WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
That - many / most here take a loupe to there new / latest acquisition. Or take a photo, display it on a big(ger) monitor, zoom-in, etc. Loupes are too affordable, cameras too good. I am not arguing that you should not quality and "perfection" but have to ask yourself what is realistic?
I have done exactly what I just described with all my acquisitions ..... eyesight is no longer what it used to be when I was a much younger man. I've spotted "imperfections" even in my IWC - none of those visible with the naked eye, not even by people with still perfect eyesight. None of those bother me.
The saying goes that you can't unsee things, so these "imperfections" are now real for you. Asking to have them rectified might lead to new / different imperfections (a smudge on the inside of the crystal, a new, different spec of dust, ....), exchanging for a different unit might reveal different imperfections in that particular unit and make you realize that perfection doesn't exist - at least not at this price range in mass-produced products.

No answer to your question, I realize (I'm also not perfect), but hope to have added some perspective and help (1) living with said "imperfections" and (2) managing expectations.

Congrats on your Seamaster and hope you will (be able to) enjoy it for many years to come
I agree to a certain extent. Invisible defects that only appear under intense magnification are probably not defects at all.

However, I've learned myself it's always a good idea to take a very close look just in case. I had a Zenith I posted a thread on here not so long ago where there was a piece of fibre under the dial. Invisible to the eye (and I am lucky enough to have 20:20 vision), but clear under a camera lens. The guidance was pretty universal on that one - get it sorted before it ends up in the movement.

Misalignment also spoils a watch for me.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Is that another bit of dust/paint right between the 48 and 49 minute markers?
I agree there seems to be another dust speck between the 48, 49 minute markers.

I also agree this is unacceptable for an expensive watch of this brand. Exchange for another.
tbis time take your loupe to the AD & bring home a watch that is clear of defects.
for all future purchases from an ADtake your loupe along. Imagine if you had caught tbis at the store...

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
It’s not too hard to find imperfections when actively looking for them. sometimes we need to remind ourselves that these are still mass produced watches.
This is 100% true. I have six nice watches. 1 Rolex, 4 Omega and 1 Grand Seiko and every one has an imperfection of some sort.
How do I know? Because, stupidly, I used a damn loupe to look for them! :rolleyes:
Even my new super duper Ceramic Planet Ocean!

·
Registered
431 Posts
This is 100% true. I have six nice watches. 1 Rolex, 4 Omega and 1 Grand Seiko and every one has an imperfection of some sort.
How do I know? Because, stupidly, I used a damn loupe to look for them! :rolleyes:
Can’t unsee those imperfections!

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
Can’t unsee those imperfections!
I've come to accept/understand, even though we would like these watches to be perfect, that's just unrealistic. Plain & simple.
From what I've read here, Omega class any 'imperfection' that cannot be seen by the unaided eye at a distance of (I think) 25cm as 'within specification'.

Reactions: Nat-e and xInZax

·
Registered
885 Posts
When you put something under the microscope you will find blemishes.

even a beauty queen’s flawless skin will show some pimples if seen under a microscope.

no watch is perfect. But it can be enjoyed perfectly.

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
When you put something under the microscope you will find blemishes.

even a beauty queen’s flawless skin will show some pimples if seen under a microscope.

no watch is perfect. But it can be enjoyed perfectly.
I can see my wife's 'blemishes' from 2 miles away...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Imperfections in luxury brand watches should not be accepted imo. These are not $300-1000 dollar watches. I even send back new ones in this price range if it does not meet or exceed my expectations. They (luxury brands) want to charge these silly high $ they better make the product close to perfect as possible. It’s your $ though...

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
as one fellow member told me in another thread: are you sure your wife is not a member of this forum or has access to it somehow? :)
Nah, she's on about five different handbag forums. :LOL:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Even my new super duper Ceramic Planet Ocean!

you know i was going to buy a Timegrapher & a Loupe but I think I will cease & desist. Like many of you have written, these instruments "destroy watch lives"....

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
You have to be happy so see what the AD says. I returned one watch ordered online because it had a flaw I just knew I wouldn’t be able to live with, but my beloved PO has a quirky bezel pip that I’m happy to live with. Please let us know how you get on.

Nigel

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
..... there was a piece of fibre under the dial .....
Wow, this is even better than 20/20, you have X-ray vision, able to see what's under the dial :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Apologies, Mike, I simply couldn't resist, this was too funny and too good an opportunity to let slide. All in good jest.

I hear you and agree 100% - I should have been more explicit and clearer in my post, because "checking for potential issues" is one of the reasons I take a loupe to my new acquisitions, or (try to) take hi-res images that I "study" on a larger screen. Even more so when there's a display back, I look for "lurking issues" with the movement.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I agree there seems to be another dust speck between the 48, 49 minute markers.

I also agree this is unacceptable for an expensive watch of this brand. Exchange for another.

Loo
Dust speck from 48/49 minute mark has now moved to other part of the dial so it looks like it's loose.

I agree with some comments that nothing is perfect etc, but for premium we pay I'd expect better quality. These type of flaws are common in replicas. One of the ways to tell difference between fake and genuine watch is quality.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wow, this is even better than 20/20, you have X-ray vision, able to see what's under the dial :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Apologies, Mike, I simply couldn't resist, this was too funny and too good an opportunity to let slide. All in good jest.

I hear you and agree 100% - I should have been more explicit and clearer in my post, because "checking for potential issues" is one of the reasons I take a loupe to my new acquisitions, or (try to) take hi-res images that I "study" on a larger screen. Even more so when there's a display back, I look for "lurking issues" with the movement.
No need for x-ray vision to see under the dial on this particular Zenith 😄
Although to be fair the fibre was on one of the hands so you're right, I should have said under the glass 🙂

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dust speck from 48/49 minute mark has now moved to other part of the dial so it looks like it's loose.

I agree with some comments that nothing is perfect etc, but for premium we pay I'd expect better quality. These type of flaws are common in replicas. One of the ways to tell difference between fake and genuine watch is quality.
Ah now that's a red flag for me. If it's moving, then in theory it could end up in the movement, so now it's a potential functional problem not just an aesthetic issue. I'd be firm with the AD - they need to sort that. I'd ask for a replacement watch.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts