WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this is the one that I have been waiting on to see and post pics. I bought this one off Ebay directly from a Gentleman in Switzerland. It truly is NOS!! There was a buy-it-now and I clicked it as soon as I saw it. It was early in the morning, and almost nobody had visited the Auction. I feel fairly certain that nobody here had seen it or they would have bought it. I truly felt a little like Popeye getting that re-issue Divingstar.

Please tell me what you think............

·
Registered
439 Posts
Jason, Congrats! That's a great find. I'm really digging the size of that sub compared to the 750T. It's an in between size... bigger than a nymph and smaller than the 750T. To me, an ideal size. Enjoy it!:-!

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
I like it...very nice score!!! I guess the old saying about the early-bird getting the worm, is true. Congrats!:-!

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.......................So are the vintages looking better than the moderns?
DW
For me, I am starting to be interested in the Historically significant and rare Doxas.........

So, I guess that I really am interested in the vintages. Well, and I guess I want Alas' Whiteshark.;-)

Couple more things about the watch.

It is Automatic. Screw in crown. It is an ETA self-winding movement.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Congrats !!! What a great looking watch. I love the multi color bezel. It's interesting how small it is compared to the 750T.

Wow you better update your will again becuase your kids will be fighting over that great collection.

Chris

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
Wow that is like straight out of a time capsule! Hadn't realized it was so "small" (not that there's anything wrong with that ;-) ), but what a beauty!

So, are you over 20 yet? b-)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Jason,

that trully is awesome. What a find. Well done. Health to enjoy it.

As we keep saying. Just as you think you have seen it all, out pops another rare and obscure Doxa.:-!

Pete

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nice find. It sure pays off to research and continuously scan sites for watches that are newly posted. It's a lot of work. Congrats.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
That may be the best looking DOXA I have ever seen. The bezel really sets it off. Congratulations.

paul

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi jason
That is very nice indeed. I'm sure I've seen something similar but think it was on an aquadive or similar. Everything about it seems right and its got the best bracelet on the market - the xpandro. I've got one on my US Divers Aqua Lung. Take the watch is early 70's and I must admit I was surprised it was not a quartz for back then.

Oh and regarding my Whiteshark - not yet:rodekaart - maybe next year.

Fantastic find.:-!:-!:-!

Alasdair

·
Registered
361 Posts
OK this is the one that I have been waiting on to see and post pics. I bought this one off Ebay directly from a Gentleman in Switzerland. It truly is NOS!! There was a buy-it-now and I clicked it as soon as I saw it. It was early in the morning, and almost nobody had visited the Auction. I feel fairly certain that nobody here had seen it or they would have bought it. I truly felt a little like Popeye getting that re-issue Divingstar.

Please tell me what you think............

Jason first of all congrats for the score of that watch.
This is really a great catch and the watch is a Beauty.

But and I hate to say that I don´t believe it is another Version of the SUB 300T.
It looks to me as an SUB 250T with an 300t Synchron Dial.

Please don´t get me wrong by using the words franken & leftover but some things of this watch don´t fit and maybe Doc Pete will also recognize it when I point out the differences.

This watch case, the bezel, the hands and I guess the movement (havent seen it yet) where definetly used on the SUB 250T which was produced as an automatic and with different electronic movement as a quartz marked version during the Aubry times.
The proof for the Aubry production is the cross on the caseback and the Doxa Script on the clasp which only was used during the Aubry days.
The crown can be marked with the same cross used on the caseback but it´s not a must as I´ve seen Aubry watches with and without the cross on the crown.
Maybe they used these at the end of the production when numbers where lower without marking to keep costs down, but that´s just a speculation.

Your watch seems to be a kind of a "Franken" or "Leftover" watch, again don´t want to tease you.

As it loooks like NOS and from my point of view must be NOS the question is how can be a Synchron Dial in an Aubry Period watch.

Possibilities:

1.) The watch started live as a SUB 250T and was redialed, but why would someone redial a NOS watch with an earlier Synchron Dial. Doesn´t makes really sense, guess we can forget about point 1.

2.) The watch started live as a SUB 300T Synchrone was flodded and was recased with a complete Aubry SUB 250T case with Movement and Hands, because that was availlable. What stays against this theory is that the Dial is also NOS. And why would someone replace the case on a flodded watch. Next point we can forget about.

3.) Some Doxa Service or Jewellery store of that time built that watch out of spare parts they had lying around and created an all in all superb watch where only the Dial doesn´t match.
First point that sounds possible for me and would make sense.

4.) Aubry Factory themselves produced this watch during the last day and used whatever parts where at hand. Also a possibility we all know the NOS T-Graph with late Aubry Bracelet in the late Aubry Boxa and I know of another T-Graph which was originally delivered in an early Style Aubry Box.
Another possibility that would make sense, also a legit explanation for me.

For some more informations of different models of this watch see page 48-53 in the Review Copy of Pete´s Doxa Book.

Below you can find some more examples of the rare AUBRY SUB 250T watches.

I own exactly the same one as the Pro auto below but in a much more beatup shape.

A NOS SUB250T found by a Swiss Doxa Collector:

DOXA SUB250T Quartz Searambler

Well maybe we will never really know, what we can count on for sure is that the Dial fits nicely into that watch even if it is not historically correct.

What makes the Doxa collecting hobby, so interesting are all these strange versions popping up for sale from time to time.

Enjoy that piece of Doxa history

Regardy Bernie

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Bernie,
Thank you for the information. Actually Pete and I had already discussed the possibility of it being Franken. I strongly believe that it is not because of a couple things. First, it is the size. This watch is only 38mm, much smaller than my other Synchron 300T seen in my Avatar. It is much smaller than any other 300T that I have seen. To just swap out a 300T dial would be out of the question. Second, It is the condition. I was concerned about it being possibly franken until I laid eyes on it. All the pieces fit together and have aged the same. I guess it might possibly be a redial, but it would have had to be redialed when it was new. Why redial a brand-new watch that was never worn? I guess anything is possible, but this would be very unlikely.

My guess is that it is a transition watch between the Synchron and Aubry period. I definitely think it came from the factory exactly as I have received it.

If it were closer to the Synchron 300Ts with the no Deco bezel's size, I might agree that it would have a stronger possibility of being Franken.

I definitely agree with you, it is different. I am not sure why it is a 300T with a Sychron logo on it, when it is obviously in an Aubry case. There is no doubt in my mind that it came from the factory that way though............

·
Registered
361 Posts
As you said all is possible, guess we will never really know until they recover the old production books.

As you mentioned the lume looks similary aged what makes it possible to be a factory setup.

Can you check for my records if the crown is a screw down type and if it is signed ?
I belive it should be Non Screw Down and in this case unsigned.

Will take some pics of my beatup SUB 250T and post them for comparisson.

Thanks and enjoy that rare Beauty

Regards Bernie:-!

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is screw-down type crown, but it is unsigned.

I think Doxa sent out all different types of anomalies during the early years, and we are just starting to see some of them surface. As the Doxas gain more value, this will make it more and more difficult to spot a Franken, or even worse, a FAKE

·
Registered
361 Posts
It is screw-down type crown, but it is unsigned.

I think Doxa sent out all different types of anomalies during the early years, and we are just starting to see some of them surface. As the Doxas gain more value, this will make it more and more difficult to spot a Franken, or even worse, a FAKE
Jason that´s right and not to forget in the late 70´s and early to late 80´s production numbers where low due to the drying up demand for automatic watches and the more and more Japanese watches on the market, so I guess DOXA sometimes used what they had at hand to create a "new" Model or slightly "improved" Version.

That´s why I am always interested in the details of each of these "TRANSITIONALFRANKENLEFTOVERWEUSEWHATWEHAVE ATHAND" Doxas, to record the differences and make it a bit easier to spot if it is something possibly legit and not a Franken watch put together by some watchmaker artist.:-d

Regards Bernie

1 - 20 of 51 Posts