WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think these have been mentioned yet; I searched on the model number and nothing showed, other than the comment I'd made earlier in the 0100 thread.

AQ4040 series. 3 models, titanium, standard dial rather than paper dial. 2 regular edition on bracelet, one eagle-stamped 5 SPY LE on strap, linked here:

https://citizen.jp/product/the-citizen/lineup/detail/index.html?seihin_no=AQ4040-06A

Nice size, too, altho I suspect the lug width is gonna be the slightly awkward 19. Well that's why I bookmark strap sites too. :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Nice watch. Compared to the washi paper models, the elimination of the crown guards gives a more formal look. The upper picture shows a polished rehaut that's missing on the second pic. If that's how the watch is really made, it also adds to the formal look.
The minute hand is slightly short of reaching the markers but gets closer than most Citizens. The lumed hands are even shorter on the washi paper AQ4020 models - enough to keep me from buying one. Wonder if the A060 movement doesn't have sufficient torque so the hands are shortened to compensate for the added weight of the lume?
In general, short hands seems to be a Citizen design trait.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I don't think these have been mentioned yet; I searched on the model number and nothing showed, other than the comment I'd made earlier in the 0100 thread.

AQ4040 series. 3 models, titanium, standard dial rather than paper dial. 2 regular edition on bracelet, one eagle-stamped 5 SPY LE on strap, linked here:

https://citizen.jp/product/the-citizen/lineup/detail/index.html?seihin_no=AQ4040-06A

Nice size, too, altho I suspect the lug width is gonna be the slightly awkward 19. Well that's why I bookmark strap sites too. :)
19mm is easy, a 23mm lug width is the tricky one. Citizen has 23mm spaced lugs in several of their watches and it's a royal pain to find a strap for them. In my case I had to resort to a custom made strap since the 23mm spacing also required curved spring bars due to the tight case/spring bar spacing (I could not squeeze a 24mm strap in there and not scrape the strap at the case contact point).

One of my Longines automatics uses 19mm and it was very easy to find a great looking replacement at several price points, colors and styles. You won't have a problem finding a 19mm replacement from many reputable vendors unlike a 23mm.

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still seriously wondering what watches will get the eagle stamp moving forward, once the 0100 is released. 5 SPY suddenly loses some luster. Not a lot; it's still bloody awesome, IMO. But it won't be king of the hill any more, which would seem to be the purview to wear the gold eagle.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts

AQ4040 series. 3 models, titanium, standard dial rather than paper dial. 2 regular edition on bracelet, one eagle-stamped 5 SPY LE on strap:
gangrel, Thanks so much for posting this! I didn't know about it. I think I like this even more than the white washi-paper AQ4020 model, for reasons I'll mention below.....

Nice watch. Compared to the washi paper models, the elimination of the crown guards gives a more formal look. The upper picture shows a polished rehaut that's missing on the second pic. If that's how the watch is really made, it also adds to the formal look.
The minute hand is slightly short of reaching the markers but gets closer than most Citizens. The lumed hands are even shorter on the washi paper AQ4020 models - enough to keep me from buying one. Wonder if the A060 movement doesn't have sufficient torque so the hands are shortened to compensate for the added weight of the lume?
Watch19, I couldn't agree more. I began to think about the short-hands issue in 2010, when the classic Rolex Explorer went from a 36mm case to a 39mm case but kept the same shorter hands. Ever since then, I've been on the lookout. I just can't enjoy a watch if the hands are too short. I can't un-see short hands.

On these "The Citizens," I think you may be onto something about the lumed vs. un-lumed hands. The lumed hands are a little wider and shorter. I was talking to the manager of the Citizen Boutique in NYC. He said something in passing about the intended design of these Chronomasters being a dressy watch, and that the designers have the non-lumed hands in mind. The many times I have seen The Citizen displays in Tokyo at Yodobashi and Bic Camera stores over the years, most of the vast majority models are not lumed. (Same for Grand Seiko non-sport models.) I prefer the non-lumed models. And I wish they were a little longer or thicker at the tips.

I had been favoring the Washi-paper AQ4020-03A. But now I think I prefer this new (to me) AQ4040-06 for the sake of legibility. I do see it on some Japanese sales sites. I might ask Seiya about it.....

·
Registered
981 Posts
In general, short hands seems to be a Citizen design trait.
Small correction: The AQ4020 models don't have lume; the AQ4030 models do. Also, the AQ4030 line is slightly bigger (38.4mm v. 37.5mm) than the AQ4020, so that may add to the perception of shorter hands.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
19mm is easy, a 23mm lug width is the tricky one. Citizen has 23mm spaced lugs in several of their watches and it's a royal pain to find a strap for them. In my case I had to resort to a custom made strap since the 23mm spacing also required curved spring bars due to the tight case/spring bar spacing (I could not squeeze a 24mm strap in there and not scrape the strap at the case contact point).

