WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A watch I've had on my radar forever, but for one reason or another I haven't pull the trigger ... until last week!

I don't think I will ever understand how it is possible for something this intricate, and presumably time consuming to produce, to be sold for less than $300 USD. But I also don't want to turn this thread into a discussion discussion human rights and labor conditions in China.

Out of the gate, I'm seeing +11/day.

I am not expecting anything better at this price point, but will certainly give it a few days to see how well it runs on the wrist first before attempting to regulate it.

One last pic to show the boxy acrylic crystal. I know many people consider sapphire to be an upgrade, but for me, I love how an acrylic crystal age over time with scratches that gets polish out, especially for a watch like this thats heavily inspired by a vintage model.

Overall I'm quite please with this purchase as a first impression!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more to show the glistening of the dial. The gold colored indexes contrast very well with the dial, much better in person than my picture would show, and more so than I would've expect seeing pictures online. And the blue hands jump out immediately against the champagne colored dial, no issues with legibility what so ever.

·
Registered
869 Posts
This post finally made me commit to buying the 1963 lol

Reactions: cheu_f50

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This post finally made me commit to buying the 1963 lol
You really should. I also realize the oddly blue colored crown and pushers are actually protective plastic in my previous pic.

The crown got a nice polished star set against a non polished crown surface. There are a lot more details than I had imagined that I am still slowly discovering.

Edit: looks like this is my 1000 posts!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on the purchase they really are great watches for the price

I'll be replacing mine soon with the blue dial version from hked

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Educate me on HKED if you dont mind. What does that even mean? Is it a shop? A watchmaker? I've been on their website but the "about us" page just say coming soon.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Educate me on HKED if you dont mind. What does that even mean? Is it a shop? A watchmaker? I've been on their website but the "about us" page just say coming soon.
There are many versions of the 1963 out there, (seakoss, redstar, sugess to name a few) The quality between all these brands varies it's basically luck of the draw as to weather or not you'll get a good one.

I've had 2 from various brands and both have suffered from hand alignment issues...

The HKED version is made by an ex WUS member called Eddie his version has a different logo more in line with the original watches there's other subtle visual differences too like the square markers and the textured effect on the subdials.

Eddies versions are known to be of a much higher quality than most, he produces in small batches and has a tight QC process for the movement, case dial, handset etc.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
There are many versions of the 1963 out there, (seakoss, redstar, sugess to name a few) The quality between all these brands varies it's basically luck of the draw as to weather or not you'll get a good one.

I've had 2 from various brands and both have suffered from hand alignment issues...

The HKED version is made by an ex WUS member called Eddie his version has a different logo more in line with the original watches there's other subtle visual differences too like the square markers and the textured effect on the subdials.

Eddies versions are known to be of a much higher quality than most, he produces in small batches and has a tight QC process for the movement, case dial, handset
Indeed, after a number of AliX duds I went with a real HKED. I’m glad that I did. The quality, the authentic design and the great experience of dealing with Ed were definitely worth the small premium.

·
Registered
690 Posts
A watch I've had on my radar forever, but for one reason or another I haven't pull the trigger ... until last week!

One last pic to show the boxy acrylic crystal. I know many people consider sapphire to be an upgrade, but for me, I love how an acrylic crystal age over time with scratches that gets polish out, especially for a watch like this thats heavily inspired by a vintage model.

Overall I'm quite please with this purchase as a first impression!

Outstanding watch. Congrats. These are terrific watches with fantastic design, history, and a really awesome chrono movement. The acrylic crystals on mine look better than the sapphires. Well-played! I for one was never able to understand the HKED watches--fine quality and execution, but totally loses the spirit of the watch without the commie red star and Chinese characters for made in China--.中国制造。 The pinyin only doesn't cut it for me, defeats the whole coolness of the artifact, just another watch. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Outstanding watch. Congrats. These are terrific watches with fantastic design, history, and a really awesome chrono movement. The acrylic crystals on mine look better than the sapphires. Well-played! I for one was never able to understand the HKED watches--fine quality and execution, but totally loses the spirit of the watch without the commie red star and Chinese characters for made in China--.中国制造。 The pinyin only doesn't cut it for me, defeats the whole coolness of the artifact, just another watch. YMMV.
Yes I agree and I am generally confused when HKED is suggested as alternative. The vintage inspired dial with the red star is what makes the watch for me.

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,198 Posts
Yes I agree and I am generally confused when HKED is suggested as alternative. The vintage inspired dial with the red star is what makes the watch for me.
That's fair enough, and I have two "star" variants besides my "304" logo pieces, but it's also fair to note that the original Project 304 watches had the logo seen on the HKED variants, and that HKED's pieces were based on two originals: a black variant first posted here by Chinese horological scholar Joel Chan (probably taken from a Chinese watch forum post)--I don't have the photo at hand--and an original owned by Mr. Li Wei of the China Horologe Association (detailed here).

Originals had either pinyin or Han characters.

Here's when I first saw an original, on Li Wei's wrist, in 2013:

And the watch:

These are other photos I have taken of originals during my visits to China...

My collection. As you can see, I like them all :)

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,198 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
That's fair enough, and I have two "star" variants besides my "304" logo pieces, but it's also fair to note that the original Project 304 watches had the logo seen on the HKED variants, and that HKED's pieces were based on two originals: a black variant first posted here by Chinese horological scholar Joel Chan (probably taken from a Chinese watch forum post)--I don't have the photo at hand--and an original owned by Mr. Li Wei of the China Horologe Association (detailed here).

Originals had either pinyin or Han characters.
Great stuff @AlbertaTime. Love your photos and info, as always! Thank you.

I've often wondered about this myself. The historical period in 1963 was fascinating, Chairman Mao had been promoting both the use of PinYin (the romoanized spelling from 1958 that HKED uses) and the 简体字 (jian ti zi) simplified characters to create a new China literacy, both systems on a 1963 watch seem legitimate--just look at your collection! Wonderful.

Seems like Westerners are far more interested in these watches and the story of the movement than an average Chinese, they would perhaps prefer the "foreign-ness" of the 简体字 and historical symbolism of the red star? I do anyway, maybe @cheu_f50 and thousands who got into the Seagull 1963 over the last decade . Makes it more special and visually impressive. Just my take. Sales draw out the actual fact of demand.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Great stuff @AlbertaTime. Love your photos and info, as always! Thank you.

I've often wondered about this myself. The historical period in 1963 was fascinating, Chairman Mao had been promoting both the use of PinYin (the romoanized spelling from 1958 that HKED uses) and the 简体字 (jian ti zi) simplified characters to create a new China literacy, both systems on a 1963 watch seem legitimate--just look at your collection! Wonderful.

Seems like Westerners are far more interested in these watches and the story of the movement than an average Chinese, they would perhaps prefer the "foreign-ness" of the 简体字 and historical symbolism of the red star? I do anyway, maybe @cheu_f50 and thousands who got into the Seagull 1963 over the last decade . Makes it more special and visually impressive. Just my take. Sales draw out the actual fact of demand.
For me, as a person of Chinese desent, born and raised in Hong Kong for the first 12 years of my life before moving to the us, the red star, Chinese characters, the green band and gold hue of the dial are all part of the image of China as I knew it. Instead of foreign-ness, it gives me a feeling of cultural and historic authenticity.

Little did I know ... it does not appear that the red star logo (among a few other details) is historically correct in the context of the origin of this watch, which I must say left me a little disappointed in my own lack of research. Nonetheless, the history behind it all is fascinating, and I am delighted that @AlbertaTime is able to share his knowledge of the brand and model.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts