WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

301 - 320 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Also, when you say Omega AT lines, do you mean the lines on the dial or the lines of the case shape? I have an Omega AT. Beautiful watch but I think the Formex actually resembles more of a Seiko Shogun / Grand Seiko SBGX293 case shape with the angular design. If you mean the pattern on the dial, the Formex pattern looks more similar to the AP Royal Oak than the Omega AT.
What are you smokin bro

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
Congrats to those who have gotten one and love it. Ignore the people ragging on it. Formex knocked this out of the park and I can't wait to get one!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
What are you smokin bro

Haha must’ve been some good stuff that night. Definitely much closer to the aqua terra. Although in some photos the vertical brushing on the formex looks more pronounced than in other photos.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
The indices are far more reminiscent of AP, as are the hour and minute hand, all of which are very close to those of the AP, albeit differently dimensioned (and spaced, in the case of the double bar at12 o'clock). Along with the vertical brushing making the Formex dial look almost tiled at some angles and the horizontal striping being so closely spaced, I think @brianinCA's original stance is completely correct about this.

I don't hold it against Formex, but it would be nice if they had struck out a little more on their own with the dial and hands and brought a little more of the ingenuity displayed in their case and bracelet to bear.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Haha must’ve been some good stuff that night. Definitely much closer to the aqua terra. Although in some photos the vertical brushing on the formex looks more pronounced than in other photos.
Is it possible that you meant the PP Nautilus 5711 instead of the AP?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Received mine a couple of days ago, and I am blown away. This is my first Formex, and second microbrand watch, and this Essence really exceeded my expectations. No matter how many photos/videos you see online, it's hard to really know how a watch might resonate with you until you see it in person for the first time.

Some initial observations -
  • The thing that really surprised me first, were the indices. They are highly, highly polished, and the light will catch at least a few of them at every angle, and it definitely elevates my perception of the piece. I don't really feel that the level of finishing comes through particularly well on any of the videos that I'd seen (possibly because those were pre-production) so this was a very nice surprise when I opened the box.

• The dial is a deep, handsome blue. Not in your face like a Rolex or Tudor (Pelagos) Blue but really subtle, with a brilliant sheen at the right angles. I was really torn between the blue and green, and I don't think you can really go wrong.

• Bracelet is dead-comfortable. Each link fully articulates, and this is my first watch with a hidden clasp, and I'm digging the minimalist feel - particularly when compared to something on the opposite end of the spectrum, like the beast of a clasp on the Submariner. One practical benefit of having these smaller links is that it helped me get the fit just right, and not in that weird middle-ground where you're stuck between too-tight and too-loose. The 4mm extension is probably just a bit larger than I'd like for it to be (2-3mm might be better) but I've got pretty small wrists so they probably swell less than your average persons.

• The case is fantastic. I love everything about it, from the size, to the design, and just how flush/flat it sits on my wrist. My other watches (Sub, Speedmaster) have large booties (the body of the watch that extends below where the bracelet extends out from the case). The Essence is nearly flat, and as a result is my most comfortable watch. Obviously there are other considerations like case diameter and weight, that factor into that, but it's just very well-balanced. The spring-based case flex system is a cool concept, but I personally wear my watch higher up so I don't think I'll really benefit from it. The screws themselves are less obvious to me in-person, and I don't mind them as much as I thought I would in terms of aesthetics.

• Customer service/the purchasing experience was about as good as one could feasibly expect. Pleasant, prompt communication, updates were thorough and timely - I was very happy with the purchase from start to finish. I've had a legitimate nightmare of an experience with another micro-brand which I won't name (rhymes with Kristopher Ward) so it was great to have literally the opposite experience with another microbrand. They make an effort here, and you can certainly tell.
Overall, I think this is a fantastic sporty luxury watch that can fulfill any role that you need it to. Personally, I wanted a comfortable daily wearer sport watch with a date, and this one not only checked all the boxes on paper, but really impressed me in person. I did see the discussion earlier in this thread about pricing, and I would say that I'm comfortable with what I paid and don't feel this was overpriced for what I received.

For reference, I have a 6.25 inch mostly flat wrist -

Video of Wrist Roll

Next to my 114060

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks to Temujen for his thoughtful post. I really like all the design cues of this watch but can’t see myself with that popping green dial and the blue hasn’t stood out. Now I’m thinking again of getting one in blue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been seriously considering this watch as an everyday versatile "beater" that i can wear with a variety of different outfits. I'm just not sure what dial color I should go with. If anyone has the green, can you tell me if it's a little too vibrant for business casual attire? I'd also appreciate if anyone owns the degrade and black dial versions if they care to share pictures. The degrade dial looks interesting but I'm not sure if the date aperture is very legible since it's the only non-black date wheel.
The blue appears to be the most versatile of the four, but I already have a blue dial sports watch (Laureato), and don't know if I should double up on blue SS sports watches. The black would be the most conservative choice, but stock photos make it seem a little too plain for my taste.

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
I have been seriously considering this watch as an everyday versatile "beater" that i can wear with a variety of different outfits. I'm just not sure what dial color I should go with. If anyone has the green, can you tell me if it's a little too vibrant for business casual attire? I'd also appreciate if anyone owns the degrade and black dial versions if they care to share pictures. The degrade dial looks interesting but I'm not sure if the date aperture is very legible since it's the only non-black date wheel.
The blue appears to be the most versatile of the four, but I already have a blue dial sports watch (Laureato), and don't know if I should double up on blue SS sports watches. The black would be the most conservative choice, but stock photos make it seem a little too plain for my taste.
If you go back a couple pages (pg 14) there are some photos from a guy who has a green one. He says its pretty subdued except in certain lighting.

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
There are more pictures of the green on the Formex FB page. Surprisingly, that seems to be a popular one. I cannot carry off one. The one I'm considering is black. And, yes, it's a conservative pick.
The green is the one I'll be getting.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
There are more pictures of the green on the Formex FB page. Surprisingly, that seems to be a popular one. I cannot carry off one. The one I'm considering is black. And, yes, it's a conservative pick.
I agree. I much prefer the green on the REEF. The Essence is a bit too much glam for me as well. I was going to hold off on jumping on the Essence 39 train, but I'm starting to consider the blue one.

·
Registered
560 Posts
After owning the green version for nearly a week, I can honestly say that the dial isn't too vibrant.

Most of the pics shown so far (including mine), have been angled and taken in light conditions chosen deliberately to show the dial popping at it's most vibrant. In the vast majority of conditions, the dial is subdued and changes from almost black to a greyish steel green.

For comparison, I used to own a SARB017 Alpinist and the dial on the Formex is a much more sophisticated animal.

301 - 320 of 338 Posts