow?
years to come?

nope...casio brings more abc models than any other company.so in year or two we may not remember 3000/3500 as much..
but casio did break its monotony when they launched prw3000.it was first compact size protrek that can easily pass as every day watch...this was surprise because watch makers want us to buy more than one watch...like u buy edifice for dress,protrek for hike,and g shock for rough sports!
so thank you casio for prw 3000!because whenever i wore dress watch in past i would feel uncomfortable when i needed sensor info outside!with prw 3000t etc i can use this watch in every occasion without looking out of place.not tht i care that what other people think.but a compact watch has its benefits in certain occasions.

as for 3500 it reminds me of prg 260 every time i see it....prg 260 is still one of my fav watches....even its strap (which some say is uncomfortable ) is very tough and wear tear/scratch resistant.
so unless i sell 260 i may not get 3500.may be wait for what casio launches this year, later?
i have eyes on gulfmaster as well.

baselworld is coming and casio usually launches something new there.what will be new this year?
would casio enter gps/abc combo watches race?
garmin fenix/suunto ambit are becoming very popular.so will casio enter the race?or has casio something else in its sleeves

· Registered
1,212 Posts

open error comes when watch,s tiny spring loses connection with a small metal plate on backplate of watch.search this forum.you will find solution for this.its easy.i repaired my prg 90 myself by opening the watch and aligning the spring.this metal plate you can stick in right position with glue .."open " message will disappear.no need to take it to watch maker who may charge you needlessly...
I happens in watches after years of use in hot climate etc which somehow displaces the thin metal plate so it loses contact with tiny spring in module that is required

check below thread to know more

https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/my-riseman-already-dying-fixed-see-pics-thread-730665.html

· Registered
1,212 Posts

tnx i got it working again :)
pictures are missing in that thread, if someone still has them or could make new ones it could help others
they are not easy to get open ;)

damn, now i don't have an excuse anymore to get a new one ;p
let me give you an excuse....end of world is nigh.so you need an extra solar abc to navigate :)

get a new one and use 80 as a beater watch.80 was one of the toughest watches I ever had.

· Registered
1,212 Posts

So we have a winter storm approaching, and I enabled the Baro Pressure Change Indicator. Awhile later, all of a sudden an audible alarm went off from my 3500, there were flashing dots around the dial, and the "down arrow" (visible in the pic) showed up in the baro display. That's pretty cool! The baro alarm really works. The storm was about 6-8 hours from hitting when it went off. Will post another pic after we get snow.. ;-)

cool.
so how much baro pressure drop in what time period activates the alarm?any idea?

· Registered
1,212 Posts

and as for light staying on.prsonally i use light to see time.for detailed look I use my handy torch at night time .so personally it does not effect me if watch has light enabled or not in compass mode and other modes etc

· Registered
1,212 Posts

I think the PRW3000 will outlast the 3500. The 3500 is just another bulky, do-it-all model. The one that replaces it will be some big behemoth that has all those same features, and adds moon and tide. Then, Version 4 sensor.

hiker, I guess it depends against which watch you compare, but to me, the PRW3000 is not a compact watch; just compact next to other ABCs and big G-Shocks.
true.prw 3000 is not that compact if you compare functionality with ambit ,fenix or tactix which have much more functions but still relatively compact,,but among protreks 3000 is and will remain most compact model I guess.recent trend of even lager watches shows that....see the size of gulfmaster.and the fact that rangeman with ver 3 sensors is larger than riseman .and see the size of g shock gps watch!how big it is though casio could easily have reduced its size by 30 to 40 percent .

· Registered
1,212 Posts

but instead of comparing functionality, which is a diff level.
just comparing sizes, arent the armbit, fenix and tactix still bigger than a prw3000?
if I am not wrong I think ambit diameter is 50 mm.smaller than 3500?notsure though.

and what I meant from above was that protreks can be made much more compact now,specially with version 3 sensor but casio people i guess want (most) people to use protreks only as outdoor tool and buy more dressy watches as well.though some people (like us.lol) dont mind wearing these watches in daily life no matter even if they look bit larger and geeky etc

· Registered
1,212 Posts
true.

but I think prw 3500 wont be going below 200$ atleast this year..maybe cause casio is releasing prg 300 as low cost protrek model....
i was also thinking.will there be also a prg 350 later this year? i am also thinking of possibility that prg 600 may be released as cheaper version ana digi protrek may be?or not?

release of prg 300 was not expected! specially after prg 270! so anything can happen.

· Registered
1,212 Posts
I said earlier:

I was wrong. The PRG-280 is 200M WR. Looked at it a dozen times, didn't realize that until now. I even uploaded its picture in a recent thread, https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/comparison-pics-request-prg280d-1661154.html#post13757442 And... still missed the "WR20BAR" text written blatantly on its face. Talk about missing the obvious... :-d
prg 250/pg 280/prg 260 are all 200 meter water resist.prw /prg range only differs in atomic timekeeping.nothing else.
except in prw 5000/prg 500 prw 5100/prg 510 etc where prg lacks tough movement as well

· Registered
1,212 Posts
No need to bang your head . You bought a great, new watch for a good price at the time. Who knows, it will probably be the same price you paid in Japan Stateside when it arrives.

I know when I bought my DW-D5500 last year, the price was within a few dollars in both markets. But I bought from Japan anyway since I was picking up the DW-D5600P-1 that was a Japan only release.
I think casio is trying hard to promote its watches in usa.so prices in usa are now even lower than in asia etc.a decade ago Asian etc prices of casio were much lower than usa prices ,atleast in my experince.

but i dont see prw 3500 prices going to 175 dollars soon.because if they do that than who will buy prg 270 and coming model prg 300 whose main selling point is lower price.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.