WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just received my first Omega watch. Very happy with it, however by looking at the dial, I spotted few things I'm not sure about. Please let me know if this is something normal and acceptable or it's just me being too picky.

1. Two vertical batons at 12 are not aligned with 12 mark.
2. 6 hour marked slightly misaligned.
3. There is a tiny dot above "made" sign.

The watch bought yesterday from AD online so have plenty of time to decide. Wanted to resize bracelet today and enjoy it but will hold until I hear your opinions.

Best regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
The 12 marker looks fine to me, probably just post purchase paranoia (happened to me too) however the spec of dust above “made” would be a bit annoying.

If it annoys you explain it to the ad and ask to exchange it for another

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
  • The 12 markers do look misaligned from the photos BUT when I lined them up with a ruler, they were fine. Could be an optical illusion due tho the waves.
  • The 6 looks fine.
  • There does seem to be a spec of dust/paint above the 'made'.
I had a PO 2500. Long term members will remember it. The markers were also misaligned and there was dust.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The markers at 12 and 6 are probably within spec. The dot is either dust or paint. My new PO had a tiny tiny metal shard stuck under the 6 o'clock index. It's barely visible and to me it's not worth sending it in for warranty work. You have to decide if these things will bother you enough to exchange it, but it's entirely possible the new one will have other things going on as well. If you look hard enough you will find problems with every watch

·
Registered
210 Posts
The markers at 12 and 6 are probably within spec. The dot is either dust or paint. My new PO had a tiny tiny metal shard stuck under the 6 o'clock index. It's barely visible and to me it's not worth sending it in for warranty work. You have to decide if these things will bother you enough to exchange it, but it's entirely possible the new one will have other things going on as well. If you look hard enough you will find problems with every watch
It’s not too hard to find imperfections when actively looking for them. sometimes we need to remind ourselves that these are still mass produced watches.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
It’s not too hard to find imperfections when actively looking for them. sometimes we need to remind ourselves that these are still mass produced watches.
"The loupe is not your friend."

Honestly, none of the things you've shown should bother an owner of a watch of this class in this price range. If I were in this position, I'd consider re-referencing my expectations. The alternative is more angst than joy and that's not what I'm into this hobby for.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
So far, my new (Oct 2019) PO is perfect... touch wood. I haven't taken a loop to it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your thoughts and quick replies. This is my first luxury watch, so wasn't sure what quality I could expect as I want to finally enjoy it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
None of us paid for it and we aren’t going to live with it. So it sounds like it bothers you - is that okay? Sure. If it bothers you then it bothers you. I’d suggest taking it back and asking for a swap.

These watches cost a fortune - what money isn’t wasted that doesn’t make you happy?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
"The loupe is not your friend."

Honestly, none of the things you've shown should bother an owner of a watch of this class in this price range. If I were in this position, I'd consider re-referencing my expectations. The alternative is more angst than joy and that's not what I'm into this hobby for.
In this case a loupe is not needed to see the imperfection under the glass and is unacceptable for $4k spent. It needs to be and should be corrected.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I had a pre wave one and sold it but I still had some photos and the 12 looked perfect when I looked just now.Your 12 is very very slightly misaligned. I know it’s not a for certain measurement as I do not have the watch in hand but I took measurements on a close up of the photo and the 12 indices are about .75mm to much to the left. I would show it to the AD. One way to be certain is to stop the seconds hand precisely between the two indices and the red tip should line up exactly with marker above.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The dust is an issue no question...The misaligned indices are too. I would ask to exchange the piece. You deserve the benefit of the bargain.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I get this is an Omega sub forum so you’ll have more people cutting them slack but this is not ok. I would be pissed and send it back even if it was a watch that cost a third of the Seamaster. OP is not some maniac with a loupe, it’s visible to the naked eye

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you can see it with your naked eyes and it does bother you, then it's probably worth sorting out.

Reactions: giantBOB and MHe225

·
Registered
450 Posts
Return it if you are unhappy. I doubt the next one will be any different, but you should be happy with your purchase.

Remember though, Mazda is not Rolls Royce. You bought a decent watch, but perfection is not why it is purchased. Still return it though, Omega is not the brand for a difficult buyer

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is that another bit of dust/paint right between the 48 and 49 minute markers?
Thanks for pointing this!

I've contacted AD, their manager is on Monday so they will advise what is the best action whatever this means. I have comfort of returning it under 14 days rule anyway so not worrying too much. Just ordered it yesterday and couldn't sleep from happiness 😀

I'm just glad that this is not one of the Rolex hot models you wait months or years and can exchange anytime 😀

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
If you can see it with your naked eyes and it does bother you, then it's probably worth sorting out.
That - many / most here take a loupe to there new / latest acquisition. Or take a photo, display it on a big(ger) monitor, zoom-in, etc. Loupes are too affordable, cameras too good. I am not arguing that you should not quality and "perfection" but have to ask yourself what is realistic?
I have done exactly what I just described with all my acquisitions ..... eyesight is no longer what it used to be when I was a much younger man. I've spotted "imperfections" even in my IWC - none of those visible with the naked eye, not even by people with still perfect eyesight. None of those bother me.
The saying goes that you can't unsee things, so these "imperfections" are now real for you. Asking to have them rectified might lead to new / different imperfections (a smudge on the inside of the crystal, a new, different spec of dust, ....), exchanging for a different unit might reveal different imperfections in that particular unit and make you realize that perfection doesn't exist - at least not at this price range in mass-produced products.

No answer to your question, I realize (I'm also not perfect), but hope to have added some perspective and help (1) living with said "imperfections" and (2) managing expectations.

Congrats on your Seamaster and hope you will (be able to) enjoy it for many years to come

1 - 20 of 67 Posts