WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Love the 025, might have to be the first to check these out... How's that 4R15?

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Love the 025, might have to be the first to check these out... How's that 4R15?
First impressions about the 4r15 are that it is not much more than a rebadged 7s25 with a jewel added to the barrel arbor.

We'll have to wait until someone takes one apart and does a dissection to know conclusively if there is anything new in this caliber.

I have a feeling it will become the entry level replacement for the 7sxx movements.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Thanks for posting...

There is nothing about those watches that would cause me to make room for one in my small collection.

The crown guard is funky (looks like an afterthought), lume is weak, the movement is a middle of the road Seiko auto. I'd rather save a few months for a used Sinn and get the real thing. There are dozens of other Seiko tool watches on the used market more appealing in that same price-range.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Thanks for posting...

There is nothing about those watches that would cause me to make room for one in my small collection.

The crown guard is funky (looks like an afterthought), lume is weak, the movement is a middle of the road Seiko auto. I'd rather save a few months for a used Sinn and get the real thing. There are dozens of other Seiko tool watches on the used market more appealing in that same price-range.
My initial impression was; Wow, I can finally have a Sinn 656 without the high price...then I saw the 'fanny pack' slapped on the side. You're right, it looks just like an after thought :(
Then I realized that the price was quite a bit higher than what a 7s26 model with similar look had cost.

Until I see proof that the 4r15 is not just a rebadged 7s26 with one more jewel added; I reserve judgment on whether these new Seikos are going to be bang for the buck...somehow I don't think so though.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Thanks for the post. Not a fan of these Seikos. The crown guard is a BIG turn off. There are LOADS of alternatives in the price range that are more appealing to me. I'm also wondering what the real difference is with this new movement over the 7s?:think:

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you all regarding the guard and the price. I like the attempt at ne design and I could live with the big guards, but these all new 100M Seikos are really creeping up in price. There's a lot of of options at the $300 point. I mean that's the bottom end of some Orient Stars and pretty close to the 6R15 Seikos.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I agree with you all regarding the guard and the price. I like the attempt at ne design and I could live with the big guards, but these all new 100M Seikos are really creeping up in price. There's a lot of of options at the $300 point. I mean that's the bottom end of some Orient Stars and pretty close to the 6R15 Seikos.
Here are some comparison pictures that tell a pretty convincing story...

Here are some comparison pictures; you be the judge...

7s26A...

My photo

7s26B...

Andrew B photo.

4r16A...

Photo from Yeoman's blog.

All of these movements appear to have the same main plates along with the familiar auto winding systems and balance bridges.

The difference in the 7s26A vs 7s26B regulators can be seen and the newer one is identical on the 4r16A.

I suspect that a tear down of a 4r16A will show the parts to be nothing more than a 7s26B with one jewel added; probably on the main spring barrel.

Unfortunately at the elevated prices of these new caliber watches, I'll not be buying one to find out :think:

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
They look okay. I think the mods done by the members of this forum look much nicer.

I will not buy one as date only is deal killer for me.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
aside from the winding wheels, does the external surface of the 6r15 look any different than the 7s?

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
aside from the winding wheels, does the external surface of the 6r15 look any different than the 7s?
Not from the pictures I've seen. There is a new winding bridge that holds the pawl lever transmission wheel. Otherwise everything below appears to be 7s26B all the way.

I don't have a 6r15 to take apart and photograph so I can't do a full comparison :(

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, yeah, some of the mods look great too, but this is the first Seiko I've seen in a 40mm+ size with no bezel. The fact that it has the dial I'd probably have put on it anyway if I had a chance is great.

·
Registered
421 Posts
saw the 1st in at the shops earlier today...

I love the dial and the hands! and the see thru case back is a plus.

but i have a prob with the crown guard, looks cheap and the date window is kinda small. price i was quoted was about USD250

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Several people did detailed analysis of the 6r15 when it came out 2 years ago or so. The conclusion was that it is a significant change from the 7s series in a variety of ways. TimeZone and Purists are the likely places for those reviews.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Several people did detailed analysis of the 6r15 when it came out 2 years ago or so. The conclusion was that it is a significant change from the 7s series in a variety of ways. TimeZone and Purists are the likely places for those reviews.
Interesting..,I've only seen reviews that indicate minimal changes and those only to accommodate the hand winding parts. :think:

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Interesting..,I've only seen reviews that indicate minimal changes and those only to accommodate the hand winding parts. :think:
Are you talking about the 4 series that started this thread or the 6r series that is used in the Spirit Auto line?

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Are you talking about the 4 series that started this thread or the 6r series that is used in the Spirit Auto line?
The 6r series as found in the Spirits, Sumo and SARBs.

As the 4r series is so new, I haven't seen one torn down yet but it too looks suspiciously like the 7s movement. And since it is auto, non hacking, there is the very real possibility that it is nothing more than a re-badged 7s with one jewel added. Seiko seems to be recycling a lot of parts these days to create new models so it isn't unreasonable to expect they would do the same with the movements.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts