WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally I really like the new model it tones down the shine the old model has. I like the look of the new style leather strap. The dial seems simpler and just works. Does anyone wear a 5k dive watch for diving? I believe people buy the best of what they can afford.

·
Registered
596 Posts
... The new stainless steel model will now apparently offer a blue bezel/dial combination, which currently only comes on the titanium version.
Now we’re talking. I would buy the new SM300 in steel with a blue bezel/dial immediately. Fingers crossed for that prediction, hopefully your contact is right.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Now we’re talking. I would buy the new SM300 in steel with a blue bezel/dial immediately. Fingers crossed for that prediction, hopefully your contact is right.
If they get the proportions right, I’d also go for the blue as I already have a black dial Sub

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes it’s a possible weak point. No watch is impervious to damage anyhow. Who cares where someone does or doesn’t wear their watch? Doesn’t make it any more or less of a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True. Makes it more or less of a diver though.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Since the Speedmaster leak was obviously real, I now also think this is indeed an update that we might see in this coming year.

Which also worries me a little. Could Omega really go back from a ceramic liquidmetal bezel to an aluminium bezel? And from a 6 position micro adjust clasp to a 3 position one? That seems out of character as the brand overall seems to always increase specs with each new iteration. And these are two that I think a lot of people care about. I am hoping those two things will prove to be inaccurate and different in the actual release.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
A display back must add a possible weak point.
Scrabbling in rock crevices can damage crowns and crystals without mutilating limbs. None of which matters around the water cooler.
You seem pretty certain about exhibition case backs being a weakness... yet they pass all of the rigorous testing to be qualified as a diver.

And in all of my time reading forums, I’ve never seen ONE case of a display back popping out or being damaged. Please enlighten us with an example to show this actually happens in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts
You seem pretty certain about exhibition case backs being a weakness... yet they pass all of the rigorous testing to be qualified as a diver.

And in all of my time reading forums, I’ve never seen ONE case of a display back popping out or being damaged. Please enlighten us with an example to show this actually happens in real life.
Doesn't Omega make the new version of the Ploprof with 1200 meter water resistance and a display caseback? I am sure there are people who take a puritan stance on such things. There always are. They do have compelling arguments. Something about the beauty of form in service of function, or was it the restraint to allow watches to remain authentic to their utilitarian past? I forget.

Anyway, it does seem that a decent water resistance with a display caseback is quite achievable. At some point, when we have the know-how and the technology, arguing that they are a compromise of some kind starts sounding more and more akin to the argument that windows compromise the structural integrity of a plane. I am sure it was a good argument in the 1910's. Perhaps even the 1920's. But at some point, when the engineers have done their jobs and the world has moved on, it becomes a rather outdated theoretical proposition.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Doesn't Omega make the new version of the Ploprof with 1200 meter water resistance and a display caseback? I am sure there are people who take a puritan stance on such things. There always are. They do have compelling arguments. Something about the beauty of form in service of function, or was it the restraint to allow watches to remain authentic to their utilitarian past? I forget.

Anyway, it does seem that a decent water resistance with a display caseback is quite achievable. At some point, when we have the know-how and the technology, arguing that they are a compromise of some kind starts sounding more and more akin to the argument that windows compromise the structural integrity of a plane.
I think Omega achieved this back in the 1970's. As I was born in the early seventies what I mean is that Omega did this not very long ago 😆
Oh and windows do infact compromise the structural integrity of an aircraft if the windows have square edges as opposed to round 👍

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Hour markers and second hand are deal breakers.(n)

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I like it, a lot.

Especially the sandwich dial. A sandwich dial would be the only thing that would make my Spectre piece better (IMO)

Reactions: JLittle

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I love that it doesn't have a paragraph on the dial. Some brands/models have gotten out of hand.
that's some funny stuff there, caused my mind to go think

the 2021 Omega Seamaster Encyclopedia Edition, with extra writing on the dial
available in your choice of 3 colors

·
Registered
659 Posts
Assuming legit, it is for me, a minor modification to the existing MC.
+
The new numerals (ties to the indices well)
The reduction in dial text (although the MC is not the worst offender for this)
-
Aluminium Bezel - really? this can't be true.
Lollipop second hand (the spear hand on the MC ties to the angular indices well)

I like the beige lume with black but hope they release a blue dial with white lume for a more modern look on steel of course.
I would also like to see options with a 12 hour bezel maybe in steel for a less diver look.
I think the SM300 could really be the basis of a broader more subtle sports watch line, keeping the SMP as the 'real diver' :)
I hope they keep the exhibition back - the movement is one of the reasons I buy Omega.

Assuming the Alu bezel is not true then I think this is a nice progression of the SM300 but not one which causes existing MC owners to trade :)

141 - 157 of 157 Posts