WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Sinn, and I was immediately hit by the "solidness" of this watch. First drawn to Sinn by the 142 ST, but I think the U1 will do for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Accuracy & Questions

I have had this watch for several days now, and I am amazed at the accuracy. These days, I usually only check accuracy early to see my base-line. This guy has only lost about 2 sec. in the past five days.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the U1 in non-COSC. -2 sec in five days is better than most, if not all, of my COSC watches.

I am still getting used to the hands and the large clasp. While the hands are "different", the readability that they provide is incredible. The minute hand overlapping the indices makes this an easy read.

The AR on the crystal is on par with my Breitlings... the crystal "disappears" in most instances. Although is seems to hold smudges - not sure if smudges just look more apparent with the black dial, or if the AR really holds them more than my other watches.

Does anyone have other strap recommendations? I have a 20mm Chronissimo, but I can't wear the 22mm because it does not come in the "short" length. I was thinking about trying a carbon fiber, but this watch seems to call out for a thick strap. How is the bracelet? I love the rubber, but what a dust magnet.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Re: Accuracy & Questions

I have had this watch for several days now, and I am amazed at the accuracy. These days, I usually only check accuracy early to see my base-line. This guy has only lost about 2 sec. in the past five days.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the U1 in non-COSC. -2 sec in five days is better than most, if not all, of my COSC watches.

I am still getting used to the hands and the large clasp. While the hands are "different", the readability that they provide is incredible. The minute hand overlapping the indices makes this an easy read.

The AR on the crystal is on par with my Breitlings... the crystal "disappears" in most instances. Although is seems to hold smudges - not sure if smudges just look more apparent with the black dial, or if the AR really holds them more than my other watches.

Does anyone have other strap recommendations? I have a 20mm Chronissimo, but I can't wear the 22mm because it does not come in the "short" length. I was thinking about trying a carbon fiber, but this watch seems to call out for a thick strap. How is the bracelet? I love the rubber, but what a dust magnet.
My new U1 is running a hair under +4 per day...|> |> but I have a question for you guys regarding straps; does it bug anyone that when you use a regular, straight edged strap, so much of the sides of the case between the lugs is visible, due to the springbar pins being placed wayyy at the end of the lugs? I have a silicon strap on the way that I know will be more comfy than the Sinn rubber, but love the way the Sinn strap fills in that lug space...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tallguy - my PAMs are like that too with straps. I think Omega does that, so they can sell you the OEM curved-end straps... it doesn't bother me anymore.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Tallguy - my PAMs are like that too with straps. I think Omega does that, so they can sell you the OEM curved-end straps... it doesn't bother me anymore.
Yeah, but does the Mickey Mouse do that?:think: :)

Its funny that you say "anymore"......the littlest things get to us WIS, don't they? I've got a coworker who wears what must be a $10 digital watch; and the strap broke so he replaced it with what looks like a 14mm velcro strap; springbars all hanging out! And he couldn't care less..:oops: :rodekaart Sometimes I almost wish I could be like that about watcheso| ....(nahhhhhhhh!!!!b-) )

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so the Mickey Mouse is on a red and blue G10 style...original issue, so Mickey is just fine.

I think I say "anymore" just to try and convince myself that I don't have a problem. :think:

·
Registered
596 Posts
santasmile :-! :-! :-! - enjoy - awesome pickup - contemplating pulling the trigger on one myself!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I am pretty amazed. So again, is this non-COSC? ...even more amazing if it is not.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This U1 is the non-COSC...

I found whatever the watch has gained or losed in a day... If I leave the watch over night with the crown up it will gain +2 seconds, if I leave the watch crown down it will lose -2 seconds... So it's very simple to regulate...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually received some "Simple Regulating" instructions with a Rolex, oh so many years ago.

1) To gain a few seconds: Lay watch flat with dial up
2) To lose a few seconds: Lay watch vertically with crown down
3) To lose more seconds: Lay watch vertically with crown up

I guess you just have to find what works best.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I actually received some "Simple Regulating" instructions with a Rolex, oh so many years ago.

I have such a hard time keeping my wrist in one position while sleeping:-x

JUST KIDDING!

BTW, put my new, thick rubber strap from panatime.com; fits and looks great! :gold "lug affect" is not noticeable at all (sorry, camera is on an overseas trip with the wife!)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have such a hard time keeping my wrist in one position while sleeping:-x
...if I wore this to bed, I'd knock my wife unconscious :-d

·
Registered
145 Posts

Hey jcalka,

Great regulation you got there, will "self regulate" if the second's out. But citing Tallguy... i also have a hard time keeping it still at sleep.

Just a secret for you folks, I only wear my U1 when I return after work. It spends time with me on "bed" only. Well I have a reason for doing so.... thus pardon me....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Does your wife know about this relationship?:-x :-d ;-) :-!
kekeke....

Sounds like some sneaky rendezvous does it?!?!? Yup... she's fully aware, just that I wear a cheaper watch to work and only spends time with the U1 at night. I will get over with obsession soon (I hope.... ) but from the looks of it, folks like Tim and some others in this never seems to get tired of their U, hence I may never wear it out to work for fear of getting dings..... or scratches.... or knocks..... I know its a tough guy but I ain't wanna harm that little fella (refering to the U1) since he's new to our family. Just like how you would wanna keep the baby nice and cosy at home when he's new born yah.....

Hence since I can't enjoy it at work, I enjoy it at home (at night, that is) and during the weekends when I'm not doing anything dangerous... :-d

But since I got my U1, I've been admiring its glow and boasting of it on bed when the lights switched off. Its a beauty both in the daylight and at night!

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Silly to "baby" a U1 for fear of scratches I think.
A big part of what you paid for is the sub steel.
You WON'T hurt it except for a major mishap.
I don't wear watches at work but I'm a machinist and get filthy at times, not to mention the danger of machinery and jewelry.
Congrats on your U1 and be glad you didn't get a UX!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Silly to "baby" a U1 for fear of scratches I think.
A big part of what you paid for is the sub steel.
You WON'T hurt it except for a major mishap.
I don't wear watches at work but I'm a machinist and get filthy at times, not to mention the danger of machinery and jewelry.
Congrats on your U1 and be glad you didn't get a UX!
I agree, I bought the watch to wear from the streets to the courthouse, and intend to do so.....but like your analogy, when your baby ages a little you can let it go out and play:-!

Tragic; why don't you sell that UX, disclose its "faults" openly and knock a couple of hundred dollars off the price? I'm sure someone will snap it up, and you know we have all taken "hits" on watch flips...better to get rid of one that bothers you that much (and I don't blame you one bit! I had the EZM precursor, and after reading about servicing, flipped it in a heartbeat!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts