WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Nice! The new subs look larger. Are they?
I would consider buying one again if they are using 43/44mm case.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I really like that green one...almost as much as I like the blue white gold sub (which is waaaaay out of my range).

The green ss might be something to shoot for as a present to myself for my 40th...hmmm.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm being perfectly serious. :)

I'm a big dude... and while I am certainly in the minority, I like my watches on the larger side. I just can't do 40mm and I'm not a fan of the DSSD. *shrug*

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
A full on rolex snot? No thanks. What's the preoccupation with green? The Kermit was green enough. Why such tiny hands on the explorer?

You should have a look at the new Tudor Heritage chrono..awesome

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I think I need to see one in person. Definitely not a fan of the green, but I'm not feeling the black / black either for some reason. I'm sure my opinion will change when I see one in the flesh though, the Sub is one of my perenial favorites, and if they didn't make big changes, then I'll still like this new one.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The old Rolex Sub:

Now the new Rolex Sub... Spot the difference...

I found 2, crown guard and engraved text on the inside of the case above the chapter ring. Wow! Rolex is surpassing itself! NOT! :think: 'nuff said, I think...<|

·
Registered
516 Posts
Nice! The new subs look larger. Are they?
You can see that from the picture? Although there is nothing to reference size? To me, it looks so similar to the old one that I completely fail to see what the buzz is about... Even if it were larger, say 42mm (I can't imagine Rolex going larger on anything but the Deep Sea), I wouldn't want it (well, if I did get one as a gift, I wouldn't turn it down, I'd just flip it in a split-second).

But, hey, I don't want to spoil everyone's fun. I just think it's ironic that there's so much buzz around this new Sub that quite frankly brings absolutely nothing new to the table, while a bunch of genuinely new projects aren't getting half that attention or excitement... Go figure...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Again, I may be missing something here, but this thing looks exactly like the picture posted in the OP, other than, perhaps the crown guard. Is that really it? How could that "spoil the classic" when it doesn't even sway from it? I'm completely failing to see what the big deal is about... Positive or negative...:-s

IMHO they have ruined the classic . look at this pic

Perfect in any way
The new one looks like a baby DSSD. :-x

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
A design becomes classic when there is nothing more that can be added or taken away. So, generally, attempts to improve on a classic design take away or add something that messes with its class.

The Rolex Submariner Oyster w/ date magnifier is probably the most recognized dive watch in the world that is instantly recognized as a status symbol or luxury item. Adding the thickness at the lugs probably doesn't change this, but doesn't really accomplish much, but might generate sales with Rolex collectors who now must have the latest iteration of this classic.

Personally, I would be more impressed with a Bigger, Bolder, Modern Design that either breaks from tradition, or pays homage to Trieste.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Hmmmmm. No sir, I don't like it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts