WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
How’d you get your hands on this?

If legit - and it looks legit to me - I’m a big fan. It’s a SPECTRE SM300 finally without the ridiculous premium that comes with the Bond association. Would prefer the hour bezel but understand that a dive watch needs a timing bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
For me, the seconds hand (lollipop) is a dealbreaker. Other than that, great looking piece.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Subscribed. Looks fantastic! I love the vintage inspired everything, especially no date. Let’s just hope they don’t blow it with a 15 mm + case thickness... The numerals on the dial look better proportioned (slightly larger) than the co-axial 300M as well. The Omega notebook pictured says 2020, not 2021.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Well COVID happened right? They postponed the release.
Thanks. It’s been a bit of a long day, lol

What incentive, if any, does Omega have to make this case thinner versus the current generation? Could this new, thinner sapphire crystal possibly bring the overall case thickness down to 13 mm or less?? That is my only wish and my fingers are crossed!

Reactions: larsjensen

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I like that it has an aluminum dive bezel and what looks to be a brushed centre link and polished outer link bracelet.

I don't dislike the sandwich dial, but I prefer the lume filled, lazer cutout indices and silver painted numerals of the 300MC.

I do, however, love the minimal amount of text on the dial. With the accuracy of their new Master Chronometer calibres, they don't need to advertise it all over the dial...everyone will know about them soon enough.

Not a fan of the lollipop seconds hand. Again, I prefer the spear-like seconds hand of the 300MC.

Overall I think it's a nice looking watch. If I wasn't already spoiled with the design of the 300MC I think I would like it a lot more.

I think this will be well received by the masses...gripes about case size and height notwithstanding.

René

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

What incentive, if any, does Omega have to make this case thinner versus the current generation? Could this new, thinner sapphire crystal possibly bring the overall case thickness down to 13 mm or less?? That is my only wish and my fingers are crossed!
Wishful thinking sadly... I suspect it will be at least 14mm. Reading the material above, it looks like it’s just a new domed sapphire, I don’t think that’s enough to cut it down from the ~15mm it is today.

Contrary to others, I’m a big fan of the lollipop seconds hand. It’s a great vintage inspired nod.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts

As far as an incentive to make a thinner case, I think that would be them addressing the views of many that their watches are becoming way too thick.

I'm not sure if the mid case is thinner than the 300MC, or if they've eliminated the sapphire caseback and gone with a ss caseback, but the new domed sapphire crystal appears to sit well proud of the bezel.

René

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Wishful thinking sadly... I suspect it will be at least 14mm. Reading the material above, it looks like it’s just a new domed sapphire, I don’t think that’s enough to cut it down from the ~15mm it is today.

Contrary to others, I’m a big fan of the lollipop seconds hand. It’s a great vintage inspired nod.

Wishful thinking at best, agreed. For this to be a viable contender for me, would need to at least match the case thickness of Diver 300, which is about 13.5 mm. Any thicker and I’m out. Unreasonable case thickness makes the modern Omegas non-starters for me

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I've always preferred it to the current SMP. However, as others have stated, it needs to be thinner and the lollipop seconds doesn't go with the angular design language of the hour makers and hour/minute hands.

Who knows why major companies like Omega and Seiko can't get these simple things right.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Interesting! This looks legitimate.

What I like
  • Brushed center link and polished outer links in my opinion is a better look than the other way around (Omega has done this in several models, like the '57 Seamaster 300 limited edition).
  • Calibre 8912 updated from 8400. Though they seem largely the same in terms of features (anti-magnetic, double mainspring barrels and so on) I believe when the 8400 was used in the 2014 version there was no METAS certification.
  • Keeps the original 41mm diameter which I think is a great size for a divewatch that straddles the line between modern and throwback.
  • Changed the bracelet so that the first link does not extend past the lugs. For people with smaller wrists where the original lug design extends past the wrist this improves wearability.

What I don't like
  • It says it has an "aluminium diving scale ring". The current model has a rather fetching liquidmetal ceramic bezel. Which, for a modern dive watch, feels considerably more upmarket to me than any aluminium bezel Omega has produced. In my mind this would be a big step backward and a potential dealbreaker.
  • In the picture and description, it appears the oversized crown is no longer straight, but it has a conical shape. I think the straight simple crown is a really clean look remeniscent of older dive-watches like the Seiko 62MAS and the 50's Seamasters. Omega used this conical shape in the design of the new Railmaster and Aqua Terra's and I think it made those watches slightly less attractive.
  • I enjoyed the contrast / combination of the sandwich-style dial and the silver Arabic numerals of the previous version. These kind of "Panerai style" numerals are attractive by themselves. But I don't love them on this dial because it increases the amount of orange lume (I like the implementation and color of the lume but it did not need more of it) and you lose some contrast on the dial.
  • Just like on the Spectre edition for me the lollipop style seconds hand feels out of place. Almost like an aftermarket addition because it doesn't seem to play of the rest of the dial design. The stark white color makes it stand out even a bit more oddly.
  • It says the clasp has only 3 position micro-adjustment, which feels like a step back from the excellent 6 position pushextension of the current model.

What I am not sure about
  • Based on the picture it seems like the "thinner profile" is attained by simply lowering the bezel (making the bezel less 'deep') which exposes part of the sapphire that is now more curved. In the current version the sapphire is curved as well but it sits more flush with the bezel. If this is truly the only difference in overall case design, I am not sure whether I like it, dislike it, or if it doesn't even matter.
  • You can tell from the side that this watch has a different case back. There is no mention of a display case back on the spec sheet. I wonder if it is going to have a solid case back. That might aid in bringing down the thickness. But I personally think it would be a bummer. Especially since Omega creates both interesting and good looking movements.
Overall, if this is accurate and real it is kind of a headscratcher for me. I would love to see a slimmer profile version of the current production model. It is a watch that I already love and would love even more. But it would have to be more than just reducing the height of the bezel. And there are a couple of odd things in this one for me. The aluminium bezel would feel like a step back, as I can not imagine an aluminium bezel that would be as nicely executed and durable as Omega's liquidmetal ceramic bezels. I also do not understand why the glide-extension would be suddenly limited to 3 positions. I like the changes made to the bracelet, but not those of the dial and crown. If this watch were released exactly according to this spec and design, I would prefer the older version.

·
Registered
GS SBGH267, GO PanoMaticInverse, Rolex Day Date 118238, Rolex Explorer 2 16570, JLC Master Control
179 Posts

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
As far as an incentive to make a thinner case, I think that would be them addressing the views of many that their watches are becoming way too thick.

I'm not sure if the mid case is thinner than the 300MC, or if they've eliminated the sapphire caseback and gone with a ss caseback, but the new domed sapphire crystal appears to sit well proud of the bezel.

René
According to pictured specs, they are keeping the sapphire case back, which should make it slightly thicker than if they did a solid SS case back. To be honest, I wouldn’t mind a solid back, especially if it means a sleeker profile overall

·
Registered
114 Posts
Overall looks good. Minor gripe would be the stark white omega text on the dial when everything else is aged patina.

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Deal breaker for me is the damn vintage lume. Love it otherwise but my personal taste hates “aged” lume that’s in fact new. It’s a very handsome piece though indeed.
Yeah I agree. This watch would be on fire if they ditched the fauxtina. Regardless, it's a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Looks good. The female end link on the bracelet should help with the length / lug-to-lug. I always thought the old one was too long lug to lug,
I love the sandwich dial. Could be coming on the new PO as well I guess but with white lumes?

1 - 20 of 167 Posts