WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 518 Posts

· Registered
1,786 Posts
Re: New PRW-3500 -- some quick pics!!

It's ok, but the digits (main time) are definitely bigger than most Protrek/Pathfinder watches I've had. The display is crisp with the way the watch is designed. Casio did a good job with this model. Watch, they'll come out with some new Protrek at Baselworld...lol

· Registered
2,406 Posts

Nice pickup and the SS bezel is probably the single highlight of the watch itself. Debating between the newer PRW3000 (with SS bezel) or this (orange/black model).

ONLY thing is I don't like how Casio removed the day/date/month feature found in the older Protreks. Now you only get day/date or day/month. Weird how even the newer models refuse to be that 'perfect' ABC watch. The pricing is also on the higher end considering for $500, the Fenix 3 pretty much makes almost all ABC/digital watches obsolete (the resolution alone kills every digital watch out there).

· Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Nice pickup and the SS bezel is probably the single highlight of the watch itself. Debating between the newer PRW3000 (with SS bezel) or this (orange/black model).

ONLY thing is I don't like how Casio removed the day/date/month feature found in the older Protreks. Now you only get day/date or day/month. Weird how even the newer models refuse to be that 'perfect' ABC watch. The pricing is also on the higher end considering for $500, the Fenix 3 pretty much makes almost all ABC/digital watches obsolete (the resolution alone kills every digital watch out there).
Thanks. I agree, the SS bezel really gives this Protrek a special look. Definitely gives it a certain style. I haven't seen the newer PRW-3000 you mention, but if it's the same size as all other PRW-3000s, then that is probably going to help you decide, as the 3000 is significantly smaller than the 3500 as you probably know.

I don't like the changed day/date option on the newer Protreks either as much as the old. But it doesn't bother me enough to stop me from getting the watch!

Re. your point about the Fenix 3, that might be true for some people. But I think that's like comparing apples and oranges. One is a smart watch and one isn't. The Fenix 3 will have to be constantly recharged. The Protrek - not. (plugged in, of course) And while I don't own a smart watch like the Fenix, I have to think that it probably would not be as tough or durable as the Protrek. And plus, you can get a 3500 for nearly half of what the Fenix 3 costs. In any case, I can tell you there is no danger of me abandoning my ABC Protreks or G's for a smart watch. Owners of a Fenix or similar watch might laugh at my watch choice or look down their nose at me, but I couldn't care less. ;-)

· Registered
34 Posts
I think the Fenix is actually not comparable to a Protrek or a G. I considered Fenix a wrist device with full gear functions which include timing. A Protrek is a watch with certain features. It is a completely different segment. In terms of reliability, eveyone has his own definition. Functions can be a concern, accuracy can be a concern, toughness can also be a concern as well as battery. It simply depends on the concerns. Don't get me wrong. Fenix is definitely a great device for outdoor but it is just a lot more than a digital ABC watch which Protrek cannot fullfil. Protrek or G is just a watch with certain features in incredible toughness. You never need to worry about breaking it or you don't even need to think about the battery. They are both very good watches... just different.

· Registered
1,786 Posts

The solar capability of the new Protrek watches are enough for me to never get a Fenix or Ambit. That's most important to me. I don't want to be camping and worrying about charging watches, etc.

· Premium Member
15,774 Posts

The elephant in the room is yes, the module is exactly the same. Same can be said for the cheaper (just as durable) PRG-270. But it is more. Bigger, stouter case with 20bar WR, better "tool" presence than a PRW-3000, which I consider a dress watch.

...so it's a PRW-3000 with a compass bezel.

· Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

The elephant in the room is yes, the module is exactly the same. Same can be said for the cheaper (just as durable) PRG-270. But it is more. Bigger, stouter case with 20bar WR, better "tool" presence than a PRW-3000, which I consider a dress watch.
Well said!! The 3500 is BIGGER, BADDER, and AWESOME-ER!! :-d (not to mention that for most of the 3000 models, we're talking an aluminum bezel vs. SS)

Since the modules are the same, I guess it really comes down to what your personal preferences are and what you value most in a watch. I like them bigger and with a certain style that the 3500 has.

Reactions: pegase747

· Registered
2,687 Posts

i just cant help to think casio tried to cram everything into one, and that shows in the bezel too with both letter designations and degrees.
and especially combined with the dial of the prw3000, it starts to look very messy...like a whole 5 lines of text before reaching the lcd.

· Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Time for some new pics!! Rocat, hopefully these are what you need to help you make a decision.

I included some comparison pics with the 270, 3000, and a Ranger!! :-!

Now the 3500 and 270:

Now the 3500 and the 3000:

Finally the 3500 and the Ranger:

· Premium Member
15,774 Posts

Thanks for the extra pictures. :-! Now all I need to do is explain to the wife why, after just receiving a watch yesterday, I need to order another one....from Japan. :-d

Time for some new pics!! Rocat, hopefully these are what you need to help you make a decision.

I included some comparison pics with the 270, 3000, and a Ranger!! :-!

Now the 3500 and 270:

Finally the 3500 and the Ranger:

· Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

its bigger than the prg270?
My informal measurements:

3500 -- 54 x 53 x 14mm (lug-to-lug x width x depth)

270 -- 53 x 52 x 13mm

3000 -- 54 x 47 x 12mm

· Registered
1,786 Posts

I just noticed yours was made on the 13th day of 2015, pretty cool.
You know, everyone has always assumed that the watches were made then based on that code but did anyone ever consider that it was just the back that was produced then...lol...ok back to your regularly scheduled program

· Registered
4,955 Posts

The size of the digits on the 3500 are the biggest I've seen in a Protrek in the past few years.
I think both the PRW3000 and PRW3500 are the same in digits size. Just that they use different graphics for the two lines above and below the digits. (see Time4Playnow's pic below). They're exactly the same module anyway.

21 - 40 of 518 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.