One of my Longines automatics uses 19mm and it was very easy to find a great looking replacement at several price points, colors and styles. You won't have a problem finding a 19mm replacement from many reputable vendors unlike a 23mm.
You can get 23mm straps that are made for Fitbit. I have a black leather one I got for my Citizen Satellite Wave GPS. The buckles are not super nice, but they do fit.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I think the LE is nice but I wonder how many people will kick out the extra 1000$ for the blue titanium model, versus the stainless steel version. The case size is very similar, and obviously the titanium version will be much lighter but strangely enough it is slightly thicker. I think the bracelet and hands on the new models looks much nicer and better than what is on previous models.

Nice to see Citizen popping the A060 movement in new cases, but honestly how about a new HAQ movement with say a chronograph. Maybe a moonphase that is the most accurate quartz one in the world. A HAQ triple date, perpetual calendar, moonphase, chronograph would be something that would bear comparisons with finest watches in the world.

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just looking at the US site right now, but Citizen doesn't do clean full-calendar displays at all, as far as I can see. Most are in the Promaster line...severely busy with subdials and stuff. And moon phase? I don't think there's a single one, unless it's a Campanola. Same with Seiko, IIRC. Direct motor control of a moon phase should make for near-perfect accuracy; you don't necessarily have to find the perfect gearing. There are some nice, pretty clean 2- and 3-register chronographs. Perhaps the problem here is, all of Citizen's HAQs are dress pieces. Perhaps it's a perception thing...the buyer of a sporty watch isn't perceived to be looking for that kind of accuracy, that's the province of the office.

Reactions: dicioccio

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Seems to me that Breitling and Tag have made a living selling expensive sporty quartz watches. Longines has re-entered the game with sporty HAQ watches including that chronograph. Seems easier to market accuracy to wanna be pilots and special forces types, as opposed to being prompt to your power lunch.

As it stands now Citizen has 12 models with A060 movement and 16 with the A010, none of them listed on the US sites. I really don't understand the product placement or marketing stategy of "The Citizen" it seems that they think in Japan they only compete with Seiko/Grand Seiko.

I must say when I work and walk around in Japan I've seen a lot of Tag's and other Swiss pieces have never seen a GS or Chronomaster. They appear to think that the Swiss don't have products that compete with them in their domestic market. In Japan much like everywhere else when folks with means go to dress events I see their mechanical toys on their wrists. I don't understand the dress market strategy, not to say there isn't a market, it just seems the sport watch market is bigger.

What I'm getting at is, why haven't they modified the A060 and placed it in that triple date quartz moon phase chronograph from Campanola? How about the moon phase one?

Better yet couple the A060 with the bluetooth or Fossil technology they are joint venturing with to make something special. You know be able to set your most accurate watch with extreme accuracy, adjust the moonphase taking into account the monthly variation.

Just me but recaseing 5 and 10 year old technology is nice but is not all that interesting. Perhaps their resources are all working on that 1 spy movement. Maybe they don't want to canilbolize thei Frederique Constant quartz business. Got me.

·
Registered
886 Posts
wbird you just say everything and I couldn't agree with you more - In this regard I must admit that, despite the not so good accuracy, Certina with their ETA Precidrive lineup did exactly what you are looking for.

Just my speculation, but I think that Citizen A0x0 and Seiko 9F have been engineered with a very specific task and they cannot do a lot of changes / enhancements but just a few cosmetic ones.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Really nice watch. Compared to the washi paper models, the elimination of the crown guards gives a more formal look. The upper picture shows a polished rehaut that's missing on the second pic. If that's how the watch is really made, it also adds to the formal look.

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't act fast enough. The Citizen AQ4040-06A seems to be sold out at many places now.
Unfortunate, altho perhaps not that surprising. The eagle mark, I suspect. I also kinda wonder how many are being grabbed for resale at a premium.

Reactions: ronalddheld

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Nice watch. Compared to the washi paper models, the elimination of the crown guards gives a more formal look. The upper picture shows a polished rehaut that's missing on the second pic. If that's how the watch is really made, it also adds to the formal look. The minute hand is slightly short of reaching the markers but gets closer than most Citizens. The lumed hands are even shorter on the washi paper AQ4020 models - enough to keep me from buying one. Wonder if the A060 movement doesn't have sufficient torque so the hands are shortened to compensate for the added weight of the lume? In general, short hands seems to be a Citizen design trait.
Really nice watch. Compared to the washi paper models, the elimination of the crown guards gives a more formal look. The upper picture shows a polished rehaut that's missing on the second pic. If that's how the watch is really made, it also adds to the formal look. The minute hand is slightly short of reaching the markers but gets closer than most Citizens. The lumed hands are even shorter on the washi paper AQ4020 models - enough to keep me from buying one. Wonder if the A060 movement doesn't have sufficient torque so the hands are shortened to compensate for the added weight of the lume?
We have a copycat here.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The LE (300pieces i think ?)is a very nice interpetation of it´s father :) A quirky feature is that the black indices have black lume in them, but not the black hands...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts