WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I really think it's a no brainer for OMEGA to release a no-date Seamaster Diver 300M. Not only to compliment the Diver 300M line, but also to fill the gap left by the short supply of ROLEX Submariners.

I wonder if this might be their way of testing the waters to see what kind of reception a no date variant would get. They create a unique Diver 300M no-date model with a view to only releasing it to the Swiss military. They leak the picture on their website and sit back to see what kind of response it gets from the community. If the demand is great enough, then they release a no-date variant of the 210.30.42.20.01.001, with polished ceramic dial, white lumed indices, and the usual, white, unlumed, enamel filled, polished, ceramic bezel.

I just think they'd be missing a HUGE opportunity to provide an option to all those folks hoping for a Submariner, but not knowing if they'll ever be worthy enough to receive "the call". They can't be oblivious to the fact that the market is primed for a watch like this.

Rene
I'm not so sure about this. I love Seamasters. Seamasters are a lot like cookies to me. I can't get enough of them.

However, IMO a Seamaster isn't going to satisfy someone who wants a Submariner. They're esthetically very different.

I've always bought a Seamaster because it IS a Seamaster.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I'm not so sure about this. I love Seamasters. Seamasters are a lot like cookies to me. I can't get enough of them.

However, IMO a Seamaster isn't going to satisfy someone who wants a Submariner. They're esthetically very different.

Very true and I could have not have said it any better.

I always say, Submariner might get more smiles, Seamaster makes me smile more.

·
Registered
866 Posts

I both broadly agree that this is how most people buy, and I'll just also say that I assume that SOME proportion of intending Submariner buyers end up going another route when they can't reasonably get their hands on a Sub?

I'm not at all sure that any particular batch of features on a Seamaster Pro is going to draw that group in meaningful numbers, though.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts

I agree. The Seamaster definitely won't satisfy most who have their heart set on a Sub. However, that being said, I don't know how many times I've heard or read about someone realizing that their chance of getting a Sub are slim to nil, and decided to buy something else instead...not necessarily a Seamaster.

I guess what I'm saying is another option for those people looking to spend their money wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially if the option is something like a no-date Seamaster Diver 300M, which has already been talked about by enthusiasts for quite awhile now.

Also, we have to remember that such a Seamaster might just appeal to many others interested in buying a dive watch.

René

Reactions: JP(Canada)

·
Registered
10 Posts
While I don't like the look of (at least the modern) Submariner, I very much like a more toolish, "military" look, so this no date Seamaster, maybe even without a glass caseback pushing the thickness below 13mm, would be a homerun from my perspective.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
According to Archer its only limited to 50 pcs (military use).

:/

|:

\:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
According to Archer its only limited to 50 pcs (military use).

:/

|:

\:
This kind of thing is really annoying!! I can understand doing a limited edition in this fashion...but why, in the name of all that is holy, would you put it on your website??

René

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
This kind of thing is really annoying!! I can understand doing a limited edition in this fashion...but why, in the name of all that is holy, would you put it on your website??

René
I have said it before, Omega are starting to play this limited supply game.

·
Registered
10 Posts

René
Pretty sure someone didn't read the documentation of their central reference database.
At least that's what I assume as a developer.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Pretty sure someone didn't read the documentation of their central reference database.
At least that's what I assume as a developer.
Or he read it carefully. Add to the database, make sure its accessible to add for users. Leave it at that :)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
"We're sorry but this reference is not available for purchase by the general public. We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused."
Gotta say, I'm not a fan of this one-tone design. Maybe a different dial color would be good to make the hands stand out a bit more and be visible?
I kinda like it. If only they'd make a 39-40mm case and get rid of that wart at 10 o'clock.:rolleyes::LOL:

Rene

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Since this amazing, dream version is not for sale to the public, my sincere hope is that Omega would produce this watch in subdued matte finish to case and bracelet and subdued matte blue or black dial and bezel, not something loud and in your face..it would be the perfect seamster IMHO

·
Premium Member
11,840 Posts
"We're sorry but this reference is not available for purchase by the general public. We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused."

I kinda like it. If only they'd make a 39-40mm case and get rid of that wart at 10 o'clock.:rolleyes::LOL:

Rene
I hope they don’t get rid of the wart as for me it’s the easiest defining characteristic when watch spotting.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I hope they don’t get rid of the wart as for me it’s the easiest defining characteristic when watch spotting.
I think it was more a tonge in cheek comment by @Titan II. Omega will never get rid of that, and the bracelet. Its been there for almost 30 years now. Thinking of that 30 years of Semaster Bond are coming up. Seems like yesterday Golden Eye first came out.

I am starting to feel old now.

Since this amazing, dream version is not for sale to the public, my sincere hope is that Omega would produce this watch in subdued matte finish to case and bracelet and subdued matte blue or black dial and bezel, not something loud and in your face..it would be the perfect seamster IMHO
I think they have kept to Seamaster's signature look for quite sometime now. While this brushed matte finish is very much possible for the masses, I think they will jack up the price also. Prices have already climbed up 20% within the year, and are taking away some of the charm Omega had by being a quasi affordable Swiss made well known sports watch. Sort of what Rolex was up until10 years ago.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I typed that last bit with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.😁

The wart, the bracelet, all of it is all part of the Seamaster 300 aesthetic and character. I agree, it should all remain.

René

Reactions: cybercat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any new rumors about this watch?

I find it hard to believe that this special model would only be limited production and distribution for 50 pcs. Wouldn't the watch also have a Swiss army emblem or similar on the dial in that case? I could not find any official information in connection with the Swiss military.

In any case it looks great!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Any new rumors about this watch?

I find it hard to believe that this special model would only be limited production and distribution for 50 pcs. Wouldn't the watch also have a Swiss army emblem or similar on the dial in that case? I could not find any official information in connection with the Swiss military.

In any case it looks great!
If what I've heard is correct, the watch was commissioned by a branch of Swiss military. It is exclusive to them, and that's the reason for the very limited production.

As for having an emblem on the dial or caseback identifying it as belonging to Swiss military, I think that would go against common sense. If, for instance, the watches were commissioned by special forces and a soldier was captured in "enemy territory", or in a country they have no business operating in, the last thing they'd want is for the markings on their watch to tie them to their country of origin.

Can you imagine an agent of a secret service wearing a watch that has the emblem of the service on the dial??

This may all be incorrect, so take it with a grain of salt.

Oh, and nobody wants this watch more than I do. That's not my opinion...that's a fact!

René

Reactions: keisuke_z

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
If what I've heard is correct, the watch was commissioned by a branch of Swiss military. It is exclusive to them, and that's the reason for the very limited production.

As for having an emblem on the dial or caseback identifying it as belonging to Swiss military, I think that would go against common sense. If, for instance, the watches were commissioned by special forces and a soldier was captured in "enemy territory", or in a country they have no business operating in, the last thing they'd want is for the markings on their watch to tie them to their country of origin.

Can you imagine an agent of a secret service wearing a watch that has the emblem of the service on the dial??

This may all be incorrect, so take it with a grain of salt.

Oh, and nobody wants this watch more than I do. That's not my opinion...that's a fact!

René
Can you imagine getting caught by a WIS?

Damn, this dude is Swiss miltary, he has got the damn watch I been wanting for years. :ROFLMAO:

101 - 120 of 128 Posts