WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of the newer G-Shock squares still have a rubber shock absorbers inside the case? The older dw5000c, dw5200, and dw5600c all had a floating module surrounded by rubber and a rubber disc between the back of the watch and module. The dw5600e carries on this tradition. My gw5000 and dw5035d do not. They instead have a hard plastic spacer around the module and a plastic disc between the module and case back . I wonder why it's no longer in the screw backs? Do you think this affects shock resistance?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would assume that the soft plastic inserts are sufficient, and the watches still survive stress testing in the lab.

That or they decided to pursue a design that wouldn't rot.

If it's still passing the durability bar set by the early models, it shouldn't matter, right?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The shock absorbers are around the quartz movement itself. It "floats". You would have to disassemble the module, not just take off the back to see it. That said, the GMW series has a red shock absorber between the bezel and case.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
yes, it affects it greatly. so much so they were going to rename that model "partially shock resistant sometimes" but they couldnt fit all the words on the bezel.
conclusion, thrown them in the bin.... or send them to me ;) :-!

seriously tho, do you really think they would change the design and not test it? even if it was some kind of corner cutting (which it seems youre implying) there are plenty of examples of gw5000s on here that have been beat within an inch of their lives and theyre still going. im also guessing youre not going to use them as beaters anyway so you really have nothing to worry about |>

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, it affects it greatly. so much so they were going to rename that model "partially shock resistant sometimes" but they couldnt fit all the words on the bezel.
conclusion, thrown them in the bin.... or send them to me ;) :-!

seriously tho, do you really think they would change the design and not test it? even if it was some kind of corner cutting (which it seems youre implying) there are plenty of examples of gw5000s on here that have been beat within an inch of their lives and theyre still going. im also guessing youre not going to use them as beaters anyway so you really have nothing to worry about |>
I didn't feel it is due to corner cutting. My thought was that it must have something to do with the steel case and screw back. The resin squares still use the rubber surrounding the module and the rubber disc between the module and case back. Maybe when tightening a screw back the rubber has a tendency to grip and turn the module inside the he case. I don't baby any of my G's. They all get worn no matter what I may be doing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts